OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,404 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
closed  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4677 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alexandre Rogozine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You just can't back out on your promises to people. People will be offended and choose a competitor service instead.

• Jeff Tsai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

beacuse apple is 5G for free?
    give me a different ideal,OK?
    why not is 15GB+5GB?

• Sam Marvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the higher storage change policy. But atleast keep the lower introductory storage space of 15GB. Why do you a**hats have to be such a disaster at customer goodwill

• Ajey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have linked a family account in my PC,mom's phone with OneDrive so that her pics backup automatically and my 535 has already uploaded 4GB of photos and videos. It is not at all flexible to shift now.. Come on Microsoft don't change the free user's storage. 30GB is all I would need for the next few years. I will get office 365 when needed and I don't want to paying every month for basic storage you people promised. :(

• Gustav Brock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have recommended OneDrive to all clients as the superior solution.

Now it is being cut down to the poorest of all offerings - and totally in contrast to the cloud and mobile focus of Microsofts.

It is one of the most stupid decisions within the last 10 years I can recall - and at a point where you fool customers. The marketing team of Microsoft must be close to suicide as everything in this blog post must be against their advice, and the loyal Microsoft partners are made a laughing-stock.

• Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before I get into this I have a 365 account with the 10TB showing, 5GB refferal bonus, 15GB Camera, 100GB Enthusiast and 200GB Surface bonus. The 300GB bonuses will expire in due course leaving me with 10GB (if they keep referral bonus) + 1TB (dropped from 10GB). The unlimited was an asinine offer to begin with, 10TB would have sufficed.

At the moment I only use 650GB, mainly music & photo's but if I keep going as I am I estimate that I will exceed the limit in 6 months. As with a lot of you here I thought OneDrive was a redeeming feature of the MS ecosystem, I went from just having my server online to using OneDrive; I was not planning to use a cloud system at all before. With the changes to the mobile OS whereby I could access my music stored in OneDrive I decided to use it and synced my entire music collection. Now I face am upper limit even though I subscribe to 365.

Over the years I have got apple & android users to use OneDrive instead of their cloud services, this has led to many taking up MS devices and probably more services. Many sufficed with 30GB free but many chose to take 365 subs to have unlimited storage, I know quite a few over the 1TB mark. It was, for me, a perfect way to edge people over to the MS ecosystem, I mean we are meant to be looking at the long game for this, more people = more apps & more money being spent on said apps.

I have already been let down by MS by supporting their RT devices, explaining that MS have dropped support and now I will have to explain to a lot of people that they will have to consider to stop using OneDrive as the benefit over others is disappearing. This alongside my battle to keep people interested in MS phones, I'm not sure why I am bothering.

They should have kept the 15GB+15GB for existing users at the very least. Lowering the starter amount is okay but keep the 15GB camera roll bonus for new customers. For 365 keep the limit to 10TB. Try and reward customers for choosing your services please MS; 15GB camera roll bonus on Lumia/Surfaces devices perhaps? Make your devices more attractive with your services perhaps?

It's not the end of the world here or anything but overall I do feel that things just seem to be significantly less bright in the MS sphere.

• hund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will Keep my 25 GB free storage and my 15 GB Photo Storage and 100 GB Music Pass Storage! and my 10 TB Office 365 Bonus!!!! You suck! Realy! I will take a look on another Cloud Drive Vendor! Google Maybee! You suck! Realy!!!! I hate you M$$$$$>$$$ "rage quit"

• M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whoever was it that pushed this decision at Microsoft, I have only one thing to say to them:

SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.

• Brian Ladmano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Way to go MS.

I just started using OneDrive last Nov 2014 for my photos and videos then almost exactly 1 year after, I have to go back to Google.

This Christmas, I guess I'll have to buy myself the iPhone 6s+ as your Win 950XL doesn't have Google Photos app.

Oh well. So much for your "cloud-first, mobile-first" Satya.

• Jarno Burger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear OneDrive coders.
    With this new policy that will start in 2016, i have to switch to DropBox , don't take it personally , its just business.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

o dear... very very bad move Microsoft... need to seriously look at alternatives now. wow ..

• Paul Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ouch. This change will impact loads of people I know. I manage my parents machine, I set their computer up and moved their Docs & Photos etc onto OneDrive, keeps their stuff safe. Their storage hangs around the 20GB~ mark, both them and my sister all have Windows Phones, and one of the key selling points I used to get them onto this platform was the OneDrive automatic backup of photos, when she's snapping all these photos of her kids she wants to know the photos are safe, and despite lost and broken phones, she hasn't lost any photographs yet. It's a great feature.

None of these people are technical wizards, they didn't know how to set any of this up, or how to move things off, I did it all the couple of times a year I'm visiting and they and won't have a clue what's going on. Features they've relied on will just stop working, and I'll be getting phone calls about it.

So now I'll be trying to sell them onto Office 365 Home (which I use myself in my household), when they're both retired and my sister is a single mum I'm not going to lie, its a hard sell, and makes the overall Microsoft ecosystem less attractive.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Downgrading to 5Gb is a very bad idea, especially for Camera Roll. It's just another reason why I should go somewhere else instead of buying the next Lumia.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, I totally agree on limiting Office 365's unlimited storage. I'm fine with 1 TB for the money.
    BUT the rest is just stupid. Instead of wiping larger storage plans, you should have added MORE. Why no 500 or 1000 GB plan? Even over the Office 365 limit.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base