OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,404 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
closed  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4677 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will companies realise that unlimited means, to the public, exactly what is says? Equally, if 'a few' are grossly exceeding a perceived limit or secret internal limit then, obviously they are known to MSFT, and should be dealt with accordingly. The announcement from MSFT impacts and affects all users and, suddenly, OneDrive storage capacity doesn't look as enticing as it once was, especially when thinking about the new Lumia's coming out with great camera, better photos and auto-upload to OneDrive meaning more storage required .....

All of the above can't really have escaped MSFTs attention, can it? I really do think it's very poor marketing and communications. It could have been so much better by realigning storage caps - no unlimited but tiered caps with free to paid tiers. Initial entry above what the competition has and photos still @ 15GB to promote usage of MSFT/Lumia phones and other Windows and third party hardware/software to use this storage. Of course, if you really start using OneDrive then you'd expect to pay, but taking a scythe to data caps and making it 5GB is draconian. Like many others I'll look again at my dormant cloud accounts with the competition and see whether they offer better value for me.

I think MSFT have really taken the 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' approach on this issue where a more considered and practical approach would have complemented their recent product launches and cemented public approval for the new MSFT (i.e. mobile first, cloud first). Nadella, what are you doing?

I'll keep it simple. 5GB is a joke. I have Office 2010 for Home and Students, our family has 2 Windows tablets, 3 Windows Phones, 3 Windows Laptops and 2 Windows Desktops. To keep it simple we use one single MS-account (mine) for all the data we put on OneDrive (as a family). That also means that 15 GB remains mostly unused (3 members) for practical reasons (unless you give us the ability to merge them somehow).
    Not feeling particularly rewarded right now. I'm one of the last defenders in a crowd of people feeling the allure of Android and Apple in general. It's becoming an impossible job.

Glad I hadn't got round to buying the Surface Pro 4 or 950XL as they've now been neutered. I assume microsoft will also provide a way to migrate all my data to another cloud provider now they've radcially altered the contract.

I can't believe the reports I'm reading today. I'm having my storage options reduced because some people that aren't me abused your service? I've been the biggest OneDrive evangelist you've got, but no more. You know who's abiding the service. Get rid of them and let the rest of us enjoy it.

• Tien Ton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just trust-breaking. While you're at it, how long will it take for you to reduce even more?

"But Microsoft wouldn't do it because 1 TB is reasonable"

Well, I thought the same thing before too!

• unhappycamper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft,

I am in agreement with many users here. I have had a SkyDrive account from the beginning, have been running Windows Phone back from when the Lumia 800 was first introduced, have a 920 currently and was looking forward to the new phones. All this time I've been ' defending ' MS towards friends and relatives about the App Gap, telling them how nice the OS is and stressing the good things like OneDrive storage. This year I've been backing up all my personal photo's from over the years (a painstaking process) to online storage with OneDrive. And now you just wanna up and throw all my space away? Maaaaan I'm not even gonna contemplate getting a Lumia 950, or paying for Office 365 (which I don't need). I have been with you from the start and now you letting me and the other customers suffer for a few 75TB users. I'm not even sure that is a real reason, more like a fabricated argument. You will just lose more customers and not gain more. I might as well remove win10 too. Very upset about this, feels like a stab in the back. If this plan is not rolled back before 2016 you will lose an advocate and gain and enemy. Ugh !

• Ros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a boneheaded move. Imagine, millions of users forced to move their files even if they have given 12 months to do this. I am a Lumia user and I am terribly disappointed by 15GB to 5GB move. I've heard that even the 15 GB camera roll bonus will be removed and possibly Loyalty bonus as well.

Why persecute millions of users because of some people that abused Onedrive?

• Kevin McIntosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really bad call. Why punish everyone one for your mistake of offering unlimited storage? Onedrive was what kept me on the windows platform, even with my appless windows phone. As an owner of 4 surfaces 6 windows phones I am off to rethink my options. I could have told you it was a bad idea to offer unlimited plans, but backing out of that AND then punishing every other user is just dumb. Yes I have an office 365 account but you have really misjudged this one.

• Paul Ashton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this will prove a nightmare for me. At the moment I have 130gb of OneDrive storage (this includes 100gb of enthusiast bonus which is due to run out in February anyway). I only use 16gb of this storage which is about 8gb of music, 7gb of photos and the balance on bits and pieces.
    From 2016 I will be reduced to only 5gb of storage. Any extra will cost £1.99 per month. Extra Itunes storage of 50gb only costs 0.79p per month.
    My phone contract is up for renewal this month. I will be seriously tempted to change my allegiance to Apple unless Microsoft changes their pricing structure.

Wife, daughter, son, me. All Windows Phone, Surface and pc users with OneDrive. After limit to 5GB we'll buy our Xmas-presents: 4 Android smartphones with Google Drive. I'm sick of Microsoft. Your marketing sucks! Until now I've always been for Microsoft. But now I no longer like. That was the drop that broke the camel's back.

This is atrocious. i have been a big time advocate of all your services. now am questioning myself for sticking with you guys for so long. i ldid not let the whole wp 7.8 debacle make me hate you guys but that was the first time you broke our trust. this time you have gone too far. roll back these changes you have announced or get ready for a massive exodus of fans that have stuck with you through thick and thin. sleazy move this, really. you just cant defend ths. its actually funny that you cite the guys misusing the unlimited tier to screw the guys on the free storage tier. hilarious and sad

• TrashBin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand reducing those limits a bit, but I choosed OneDrive instead of GoogleDrive / DropBox because it was offering me 34GB of space!

• WW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand that there is a need for limits, but launching onedrive as the glue in the ecosystem to share data, and next limit it to 5GB is a curious move. The smoothness and ease of the experience for sharing data between my phone and PC just took a serious blow. Given the move to unify those experiences more with Win10, this move makes not much sense if you want to convince people to stick around in that ecosystem. Keep at least the 15GB bonus for Windows Phone/Windows Tablet users, to reward those customers invested into your ecosystem.

I don't trust you anymore after this move! Considering moving away from every Microsoft service!
    Imagine how evil you will get again once you have your WIndows 10 monopoly !!!!!! Watch out guys, Microsoft is still the same old evil company. They will mess you up and change things all the time.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable Microsoft! If it really is true that the storage will be reduced from 30GB (incl. Windows Phone storage of 15GB) to ONLY 5GB then I definitely won't order the Lumia 950XL! I use this storage for all my pictures and music!

• H. K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My trust in microsoft is completely gone by this strange gigabyte takeback show. First they stopped with onedrive in windows 10(placeholders) so i had to stay with windows 8 and now this. I use 15 + 15 gb by photo's from camera. I have stored more than 5 gigabytes so onedrive is useless in 2016. I think microsoft is punishing all free users. And free users did not abuse the storage rules but the payed users did. Which microsoft started begin this year. No more microsoft tools for me.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base