I suggest you ...

Give us back our storage

Recently, a blog post was announced detailing that you would be reducing our free and paid storage. Only 1TB for Office 365 customers, and only 5 GB for free customers. I have been a long-time OneDrive fan, but after this upgrade I can no longer recommend it as my promised storage has been taken away. Some of us actually store a normal amount of stuff in OneDrive. Why makes us pay for those who went over the top?

72,425 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian S.Ian S. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Douglas PearceAdminDouglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage.  These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

4667 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven O'ConnorSteven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is a short transcript showing an OneDrive escalation agent not accepting the photographic proof: [OneDrive: Problem report #30099-207043]

From: OneDrive help + feedback <1drv@supportcenteronline.com>

Hi Steven,

I just wanted to review everything here. We made no changes to existing accounts until Early 2016, the only changes that happened in Late 2015 were the announcements, and we stopped the Camera Roll Bonus at that time for new accounts. Existing accounts kept their storage through all of 2015.

We won't require the video or the screenshot but thanks for the offer. I am going to have to reiterate the offer is for Office 365 Personal for 1 year. Let us know if you would like to take advantage of it.

Thanks
        Marcantony
        OneDrive Escalations

• Steven O'ConnorSteven O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have solid proof (screen captures) of opt-in (from last year) for 15GB free space on OneDrive, opt-in not honored after examining evidence.

There are users who have OPTED-IN and are losing their storage. They had either 30GB (Camera Roll Bonus + Base Storage) or 15GB (just Base Storage) and are being reduced to 5GB for no reason. They have followed all of Microsoft's instructions, they OPTED-IN, they followed all the instructions on: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/10524099-give-us-back-our-storage

These users went to http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage or https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/ to OPT-IN.

In this case, this user (me) has proof of all of this, but I am being reduced to from the 15GB (Base Storage) to 5GB (Base Storage) after qualifying and doing everything Microsoft asked.

I contacted tech support several times and they just attempted to sell me Office 365 instead of acknowledging the digital OPT-IN that was completed last December before Christmas.

I have attached a screen capture of my OPT-IN. I also have many technical support transcripts (which would take up too screen space to post here).

Why am I, along with other people losing their space after they followed all the rules. We have dotted all the "I"s and crossed all the "T"s. What is the deal? I even have the pictures to prove it.

May I please have a rational explanation why this is happening, even if you refuse to give me my opted-in storage back?

(Under this ONEDRIVE FORUM -> SEARCH FOR 15GB to see the photograph or SEARCH FOR

"Have solid proof (screen captures) of opt-in (from last year) for 15GB free space on OneDrive, opt-in not honored after examining evidence."

• Guilherme CastroGuilherme Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very inconsistent the decision to reduce the space in OneDrive, rather than build customer loyalty. I was very dissatisfied with the drastic reduction of my storage limit for negligible 5GB.
        I recorded my dissatisfaction.

Guilherme Castro
        gcast2006@live.com

• Stefano ManiscalcoStefano Maniscalco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cara microsoft io ho un lumia 925 che ho comprato perchè mi avete detto che tanto la sim non serviva visto che avevo 15 gb gratis su onedrive e ora me li togliete?
        Allora vi porto il cellulare e mi aggiungete una slot per una microsim???

• welitonmawelitonma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Por que não limitaram apenas as contas ilimitadas, sendo que as contas gratuitas já eram limitadas?

Descaso com que usa o serviço, o que vai acontecer que em massa muito usuários irão migrar de serviço e comigo não será diferente!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally frustrated - afraid of losing files from my PC. Next computer will be a MAC! I am an Angry windows user.

No problem [2]. I switch to Google drive too which gives us unlimited photo storage and the 15GB. I used to use Onedrive app in my Android. Now, not anymore. Thanks for helping us.

"Your one-drive is full." Thanks a lot Microsoft.:( My Windows Phone device has stopped syncing photos and it was one of the best features of my phone. I am so hating Microsoft right now!!!! :(

how can I move the storage on One Drive back to my computer and close my One Drive Account.

• R CR C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive"! I am loyal user, but never received any communication with such a link to reserve. It's unfair to not announce and just have a secret page for sign-up only open for a month!

• MichaelSydneyMichaelSydney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for sticking with you?

How come we loyal users were not informed of the "concession" which expired in January? You ain't getting my money and I won't be buying any more Lumia.

• MichaelSydneyMichaelSydney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS have lost me. My Lumia has limited memory but came with a "free" cloud storage. Where did it go? Where is my compensation?

What a strange business decision to have made. Should I complain more? No, just admit it is time to give up on Microsoft/Nokia and leave this sinking ship.

• EphixaEphixa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac just got my business 100%.
        Im done with the glitches.
        Im done with the shoddy patches.
        Im done with the indian giving.

Dont give things to customers, if you are just gonna take it away from them.

At least Apple is consistent. I just have to pay for everything. But I dont have to worry about it going away.

I learned this working for your xbox tech support division:

Dont make expecations you cannot meet.

I believe thats in your training material

• epixepix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy decision! and also uncommercial... but it's your decision. OneDrive is an excellent service but now i'm looking for other places. If the problem is the uncorrect use of the unlimited storage, limit it at 1TB and stop. Dont' touch the 15GB space. If the problem is getting money... Good job!

• angry userangry user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

give them reasons to me why I should not give my Microsoft products and Trespassing to konkurenz. the network of my device is no longer guaranteed. this unique selling point they have taken away so that even

Thanks for this - I recently bought a new laptop and also a microsoft windows phone so that I could link up easily etc etc.
        Two months in and now you tell me it's all been reduced
        Unbelievable!!!

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base