I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4667 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ArchTechArchTech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is totally a bad move! This puts OneDrive into just another cloud storage in the market, especially the reduced free storage from 15GB to useless 5GB, OneDrive is now a costly and unattractive cloud storage for everybody.

http://i.imgur.com/E2BGJTP.png

I've been a user of Microsoft cloud services since Live Mesh days and Microsoft still didn't learn much about its past. I thought OneDrive was starting to be a best cloud storage out there until the removal of Placeholders and now this decision.

Seriously Microsoft, why should we even invest and use OneDrive if you just keep screwing us users. This decision doesn't solve the problem but instead digging up a graveyard for beloved OneDrive service.

Remember Microsoft, you have a strong competitors and users will switch to other services and might not come back.

• Charles TyldsleyCharles Tyldsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an incredibly shortsighted move. Clearly aimed at getting more people onto the paid Office365 sub, when in fact all it'll do is drive a way a huge amount of users. I now feel stupid for recommending Onedrive to all my family, I'll have to help move everyone away over the Christmas period.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Onedrive a lot in tandem with my Windows Phone for my photo storage but now I will only be allowed to have 5 GB free? I'll have to pay for something that I won't be using 90% of the time? So much for my next phone being a Windows Phone one...

• John DoeJohn Doe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only 1 TB for Office 365 users? Then I am only able to place for 36 years documents online. :-(

• NicoNico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous decision. One large reason to take a lumia phone was the 15gb extra on storage for the photos. When this is being reduced to max 5gb there is no reason to use any lumia anymore and ill go look for other options. And android seems to make a good chance with 15gb free data storage.

• DieterDieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been taking pictures with various Windows Phones for years now and now use more than 5 GB of OneDrive Storage. Now I need to pay for anything over 5GB of storage? I guess I need to get rid of some of those precious moments, tucking them away in some shelved backup external HDD, where I will hardly ever see or share them... Not cool.

• MartienMartien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive Storage was going to be a "feature" not an "option" for Office 365 users, MS said earlier this year, so much for that dream!

I understand a limit of 10 or even 1 TB per account, but this giant step back is unfair to most people who use OneDrive...

As a long time user of cloud storage, I was very happy when Microsoft started to push SkyDrive. 15Gb and later the 15Gb for picture storage was what I wanted. I even started to say to people they should get SkyDrive (later renamed to OneDrive) instead of Google or DropBox. But with only 5Gb, OneDrive offers me less than what DropBox does. At least with DropBox I can really share folders with others. Which means that as soon as my various promotions end, I'll take a year subscription to DropBox instead of OneDrive.

• JohanJohan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that people that uses 75TB of data for dvd etc is too much. Why affect all OneDrive users if you also could downgrade the unlimited users to 1TB. That is fair for everyone.

• SanderSander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the best things of the Lumia devices is the extra 15Gb OneDrive storage for photos. This makes Lumia the shiny one star of all phone brands. It is a pitty to see it is now becoming as gray as all the other ones.

Oh dear, why punish every OneDrive user instead of only the guys who went over the top?
        I guess it's time to switch to another storage service..

• kurwakurwa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yo wtf microsoft this is fucking bullshit. i'll definitely switch to another cloud service if this will be pushed through.

• MiboMibo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thus this is Satja's 'cloud first' vision? It is really a shame that Microsoft has nothing learned from the past; first offering bonusses and then make you pay does not result into goodwill from your customers. M$ could have easily implemented a fair use policy, that would only affect the 2% that is ruining it for the whole community, but would have a dramatic impact on costs. 5 GB is not interesting and realistic in 2015 anymore. Well, back to Google Drive then :-).

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base