OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,401 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
closed  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4677 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Carlos Ramos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the new Microsoft: one that completely ignores its users in issues like Windows 10 upgrade nags, only cares about "productivity" i.e. business and enterprise customers and treats home users as a annoyance (how dare they use more than 5 GB without paying! Now they should delete their photos!), accesses a user account 75 TB account to see its contents and then punishes the entire userbase for it, even those using little more than 5 GB, etc.

I already miss the Ballmer days.

• Nikolay Pavlov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Revoking a bonus / reducing the scope of a service is always a bad thing in any business. I simply can't comprehend how MS think they will make a good face with this. It is so bad for company's image that it hurts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uhhh....and again, uhhh...
    Of all the things they decided to change they chose the OneDrive-the singe best service they have. I have 7.92GB and now what? The glorious mighty IT giant is telling me that i have too much? Jesus, is it possible that Google (as much as i dislike it) does almost everything better in the end?
    People who compare MS with Dropbox are simply being dishonest. You don't compare an IT giant with a small sized company. I don't know, i'll vote on the uservoice but if they slam this into our faces it's gonna be game over for me. How could any responsible manager treat users like scumbags? Why did they send me bunch of emails over the months enticing me to use the OneDrive with 15GB? Why they boasted so proudly that i now have additional GB, up to 30GB? And when i have 7.92GB (not even close to what they convinced me over the months i have available) they simply said:
    "F**k off dude! You're having too much!"

Let me finish this: If apple gives me also 5GB for free, what stops me from buying iP6 instead of the long awaited L950? What? Microsoft's better app eco system?LMAO
    If Google gives me 15GB for free, what stops me to buy a new Nexus instead of L950? What?
    There's no way on Earth i'm gonna use different platforms-i prefer speed and efficiency instead of fooling around different services. If i'm on MS (as right now) then it's MS all the way. If they force me out of OneDrive....it'll be good bye from me.

• Fredrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unlike your Surface, Bing, Enthusiast, Samsung, etc storage bonuses, the Free and Camera roll bonus are not time limited. Lowering and/or removing these are really crappy.

http://i.imgur.com/flJzYSD.jpg

You'll loose many OneDrive users if you go through with this......

• Ragnar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kinda get it. The unlimited plan was overkill (but pretty great tho) and easy to abuse, but lowering the free amount from 15GB to 5GB was their dumbest move. That just makes them look like a second class cloud service.

Either way, I'm an Office 365 sub, and 1TB is plenty for me, so I'm not really affected by this

If the example they mentioned, of those users uploeading 75TBs of movie collections, were pirated content etc, then the guys storing it there weren't really bright. No cloud service, that wants to be taken seriously, allows pirated content to be stored in their servers. Thats just obvious.

The bummer about this, though, is how it might affect content creators (think YouTubers or filmmakers etc) who may store backups of all their projects on OneDrive. I could easily see the likes of Pewdiepie (did I spell that right?) storing a shitton of content in the cloud... although these people might qualify for some "OneDrive for buissness"-like deal... idk...

• Mohamad Al Karbi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that MS want us to move toward Office 365 (that includes 1TB) but how can I trust Microsoft any more?

I´ve paid my license with an unlimited storage on One Drive. Mybe, i never will use it. But it´s not fair, to reduce it after payment. I cannot reduce the money, i´ve paid for Office, so you can´t reduce the storage option. I want trust the companys, where i´m a customer.

• Dissapointed Loyal MS Fan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox always online cr4p, Windows 7,8,10 privacy and spying concerns, Windows Phone debacle (no apps, making us wait for MS apps while other platforms already have it, etc.) and now this. Can't take it anymore MS, I've been your loyal fan and supporter for past 10 years or so but enough is enough. I am going to check competition and move all my family and business there.
    Farewell MS...

I have been a huge fan of Onedrive, but with the removal of placeholders in Windows 10 and now the removal of unlimited storage I am quickly losing Faith in this project. There is no longer anything that separates you from the competition.

• Vinny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

someone explain to me ho I can abuse 15GB of my camera roll storage. Doesn't the word unlimited means store what you want, how much you want? Instead of removing it, add some constraints, at least then we know what to expect

• Gabor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, I can agree with MS with the limitation, as some of the users have 75+ TB (!) data uploaded. Anybody could me explain, what is so important to store this huge amount of Data? This is ridiculous.
    Only one thing due Im sorry this decision: this is too drastic, they could give us (subscribers) i.e. 10Tb space, since this is year 2015 and the age of the HD videos.
    I make feature films, music videos and if I want to archive my videos, 1TB will be not good enough.

• Brian Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

o dear... very very bad move Microsoft... need to seriously look at alternatives now. wow ..

• AG Hadden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened? You guys getting too much good PR that you had to return to your heady and foolish days? Have you forgotten how your stubborn pigheadness before XBox One launched that you lost the public trust and Sony swooped in and took your customers and won the current generation console war? Are you really the deluded and stupid to think in this day and age your Office Suite is so superior that people will roll over and give up unlimited storage just to work in Office? I get unlimited storage from Google Apps, yet I used OneDrive and Office because they worked well together and I got unlimited storage. Well, you fools, you lost me. I'm going all Google Apps! To hell with you!

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I planned on getting the Lumia 950XL but now I'm having second thoughts due to the free storage reduction for camera uploads...what are you guys thinking?!?!?! Are you cancelling the service? You might as well because OneDrive just fell to last place in cloud storage...the competition will eat this dumb decision up. BAD MOVE

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm absolutely stunned. MS just completely destroyed OneDrive. If unlimited storage was the problem, why not just reduce unlimited storage? They're making it really hard to recommend MS tools to friends and family.

• Johannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Instead of focusing on extreme backup scenarios, we want to remain focused on delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that benefit the majority of OneDrive users." [from the OneDrive-Blog]

Microsoft honestly: Are you serious to punish the many for the abuse of OneDrive by the few? How can "the majority of OneDrive users" benefit from a restriction of their free storage which has been available since before SkyDrive? I can completely understand the restrictions for unlimited storage to 1TB. But please let us keep our free 15GB (+15GB for photo uploads)! OneDrive has always been a superior cloud storage for consumers and it was just recently getting better with co-owned folders. But with this change OneDrive is becoming really just another cloud storage solution :/
    I'm very disappointed.

• Vince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will post my comments here but as you are apparently shutting the uservoices down as well I guess you won't read them. As per other users I agree 75TB is way too much but to be fair to the people using it you did offer Unlimited Storage so you were taken at your word. When I got my unlimited storage it started at 10TB, I had just over 1TB at the maximum but this would go up as we used our phones and they automatically upload photos as you want us to do and as I put more and more of my music into Onedrive as you want me to. Whilst I agree unlimited storage is probably not a wise move limiting it to 1TB is a bit too much the other way why could you not limit it to the initial 10TB this certainly for the immediate future would be enough storage for 99.99% of people. This coupled with the removal of smart files in Windows 10 really is making Onedrive a waste of time and I can see why people will now be moving to other cloud providers, if one of them wanted to really hurt Microsoft they would offer 10TB at a ridiculous price and steal most of your customers. If Google did this not only would it hurt your Onedrive business but I for one would then move my Music as well to Google and cancel my Groove subscription hurting that part of your business as well. It is such a shame as everything else has been doing great at Microsoft Windows 10 is a good product and you have listened to your customers. But now we all feel like we have been kicked in the teeth with this. Hopefully someone from Microsoft will respond to these but I doubt it.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base