I suggest you ...

Provide Ransomware detection and recovery

We are seeing an increase in this cases of cryptowall and ramsonware, were users see their computers infected with this virus.

The virus will encrypt all user files (jpg, pdf, xlsx,docx, etc.) except system files.

It would be very helpful, to have the option to have OneDrive files restored to a previous date, even if that option was only available at a OneDrive Support level.

If this option is not possible, due to server space to store all info in duplicated, it would be easier from the technical side to block .ccc, .micro, and other known file extensions in OneDrive.

This would preserve the integrity of the user's files stored in OneDrive and add an extra layer of user's files stored in OneDrive.

Thanks,
Alex

2,100 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex T. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

Big update — Today we’re rolling out ransomware detection & recovery for Office 365 Home & Personal subscribers. We can now detect ransomware attacks and help you restore your OneDrive to a state before files were compromised. If an attack is detected, you will be alerted through an email, mobile, or desktop notification and guided through a recovery process where you’ll be able to restore your files to the state they were in before they were compromised.

To enable the recovery process, we’re bringing over the Files Restore feature from OneDrive for Business to your personal OneDrive account. Files Restore allows you to restore your entire OneDrive to a previous point in time within the last 30 days. In addition to helping recover from an attack, Files Restore helps with an accidental mass delete, file corruption, or other catastrophic event.

For more information, check out our blog post here — https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2018/04/05/defend-yourself-from-cybercrime-with-new-office-365-capabilities/

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this in ODFB as well, including alerts to system admins so the IT organization can react!

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news that it has been implemented for consumers, but does the ransomware detection part apply to OneDrive for Business as well? It isn't clear to me after having read the blog post.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You cannot restore individual files that have been encrypted by ransomware. OneDrive thinks that it is a new file and has no history. This makes OneDrive a very poor choice for cloud storage and I cannot continue to use it for myself, my business, nor recommend it at all. The entire drive needs to be restored, individual folder restores, and option to prevent encryption (if possible).

This feature would a great addition. Click a button to do a restore of a user OneDrive folder. This would also be beneficial if a user left a company and moved or deleted all their One Drive files on their way out the door.

• Ken Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something to keep in mind for all those who may have been hit by ransomware. You can open a support case with Microsoft and have them restore all your OneDrive files to a previous date that you specify. Just be prepared to wait 1 or more days for the request to be completed. Just tell them that you got hit by a ransomware attack and need to rollback to a certain date and they will handle it. That said, if we had a way to do a rollback ourselves as soon as we realized there was a problem, then the turnaround would be much faster and it would free up Microsoft support to handle other support requests. I think this feature would be a win/win for Microsoft and its customers.

• Alpesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, if this option is available to restore direct Folder for prevision version this is best now we are using business onedrive.

• Jonay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Nowadays with all those Ransomwares around It would be a great addition.

• Jonay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have such an option. I mean, the option to revert Onedrive (or a single folder) to a previous date. Now that we have version history for all types of files I think that It's something that would be done and would be great against this kind of malware.

2 months down the line, but you are still thinking about this. It would be nice if OneDrive is user needs driven.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Annoyingly the previous versions of files is not available via the API either, as it would be trivial to write a script to restore the previous n - 1 versions, or the previous day's state.

• Simon Limberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also add for entire OneDrive root folder, for full restore to previous days (in case of ransomware attacks and wipers etc).

← Previous 1 3 4

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base