I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4663 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NikoNiko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm,just a thought , how come something is yours when you get it for free :) Come on , grow up :)

• Hey Google :)Hey Google :) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am angered at Microsoft's ludicrous decision to eliminate the camera roll. So now the time came to upgrade my phone contract and I decided bin my Lumia 830 and move to Huawei P9 instead, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I now get unlimited, high quality backup of all my photos by Google and I don't have to see the stupid "Your OneDrive synchronisation has been paused" messages any longer. That is all I wanted ... synchronisation of my photos on the MICROSOFT phone that I BOUGHT that included a camera roll at the time of purchase. Thanks to Microsoft's greed they have now lost me as a client for ever.

• Chuck RineyChuck Riney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your decision to chop one drive and then take on the idea of arranging out photos into albums, can't handle the me intrusion. Moving everything to Google drive after 7 years of service here. Likely will move email, calendars and all

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a loyal supporter of Microsoft products for many years, but this move of Microsoft to take back data that they had previously given to their users is just simply WRONG. For the last two years I have had a Nokia Lumia 830 and have been happy with it, but what I am not happy with is the camera roll that I got when I bought my phone been taken away! What have you possibly gained by this Microsoft, except alienating your loyal fans. I have complained about this here, I have waited for Microsoft to acknowledge there mistake and restore the allocations to all users. I got so tired of my Nokia phone telling me that the camera sync is paused because guess what, the 5 gig limit is reached! I have had enough and have given up now ... I will never buy a single Microsoft product again thanks to your refusal to listen to your disgruntled users. Bye-bye, Microsoft!

I've been away from OneDrive due to an accident last January and a subsequent surgery in May. I'm only just now prepping to get back to continued education and discovered that my OneDrive is over the new limit. The files are still there in the OneDrive, but I can't download them to my computer because they won't open after waiting for a very long, slow downloading process to finish, or move them to another cloud. They are READ ONLY. I had a pet die last winter, and my only videos of him are on my OneDrive...so please tell me Microsoft, how can I get my files back?

I'm not really interested in paying for MS office 365 subscription since I purchased MS office 2016 for a low price through the University. I had paid for a 365 subscription to use on my iPad and laptop, so I could access documents from either device, but I couldn't install it on the laptop without first removing, and losing, the Office 2016 download I purchased. Since my laptop is the machine I need for papers and taking online exams/quizzes, I let the 365 trial expire on the iPad because it was useless and would never 'play nice' with documents I created in my paid Office 2016. Any other options?

• Keyon O'BrienKeyon O'Brien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im sad to say that i had 150 gb storage yesterday and now its all of a sudden 5 gb max, im only 37 gb over the limit (7000 files and more). I'll just be using google photos from now on and i cannot recommend onedrive to anyone anymore due to the low storage. Im only in high school and i dont have a job or money so its not like i can easily pay for onedrive...Its all good now though...cuz google saves the day as usual!

• Hub van HeldenHub van Helden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft,

as a loyal customer, having an original xbox, 2 xbox 360, an xbox one, 2 Lumia phones a Surface RT tablet, a xbox live gold subscription and many more products I was very displeased that my Onedrive was reduced to 5 gb. Furthermore I was never personally approached by Microsoft that this would take effect. I am very displeased by this discussion. if I would have know that you would reduce my Onedrive space I would NOThave chosen another Microsoft phone or tablet. Please check my email to verify that I indeed purchased all these products,

yours sincerely,

H

• James VickJames Vick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Excel Links to and from One Drive no longer work. After allow 360 Office 2016 to upgrade I can longer perform a simple paste-picture from copied Excel data. Therefore, I find no purpose in continue to carry my drawings on any windows table and certainly will not be buying a Surface Pro. Finally, I can only open one drive files on my phone, while my windows tablet and my notebook PC will not open the office files on my one drive. Oh well, success breeds failure.

I paid 1000 for a microsoft computer. now i have to pay more money for an inconvenient strorage system i didn't even ask to be integrated into my hard drive?? windows 8 was an absolute failure. i bought a terabyte of storage for a reason. switching to apple. i don't have time for your marketing ********

• Thomas W ReichardThomas W Reichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bet I was one of the original Sky Drive supporters back in the day.... I still have the original msn.com email account that I opened with you in 2001... I am upset by you taking away what I thought was a generous gesture on your part, and have enjoyed the 30 gigs I received from you in the past. But now you have taken away 15G and I am hurt. Don't you think the grandfathering in of everyone who has been loyal to you all these years should not have a 1 month timeframe to react to something labeled a promotion? It should have been done automatically... so I am asking for you to honor your gifts from the past.... please let us have our well deserved gigs back!

• Thomas W ReichardThomas W Reichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this considered a promotion? I have been a loyal fan of your skydrive now one drive storage from the early days of the rollout.... had MANY friends follow my lead, and never looked anywhere else but Microsoft products and services....Being a long time loyal advocate for OneDrive, you are letting the people that were there for you in the beginning keep what was given to them which I applaud you for because it was the right thing to do.... But I do not think its right that I had some kind of timeframe, like a month, to find out a promotion "offer" to keep my 30 gigs of storage and now you actually wont give them back even though of my past loyalty to you... So I will ask... May I please have my 30 gigs of storage back that I was given over the years. All my pictures are with you, and documents, and movies.... etc.... I promise that in the future I will continue my storage needs with you and they are coming soon, but this taking away what was given to me in the first place is not right, which I know you all realized... I look forward to a response.... thank you Thomas W Reichard

• EnzoEnzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

possessore di 2 nokia lumia e 2 notebook Windows 10 e un surface.
        Venduto i 2 lumia e sono in procinto di vendere anche il surface.... addio Microsoft.
        già davate la miseria adesso vi prendete anche quella... 5GB di spazio non servono neanche per il backup di un lumia... figuriamoci gli altri dispositivi.

• SbconttSbcontt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had accepted the end of free OneDrive and moved on. Recently I even subscribed to Office 365. We all know that big businesses like Google and MS can not afford to care about their free customers. But sneakily bribing the most vocal protesters with some free storage is unacceptable. Enjoy your dishonest business Microsoft. I have cancelled the renewal and am moving to Google Drive.

Why did I lose the Camera Roll bonus? Is it because I decided to respect Microsoft's decision?

I never heard of any of this, was never contacted about any change, and now, suddenly, I find my storage has been wiped out. Irreplaceable documents knocked out by lying buttfucks that only care for Profit and will **** over anyone just for an extra dollar.

• Steven O'ConnorSteven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE VOTE FOR MY IDEA, IT IS AT THE LINK BELOW:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/15876411-microsoft-should-price-match-with-any-major-cloud

Microsoft should price match with any major CLOUD STORAGE competitor for any customer who was affected by STORAGE SIZE CHANGES

Here is my perspective of OneDrive storage limits and price changes:

There are users out there who have OPTED-IN (they should be completely grandfathered in) and are currently losing their storage. They had either 30GB (Camera Roll Bonus + Base Storage) or 15GB (just Base Storage) and are being reduced to 5GB for no good reason. They have followed all of Microsoft's instructions, they OPTED-IN, they viewed the instructions on: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/10524099-give-us-back-our-storage

These users went to http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage or https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/ to OPT-IN.

In this case, this user (me) has proof of all of this, but I am being reduced from the 15GB (Base Storage) to 5GB (Base Storage).

I have attached a screen capture of my OPT-IN. I also have a short Camtasia screen recording of my mouse clicking going through the OPT-IN process. It is obviously too big to upload here, so I uploaded a single small JPG Windows screen capture as an alternative to a large AVI video file.

Many people already have a copy of Office through their work and have no need to purchase an additional copy.

Could Microsoft please extend an offer for ongoing cloud storage without Office for anyone who has experienced storage limit reductions?

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base