I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4663 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven O'ConnorSteven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HERE IS THE LINK TO MY PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF BEING OPTED-IN TO KEEP MY ORIGINAL STORAGE AMOUNT:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/15467607-have-solid-proof-screen-captures-of-opt-in-from

PLEASE ADD VOTES UNDER THE "VOTE" FEEDBACK PAGE. MAYBE MICROSOFT WILL RECONSIDER THEIR CURRENT POLICY OF INDIAN GIVING AND RENEGING ON THE ELECTRONIC CONTRACT OPT-IN OFFER THAT PEOPLE DIGITALLY SIGNED LAST YEAR (WHICH GRANDFATHERED YOU IN ON YOUR ORIGINAL STORAGE LEVEL).

• DsageDsage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seventeen years a hotmail user. You rewarded my loyalty with additional storage. I accepted with gratitude, and deepened my loyalty.

Then this happened. Tell me about how I ought to react to this gesture towards seventeen years of loyalty?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess it's my fault for not taking advantage of the one free year of personal storage, which is now unavailable, but my only excuse is that I didn't know much about how One Drive and the storage worked, and thus, didn't know what the little I heard about it, meant to me. Of course, now that my 5GB is full, I'm having to try to find out what I can do with my files.

• JosephJoseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has "accidentally" cancelled my Groove and OneDrive subscriptions in what the support representative has called "a glitch". 7 years with Zune/Groove, 5 years with SkyDrive/OneDrive.

The rep had no clue what would happen with my music purchases made through the Zune credit system. They had no idea how long I'd keep my files after their ***** up.

They just kept sending me a link to this.

I've invested in a Surface Pro, Windows Phone. I've invested in these cloud services for years, and their support system has failed to fix an issue of their own making.

I'm infuriated, and Microsoft is now out a paying customer. Honestly, I'm probably one of the last ones.

No problem, there are enough other platforms ... just removed OneDrive from my PC and bye bye ....

• DankoDanko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never received an invitation nor was told this will happen. I have been loyal Windows Phone user and Microsoft Sky Drive from the start and now One Drive... but it is obvious Microsoft is loosing big time. I will soon move to Android and google services with taste of defeat in my mouth but unfortunately looks like Microsoft is shooting at their on legs with purpose. Does they really get paid to make such stupid decisions?

• ArtifexArtifex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable. I never received any notifications about this offer to maintain the 15gb storage, and only found out this month about this reduction in free storage space WHEN IT HAPPENED. I used to be an unfaltering advocate for Microsoft, but this is something that I could never defend. I'm moving my entire business away from Microsoft now until they straighten up their poor business practices, if ever - because judging by this little fiasco, it won't be happening anytime soon. Apple and Google, here we come!

Siete stati disgustosi e scorretti, abbassare i miei 32 Gb a 5 in maniera unilaterale.
        Mai più mi fiderò dei prodotti microsoft

This is the worst decision ever from Microsoft. I am glad I have Google drive. Some respect doesnt hurt.

I wasnt notified and wasnt aware of this huge storage reduction. Is this way the Microsoft CEO trying to replace Bill Gates.? Sorry, maybe the Board should replace him.

It is really a shame. After more than 30 years loyality to Microsoft, I think it is time to move to Google Drive after limiting storage to 5Gb.

• Greg HiltonGreg Hilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Onedrive storage has just been reduced hugely.
        I followed the link in Dec 2015 to keep my 15gb + 15gb camera bonus but that appears to have been revoked on the 11th August 2016.

I remember going to this link to ensure I kept my space as I emailed my family reminding them to do so and the email is dated 12th Dec 2015 https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

What can be done to honour this and get my space back?

• Jason GrossJason Gross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I received absolutely no notification of this change until this month, when it was already too late to sign up for the promotion. What possible reason could Microsoft have for making the promotion expire in January without notifying its users, other than to ensure that as few people as possible made use of it?

• DisappointedCustomerDisappointedCustomer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You deleted my storage and i never received an email. I found out about this because my storage was gone. I was a huge advocate for you before and would like my 30gb back. This is what i used with my copies of Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 that i bought and used in conjunction to store my college work.
        Please do what is right/ethical and restore my data.

Looking through the blogs, why in the world were some people notified and others like myself were not. A couple of days ago my limit just shrank. I was surprised I had too much up there but then discovered it wasn't me, it was Microsoft. I then found out I could have gotten it restored but of course there was no warning, just disappeared and now all of a sudden it's too late to get it back and I'm out of luck. What in the world are you thinking? Do you want Google to just get bigger and bigger? If it can't get fixed I'm moving over to google.

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base