OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable long file path for OneDrive for Business

My 1GB of storage part of my Office 365 Business subscription is more or less useless because I get the "File name too long" issue with most of my files.

The following request is now closed as completed but I have voted on it with OneDrive for Business in mind (and I'm sure a lot of other other users did!).
https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/6325774-enable-long-file-paths-aka-file-name-too-long-p

So, OneDrive for Business users, make your voice heard and vote for this!

2,088 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Francois Dumas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

129 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our research institute just this week rolled out Office 365 and OneDrive Business for every staff member - more than 700. We will be dumping it immediately. Scientists often work with deep nested folder systems and long descriptive filenames. This renders OneDrive completely useless as a solution for most scientific purposes. I am quite shocked at how useless it is, and how long they have left this problem unsolved. Poor show.

• Corey Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, MS needs to get their tools working correctly. I'm about to dump Office365 for the entire orginazation. I'm hearing the same from IT pros in my groups.

At this point, OneDrive, which we jumped to 365 for in the first place, is useless. The latest is this long file name ****. I'm reduced to wasting my time renaming files that aren't even close to the limit, and now I've come down to files that are 2-3 characters long, such as 123.jpeg and it says that is too long.

What a joke.

• Robert Slater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous, MS. Your cloud storage competitors provide better long file path support for _your_ Windows operating systems than you do. It's pretty simple-- any cloud file storage solution you offer must absolutely support the longest path lengths and possible characters/file names/extensions that your currently supported operating systems do. Anything less is an embarrassing failure on Microsoft's part. I used to expect better of you, MS. More and more often though, I'm coming to realize that your company's current MO seems to be, "Do as little as possible, and claim it's all anyone wanted."

• Madness Gamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to suggest you, try LongPathTool program to resolve this issue.
    This tool is very helpful to resolve the issue.

This is not even close to fixed:

https://imgur.com/lUFxA8A

That's with long paths enabled in Windows 10. The only thing worse than it not working is having Microsoft pretend / claim it's working because we trust / rely on the information.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This solution does not solve the issue that many people have. I have a client that can't use One Drive's storage at all with his Office 365 because of long path names.

I deleted a folder that the path was too long but it still recognises it and wont open one drive

• Saravanan Ramasamy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 29-May-2018. I still have the path length issue with the OneDrive for Business. The 1TB space they provided in the OneDrive for Business is a waste because 95% of my files didn't sync due to the long path length.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, what is wrong with you Microsoft? How have you not yet responded to this. How do you never respond appropriately to any issue faced by users ever? Why do I always have to trawl non-Microsoft forums to find useful answers? Business is business, and sometimes that means very long file paths and file names. Absolutely ridiculous to suggest we reduce our file paths and/or names. It is now May 2018, with this post originally created in May 2016.... I Just have no idea where your heads are at. Absolutely dumbfounded.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jason Moore : the link I followed had how to use # and % in file names but I didn't see anything about long file names

• Tim Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can as well use Long Path Tool which will solve all your problems with OneDrive.

• Prakash Chordia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to see the full file names in Onedrive. It is so difficult to use OneDrive as quite often a large number of files have the same beginning I.e. USA Trip .....or same or similar ending I.e. .....Nov 2017. It makes it impossible to find the file you are looking for. It is very strange the Microsoft is dead sleep on this serious problem but which could be very easily fixed.

• peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear @JasonMoore, a good process would be to follow up with user reactions after deployment. Checking on "your" community how it likes it. Oh, and yeah, you posted the wrong link. Nice work.

Regarding the "Boom! It's done": yes, implementation seems to roll out.(check the rolling out section on the roadmap https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-roadmap?). Though the new limit wasn't posted here. It's up to 400 from previously 260, which will ease many pains - I still don't consider this solved...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base