I suggest you ...

Duplicate files/photos ( duplicates )

Like other suggestions I would like a way to not have duplicate files/photos, to save space.

Can we have some specific way to:

1) run a "duplicate" search that can automatically delete files/photos based on a name, size and date
2) search for duplicates and then list them all in name order, showing name, size and date to then give option to review then delete
3) a file compare search for similar looking files, then the option to delete one(s)

6,148 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

147 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a more permanent solution than this to eliminate duplicate files, I concur with the following suggestion: "Why doesn't Microsoft create a system similar to a shared folder on a network. When a file is open, and another user tries to open it to edit, the system tells them that the file is unavailable to edit, and read only. It also then asks if you want to be notified when the other user closes the file. This duplication ruins this app!"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to eliminate duplicate files, why doesn't Microsoft create a system similar to a shared folder on a network. When a file is open, and another user tries to open it to edit, the system tells them that the file is unavailable to edit, and read only. It also then asks if you want to be notified when the other user closes the file. This duplication ruins this app!

• Angie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am particularly fond of the second suggestion, as I have many SIMILAR but not identical photos. It would be nice to be able to review photos flagged as possible duplicates (in groups of likeness) to decide what could be eliminated. Also, it really is a win-win; it reduces space used up on the servers AND saves us from redundancy and unnecessary added storage and expenses. Please, please get this ball rolling. Everytime I have gotten a new device, it has duplicated my photos.

• HD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this be released soon or do I need to move to Google/Android? They just released their Files Go, which starts making this type of cleanup easier. You've had this suggestion for over 3 years now, and no progress?

• Zvonko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys from Microsoft.
        Hurry up with this solution, it will reduced unnecessary occupied space on your servers. And it will help us too.

I have not had this duplicate problem on OneDrive--but did have this issue on the Verizon backup service to the extent that all my server space was consumed. Had to manually go in and painstakingly delete duplicate/redundant photos. If duplicate photos is a possibility on OneDrive, we definitely need a better way to correct.

• Anonymous 2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - I too am irritated that I am paying monthly for extra onedrive space when I realize my photos are being duplicated in my onedrive as well! I am afraid to delete one for fear if a fix happens perhaps I have deleted the wrong one and I lose them both?

• Zvonko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great feature for Microsoft itself. Who knows how many duplicate files there are. This way users would actually help MS by reducing space. Benefits for both sides.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive keeps on duplicating my photos, so this feature would be great to sort your mess out.

• Pallavarajha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are defecting 330 rupees per month in my HDFC MasterCard , please help me to recover my photos and videos

• Koda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of the alternatives later in this post would be great, but it would be best if there were just a toggle in settings as to whether or not files that would create duplicates, whether auto-shared, or manually selected and/or in-cue for upload, should be kept or replaced

• Jonian Noxha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the similar problem in the past that is why i can suggest you to check this software. Here is the link for you http://alternativeto.net/software/duplicate-file-finder-and-remover/ can help users to delete the same photos, documents, MP3s, etc. in your hard drive. It use several file comparison methods, including MD5 checksum, comparison by name, date, size, and even byte-by-byte comparison (comparison by file content).

• Mathias Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO duplicates are bad for several reasons. But sometimes it is helpfull to find a file/foto/document in several places.
        Therefore my recommendation is to look for duplicates but not (necessarily) to delete them but to replace them by a link to one original file.

I use Duplicate Files Deleter 5.8.5, believe me, it is great program to delete double files.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base