I suggest you ...

Duplicate files/photos ( duplicates )

Like other suggestions I would like a way to not have duplicate files/photos, to save space.

Can we have some specific way to:

1) run a "duplicate" search that can automatically delete files/photos based on a name, size and date
2) search for duplicates and then list them all in name order, showing name, size and date to then give option to review then delete
3) a file compare search for similar looking files, then the option to delete one(s)

5,826 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

137 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive keeps on duplicating my photos, so this feature would be great to sort your mess out.

• PallavarajhaPallavarajha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are defecting 330 rupees per month in my HDFC MasterCard , please help me to recover my photos and videos

• KodaKoda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of the alternatives later in this post would be great, but it would be best if there were just a toggle in settings as to whether or not files that would create duplicates, whether auto-shared, or manually selected and/or in-cue for upload, should be kept or replaced

• Jonian NoxhaJonian Noxha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the similar problem in the past that is why i can suggest you to check this software. Here is the link for you http://alternativeto.net/software/duplicate-file-finder-and-remover/ can help users to delete the same photos, documents, MP3s, etc. in your hard drive. It use several file comparison methods, including MD5 checksum, comparison by name, date, size, and even byte-by-byte comparison (comparison by file content).

• Mathias SchmidtMathias Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO duplicates are bad for several reasons. But sometimes it is helpfull to find a file/foto/document in several places.
        Therefore my recommendation is to look for duplicates but not (necessarily) to delete them but to replace them by a link to one original file.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Duplicate Files Deleter 5.8.5, believe me, it is great program to delete double files.

we are having a lot of problems because the cache that is used for offline not work well. therefore request to improve the mechanism and make it more a hybride system.
        we are working in the areas where internet topology is slow and unreliable.
        The internet was designed to deliver messages regardless the connections.and topology.
        Microsoft is missing this part in the programs and solutions and product more and more. Making thing unworkable and people start o switch back to thing we just not want.

• KarvinKarvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try DuplicateFilesDeleter. It is fast and efficient, your work is done in no time!

• Lewis EigenLewis Eigen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better still would be to allow us to submit a picture of a face and have the server search for and flag all the photos where the face matches. Microsoft has the algorithm in its Azure Intelligence section. Use it for your 1 Drive Customers. That will make 1 drive better than other drives.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

including flagging the version of the image which is of the highest quality

• Todd BlyTodd Bly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am at a loss, all of the sudden I have 13 Gigs of storage used? I did not upload that much. Your photo duplicater is killing me. I have had to delete the same picture from 5 or more different places!!! it is in tags and places and .......wtf!

Oh, this would be great. I think it may be two different requests though:
        1. Duplicates - an easy method for identifying and deleting identical photos. Easier imo as it could be based on the file data alone.

2. Similar photos (like in the screenshot) - Need to be based on image recognition. Should cover both requests. Please aim for this one. And for the decission making, please don't make it a list of files. Make it with larger thumbnails like in the screenshot, and some data to help keep the better version of the file (som may be compressed, cropped, etc...)

• MarilynMarilyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me, too. I recently updated a number of photographs from Photoshop and generated new JPG images. Rather than overwriting, OneDrive just created a massive number of duplicates

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base