I suggest you ...

Office sync should come turned off by default

The most common question from forums I attend is from people that want to disable sync Office documents that are stored in OneDrive folder.
I know the team is working hard to make a better sync, but the general opinion is that by OneDrive should be shipped with this option turned off by default because it slows down greatly the user experience.

106 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Felipe Costa Gualberto shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reaching out to us. It’s quite important that documents saved in any OneDrive location sync successfully to the cloud. We work closely with Office to ensure that Office documents work great, too. If you have files that you don’t want to sync to OneDrive, please do put them in folders outside of OneDrive. If you’re seeing problem sync’ing, we’ll need to connect you directly to support. You can reach out through the “?” and “Email support” link on the website.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Felipe Costa Gualberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Douglas, there is a misunderstanding here. We want all files to sync, but we don't want the "inside Office application syncronous sync when saving". We want office files to be synced in backgroud, as a TXT file is synced.
        But now, things got worse: in OneDrive for Business, it is not possible anymore to turn off Office's application syncronous syncing. It seems Microsoft has just imposed this way of working and doesn't allow users to turn off this setting.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Joe Finney. This isn't hard to turn off, and would be more problematic if it shipped off by default.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree I don't like that when I make reminders and events in my personal assistant app it automatically uploads the files to my company sharepoint site, also takes the file out of my one drive and makes it public on share point

• Joe Finney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just don't save documents in OneDrive if you don't want them to sync there. What you say is the 'General Opinion' is not widespread.

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base