I suggest you ...

Please don't auto-create the email attachments folder

Please stop with the folder creation!!!!!!!!!!!!
I choose what goes in my drive!
If i wanted a folder called 'email attachments' i would
create one .. its annoying having to delete them everytime i come bk to onedrive

621 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LozLoz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: give the option to remove or disable the auto-created folders.  ·   · 
    Office 365 Japan Support TeamOffice 365 Japan Support Team shared a merged idea: The “attachments”-folder is being displayed  ·   · 

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto - with the same number of exclamation points! Another Microsoft "feature" nobody asked for and nobody wants.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously guys - it's been months - do we have to move to Google Drive if your lazy butts can't fix a simple request?!?!?!

• Jason MaedlJason Maedl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't get what everyone is in such an uproar about. I'm assuming this is set up this way to mimic the "library" function in Windows, which is pretty handy. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but it IS useful if you do.

It is one thing to say you don't like it, but I think the suggestions that it makes everything complex are ridiculous. Especially the ones about "Camera Roll." Where else would you like the images to go? Into the main folder?

As with everything else, perhaps it should be an option.

• Jame WongJame Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not just the email attachments folder. If the folder exists, don't recreate it.

Example 1: One Drive - Contoso exists, don't create One Drive - Contoso (1)

Example 2: Email attachments existed and then deleted. Don't re-created it.

Stop creating folders I don't want, I don't need Microsoft to assume I need a documents or email attachment folder. At the very least give us the option to remove them, don't put them back when we chose to delete them.

• Subscription customerSubscription customer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paid oneDrive subscription user. My iphone OneDrive app appears to be be auto creating a folder called "email attachments" which seeds to my main "cloud" folder tree and clutters quick access to main folders. Auto creation started end of 2016 or Jan 2017. Absolutely no use for the folder. UI is supposed to be intuitive and customizable; this auto folder creation feature is neither. Please correct in next update.

Took advantage of free extra space offer on onedrive with auto photo upload only to have that plan pulled once public was trained and hooked. No problem,... but this useless email folder with no explanation/option to tweak is not a good branding move for those looking for best in class tools.

Other links with correction status available? thanks

• AHMAHM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time to switch to Google Drive....or better solution megasync...and i'll have 50Gb free space not useless 5GB

• Martin ToftMartin Toft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that you should NOT create a folder that the users have not asked for. Please stop creating such folders!

• WillWill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strong reactions from others! On reflection though, I have some sympathy. Could these folders not be created as required by Microsoft apps, rather than by default? On PC, I now have a number of folders that have been automatically created over the years which ultimately creates a more complex, deeper folder structure.

Google would have no folders, Microsoft appear to want lots.

I am all for a basic top level (Documents, Pictures, Music, Video make sense to me) but could these defaults be customised by each user, if required at all. I assume the idea is that iOS OneDrive will replicate photos to the Photos folder. That emails sent with Outlook mail will not acutually embed the attachment but rather a link to the file that is put in the email attachments folder. How about allowing a user to configure their preferred photos upload location (on a per OneDrive account basis, that the iOS, windows etc install can then use) and not create the email attachments folder until this function is actually used by the user for the first time?

• Justin BelcherJustin Belcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a new OneDrive user this is super frustrating. Stop auto-creating the Documents folder as well. If I delete it, I want it gone!

One of the most annoying things Microsoft has done.... STOP CREATING THE **** FOLDER!!!!!!

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! It's annoying to keep seeing that every time I open OneDrive. I want to get rid of that folder permanently.

• JesseJesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in complete agreement with others in this thread. I like my folders the way I've organized them. I do not need an e-mail attachment folder, nor do I need a documents folder. "Thinking about it" does not leave me particularly hopeful... Just stop creating folders.

You guys did it again!!! After "documents", that we have now asked to be able to delete permanently for 2years (including camera roll folder)... we now have "email attachments" ><
        This is the worst ! Why don't you organize my whole folder while you are at it ?

Anyway, I'm already moving elsewhere BECAUSE of this - and, as I am sure am not the only one, you probably won't get much feedback from people who left angry...since they already left, and won't bother writing on this suggestion board since it is useless.

I think i have found a potential solution to this annoying problem, but it probably will only work if you don't use Outlook for your email. I would delete the email attachment folder when I logged in to the online OneDrive site. The folder would delete but it would return when I logged in later. Then I realized that the folder had synced to my hard drive. Since I did not delete the folder on my hard drive the same time I was using the online version of OneDrive the next time OneDrive would sync with my hard drive (or vice-versa) the email attachment folder would appear. I delete the folder from my hard drive and from the online OneDrive site and I have not seen the folder appear again. I did this about 3 days ago and I don't see the folder. Again, I'm not using Outlook for my email. I betcha if I opened Outlook, the folder would again be created. But for those you do not use Outlook, this might be a potential solution.

Hi Douglas. On the other hand, I accidentally deleted the email attachments folder. I created a new one but it isn't being recognised by Outlook. Any advice on how I can get it back?

• C EarleC Earle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so annoying and intrusive. Why do I need an empty folder I didn't create? I don't use Outlook, so it won't ever be used. And I have a specific way I like to name my folders, and this ruins it. There's no reason you should be creating folders in my Onedrive, especially since I pay for it. At least let us permanently delete it. Ugh.

← Previous 1 3

OneDrive: OneDrive.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base