I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4667 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel MDaniel M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the question...Why makes us pay for those who went over the top???? Microsoft should penalize only those users with disproportionate storage, I have only 2 TB and do not think that is disproportionate to some users with 75 TB , I do not think my account 2TB make the system unstable and possibly i do the accounts of 75 TB . I think 5 TB or 10 TB capacity is sufficient for the vast majority of users.

• KazufumiKazufumi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The storage of 15 GB or more for free accounts is very attractive for non-Windows users.
        With it, I thought I can recommend Windows devices to my families with this very nice service.
        Because most of my family can't organize pictures they uploaded to the cloud.
        So, without the 15 GB of storage for free, there's no advantage for users as a service.
        If your company's storage is almost full, I think you'd better to limit the unlimited account to up to 10 TB or less, and advertise great free 15GB.

Thank you for reading this option.
        And how do you think about it?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I continue back up my image on my Lumia 1020 with only 5gb of storage? What was the purpose of my purchase then? To copy every single file everyday?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't revert the free storage from 15GB to 5GB and eliminate the camera roll bonus. The current amount of storage provides a considerable advantage over iCloud and the rest of your competition.

• David GrimDavid Grim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I purchased onedrive for the unlimited storage rollout that was to "continue over the coming months." It's been a year since the announcement. Can we at least get an update on this?

• Michael HalberstadtMichael Halberstadt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm collecting screen grabs of Microsoft One Drive promises (http://morethanyoucaretoknowabout.mhalberstadt.com/?p=169) and suggest you all do the same. I really honestly don't know why this isn't newsworthy like the VW diesel scandal. Microsoft a huge company promises something in public, zillions of people buy their product, only to find months later that they will be told only in private that that product was never available.

It would be like you rented a car to drive from SF to NYC and were stranded in rural Kansas when you passed the 1,000 mile mark. But you (the car company) said unlimited miles... I'm sorry sir, whatever our ad said, it's 1,000 miles. Would you like to buy more miles at $.3 each?

• Michael HalberstadtMichael Halberstadt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After reading the OFFICIAL OneDrive blog post about unlimited storage (https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage/) , I purchased a Office365 year subscription. This was a few months ago.

Today checking the sync errors I found that I was getting an error that my OneDrive was FULL. I contacted tech support and they acknowledged that the posting was real, but I still only get 1tb of storage. Their fix was I could buy more space.

I purchased this plan because it offered unlimited storage. There is no retraction on the page, presumably people are still signing up thinking that's what they will get.

1 2 230 231 232 234 Next →

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base