I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  AdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4669 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas W Reichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bet I was one of the original Sky Drive supporters back in the day.... I still have the original msn.com email account that I opened with you in 2001... I am upset by you taking away what I thought was a generous gesture on your part, and have enjoyed the 30 gigs I received from you in the past. But now you have taken away 15G and I am hurt. Don't you think the grandfathering in of everyone who has been loyal to you all these years should not have a 1 month timeframe to react to something labeled a promotion? It should have been done automatically... so I am asking for you to honor your gifts from the past.... please let us have our well deserved gigs back!

• Thomas W Reichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this considered a promotion? I have been a loyal fan of your skydrive now one drive storage from the early days of the rollout.... had MANY friends follow my lead, and never looked anywhere else but Microsoft products and services....Being a long time loyal advocate for OneDrive, you are letting the people that were there for you in the beginning keep what was given to them which I applaud you for because it was the right thing to do.... But I do not think its right that I had some kind of timeframe, like a month, to find out a promotion "offer" to keep my 30 gigs of storage and now you actually wont give them back even though of my past loyalty to you... So I will ask... May I please have my 30 gigs of storage back that I was given over the years. All my pictures are with you, and documents, and movies.... etc.... I promise that in the future I will continue my storage needs with you and they are coming soon, but this taking away what was given to me in the first place is not right, which I know you all realized... I look forward to a response.... thank you Thomas W Reichard

• Enzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

possessore di 2 nokia lumia e 2 notebook Windows 10 e un surface.
        Venduto i 2 lumia e sono in procinto di vendere anche il surface.... addio Microsoft.
        già davate la miseria adesso vi prendete anche quella... 5GB di spazio non servono neanche per il backup di un lumia... figuriamoci gli altri dispositivi.

• Sbcontt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had accepted the end of free OneDrive and moved on. Recently I even subscribed to Office 365. We all know that big businesses like Google and MS can not afford to care about their free customers. But sneakily bribing the most vocal protesters with some free storage is unacceptable. Enjoy your dishonest business Microsoft. I have cancelled the renewal and am moving to Google Drive.

Why did I lose the Camera Roll bonus? Is it because I decided to respect Microsoft's decision?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never heard of any of this, was never contacted about any change, and now, suddenly, I find my storage has been wiped out. Irreplaceable documents knocked out by lying buttfucks that only care for Profit and will **** over anyone just for an extra dollar.

• Steven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE VOTE FOR MY IDEA, IT IS AT THE LINK BELOW:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/15876411-microsoft-should-price-match-with-any-major-cloud

Microsoft should price match with any major CLOUD STORAGE competitor for any customer who was affected by STORAGE SIZE CHANGES

Here is my perspective of OneDrive storage limits and price changes:

There are users out there who have OPTED-IN (they should be completely grandfathered in) and are currently losing their storage. They had either 30GB (Camera Roll Bonus + Base Storage) or 15GB (just Base Storage) and are being reduced to 5GB for no good reason. They have followed all of Microsoft's instructions, they OPTED-IN, they viewed the instructions on: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/10524099-give-us-back-our-storage

These users went to http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage or https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/ to OPT-IN.

In this case, this user (me) has proof of all of this, but I am being reduced from the 15GB (Base Storage) to 5GB (Base Storage).

I have attached a screen capture of my OPT-IN. I also have a short Camtasia screen recording of my mouse clicking going through the OPT-IN process. It is obviously too big to upload here, so I uploaded a single small JPG Windows screen capture as an alternative to a large AVI video file.

Many people already have a copy of Office through their work and have no need to purchase an additional copy.

Could Microsoft please extend an offer for ongoing cloud storage without Office for anyone who has experienced storage limit reductions?

• Steven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HERE IS THE LINK TO MY PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF BEING OPTED-IN TO KEEP MY ORIGINAL STORAGE AMOUNT:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/15467607-have-solid-proof-screen-captures-of-opt-in-from

PLEASE ADD VOTES UNDER THE "VOTE" FEEDBACK PAGE. MAYBE MICROSOFT WILL RECONSIDER THEIR CURRENT POLICY OF INDIAN GIVING AND RENEGING ON THE ELECTRONIC CONTRACT OPT-IN OFFER THAT PEOPLE DIGITALLY SIGNED LAST YEAR (WHICH GRANDFATHERED YOU IN ON YOUR ORIGINAL STORAGE LEVEL).

• Dsage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seventeen years a hotmail user. You rewarded my loyalty with additional storage. I accepted with gratitude, and deepened my loyalty.

Then this happened. Tell me about how I ought to react to this gesture towards seventeen years of loyalty?

I guess it's my fault for not taking advantage of the one free year of personal storage, which is now unavailable, but my only excuse is that I didn't know much about how One Drive and the storage worked, and thus, didn't know what the little I heard about it, meant to me. Of course, now that my 5GB is full, I'm having to try to find out what I can do with my files.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has "accidentally" cancelled my Groove and OneDrive subscriptions in what the support representative has called "a glitch". 7 years with Zune/Groove, 5 years with SkyDrive/OneDrive.

The rep had no clue what would happen with my music purchases made through the Zune credit system. They had no idea how long I'd keep my files after their ***** up.

They just kept sending me a link to this.

I've invested in a Surface Pro, Windows Phone. I've invested in these cloud services for years, and their support system has failed to fix an issue of their own making.

I'm infuriated, and Microsoft is now out a paying customer. Honestly, I'm probably one of the last ones.

No problem, there are enough other platforms ... just removed OneDrive from my PC and bye bye ....

• Danko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never received an invitation nor was told this will happen. I have been loyal Windows Phone user and Microsoft Sky Drive from the start and now One Drive... but it is obvious Microsoft is loosing big time. I will soon move to Android and google services with taste of defeat in my mouth but unfortunately looks like Microsoft is shooting at their on legs with purpose. Does they really get paid to make such stupid decisions?

• Artifex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable. I never received any notifications about this offer to maintain the 15gb storage, and only found out this month about this reduction in free storage space WHEN IT HAPPENED. I used to be an unfaltering advocate for Microsoft, but this is something that I could never defend. I'm moving my entire business away from Microsoft now until they straighten up their poor business practices, if ever - because judging by this little fiasco, it won't be happening anytime soon. Apple and Google, here we come!

Siete stati disgustosi e scorretti, abbassare i miei 32 Gb a 5 in maniera unilaterale.
        Mai più mi fiderò dei prodotti microsoft

This is the worst decision ever from Microsoft. I am glad I have Google drive. Some respect doesnt hurt.

I wasnt notified and wasnt aware of this huge storage reduction. Is this way the Microsoft CEO trying to replace Bill Gates.? Sorry, maybe the Board should replace him.

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base