I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4667 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason GrossJason Gross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I received absolutely no notification of this change until this month, when it was already too late to sign up for the promotion. What possible reason could Microsoft have for making the promotion expire in January without notifying its users, other than to ensure that as few people as possible made use of it?

• DisappointedCustomerDisappointedCustomer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You deleted my storage and i never received an email. I found out about this because my storage was gone. I was a huge advocate for you before and would like my 30gb back. This is what i used with my copies of Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 that i bought and used in conjunction to store my college work.
        Please do what is right/ethical and restore my data.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking through the blogs, why in the world were some people notified and others like myself were not. A couple of days ago my limit just shrank. I was surprised I had too much up there but then discovered it wasn't me, it was Microsoft. I then found out I could have gotten it restored but of course there was no warning, just disappeared and now all of a sudden it's too late to get it back and I'm out of luck. What in the world are you thinking? Do you want Google to just get bigger and bigger? If it can't get fixed I'm moving over to google.

What in the world? With no notices to me all of a sudden our storage on one drive was cut to 5gb. We don't use one drive heavily but for inner office use in our church. This is crazy. If we can't get back at least the 15gb I guess it will force us to go more over to google. We were holding out for MS but this is ridiculous and to do it without any warning!

• S.MurrayS.Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another dissatisfied customer here. What high-handed behaviour from Microsoft. I refuse to pay more for less. I am not going to use onedrive at all.

• Alberto LamadridAlberto Lamadrid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently received some emails stating that my account will be reduced now to 5GB and looking at my account it shays that now it has 10GB temporary bonus. I started looking online about this and I see that some users were notified before and that allowed them to take action to have the plan extended.
        However, I did not receive such notification. It seems the issue is due to the fact that I have my account language in spanish. I contacted the microsoft one drive team, but I never heard back, even though I sent repeated emails.
        Today I see they just went ahead and reduced my space. They have an offer to have a one year subscription, which requires a form of payment that assumes I am in Mexico - I cannot change the country, nor the state.
        Overall this is incredibly unfair and outrageous. How come having the setup in a different language excludes you from all normal notifications you should give to your customers!!

Please contact me as soon as possible to rectify this issue and figure out what to do

Again,..
        MS has managed to **** off it's loyal customers.
        This time with it's BS One Drive changes,.. again.
        Good riddance MS, as you have been slowly over the years been migrating me over to your competitors.
        One Drive was your last product I will be leaving for good.

Dirty filthy thieves and liars. I will do everything I can to change my company's policy to use an operating system other than the dishonest Microsoft. I am also selling my Xbox on eBay and getting a PlayStation. Ugly marketing went too far this time

• Roman AirRoman Air commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Marketing /liars. You really failed. I had 30gb, now 5. You like a girl with "weather mood" syndrome. Go fu** yourself.

• klooerklooer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was not informed anything about this promotion. The first email I received from Microsoft is the notification about shrinking the storage this April. Why? Please reopen the promotion. Thanks.

Is this some kind of joke Microsoft? I wasn't told ANYTHING about this, I sign in today to find out I only have 5GB and the 'promotion' to get 15GB+ has conveniently ended.
        Either reopen the 'promotion', give us back our storage or I like many others am going to go and use another service. Absolutely appauled.

• Gordon ChanGordon Chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just decided to replace all my family's phones to Android. I have about 6 top range Lumia phones and they are due to upgrade. Microsoft is giving me zero reason to stay on and it is quite unfair to drag my family down with me.

Just a insight for those of you owning shares in Microsoft. Get out now. Don't wait for Fairfax to offer to buy your shares as a last resort.

• Gordon ChanGordon Chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft's latest actions to reduce/cancelling the, so called, Loyalty Rewards are apprehensible at the very least. There should be an public enquiry about this and a partition with signatures to voice our dissatisfaction is totally warranted. There should be a public riot or a simple boycott.

On the other hand, why do we care if Microsoft have people who are so determined to proof that they are do better than Blackberry and not listening to their own/existing consumers. If MS only own 5% of the mobile phone market, why not strife to be totally irrelevant? I have been a loyal supporter of Microsoft Phones and still am (or rather maybe at this stage). With pure determinations, I have steered my whole family, including my parents, away from Apple iPhones and iPads AND Android phones. Tried to settle them into a Microsoft account and using OneDrive to lock them into the eco-system. I consistently talk about the positive aspect of Microsoft eco-systems and their pure-heart determination to catch up with Apple and Google.

Tell me, all you Microsoft bean-counters and marketing gurus, have I done the right thing by my family and friends? Is it time to give up and join the leading groups and not continue to suffer the indignity of not having day-to-day apps that Android and iPhone users enjoy? Should we continue to be loyal to MS when this loyalty is not returned respectfully? What do you do with friends like these? The answer is simple....don't you think?

• Steven O'ConnorSteven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HERE IS THE LINK TO MY PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF BEING OPTED-IN TO KEEP MY ORIGINAL STORAGE AMOUNT:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/15467607-have-solid-proof-screen-captures-of-opt-in-from

PLEASE ADD VOTES UNDER THE "VOTE" FEEDBACK PAGE. MAYBE MICROSOFT WILL RECONSIDER THEIR CURRENT POLICY OF INDIAN GIVING AND RENEGING ON THE ELECTRONIC CONTRACT OPT-IN OFFER THAT PEOPLE DIGITALLY SIGNED LAST YEAR (WHICH GRANDFATHERED YOU IN ON YOUR ORIGINAL STORAGE LEVEL).

• Sheldon IrvingSheldon Irving commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I lost my 30GB too, reduced to 5GB !!!

in the past I had 25GB, and was reduced to 7GB even though I opted in (never got an email though). Had to fight to keep it, and never won. I was under a gig so they didn't offer it me back. Once again I am loosing my 30GB. I was using Office Live Spaces and I had 25GB when it became skydrive and when they had sync. Been a long time. had Hotmail since the 90s

• Angry User #72431Angry User #72431 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everybody boycott Onedrive. Microsoft keeps making terrible business decisions, messing over their customers without regard to their feelings. If you didn't want to keep doing this, you shouldn't have started in the first place. Nobody would've complained. But when you make a promise, you cannot take it away without making people mad and showing your true colors. Business decisions need to be make with secondary consequences in mind, or you will reap the results of your bad decisions. I will let everybody I know make sure to never to use Onedrive, or trust MS. I had 40GB of free storage, I was loyal user, and it's all taken away because of somebody who didn't think about secondary consequences.

Bye Bye Microsoft! Unbelievable. Moving all my photos to Google. I'll probably even end up buying storage from Google or Apple, but NEVER will I buy from Microsoft!!! How on earth could doing this to your users be considered a good business move?

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base