I suggest you ...

Duplicate files/photos ( duplicates )

Like other suggestions I would like a way to not have duplicate files/photos, to save space.

Can we have some specific way to:

1) run a "duplicate" search that can automatically delete files/photos based on a name, size and date
2) search for duplicates and then list them all in name order, showing name, size and date to then give option to review then delete
3) a file compare search for similar looking files, then the option to delete one(s)

4,868 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IshaiIshai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sync clients are so broken they keep creating duplicates files on their own, I get it, you want us to use up storage so we pay for more space but you have to handle duplicates in a smarter way. There are ways to do it, lots of software for Windows that does it, it should be your highest priority now that placeholders are back

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, when five thousand people vote for a suggestion that should tell Microsoft that this is IMPORTANT to people. Why is it taking YEARS to "look into this idea"??

• M.W.M.W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone who doesn't want to wait and urgently need to identify duplicte files, I can recommend AllDup (http://www.alldup.de/en_index.php). I am using this freeware tool since many years and I am perfectly happy with its functions and performance. P.S. I have no affiliation with the company.

• tarastaras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should definitely try the most powerful tool DuplicateFilesDeleter.

• Javier OlanJavier Olan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Si por favor, es una gran idea, que se puedan eliminar fotos duplicadas y que los albums sean mas como los de apple o los de google photos

• Captain_EricCaptain_Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need too. After merging Yahoo Flickr, DropBox, and Google Drive (all of which i tested before choosing OneDrive) into OneDrive, i have tons of duplicates. Please add find and move/delete. Thanks.

• Carlos OrozcoCarlos Orozco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a request that ties in to this the only difference is having file duplicates because devices are not in sync like android phones they have the upload option only. It would be nice to have a file deleted on my phone or any device (tablets, iPhones, Xbox etc...) automatically delete in onedrive and vise versa with all devices like it normally occurs on a pc. Sync and upload are two completely different things. This will eliminate duplicate files as well because if you delete a file from one drive it will get deleted on your pc or any device that is sync enabled but any devices with the upload option will still have the file locally stored. Since the file was deleted from onedrive or any device you dont feel the need to go through the rest of your devices to delete the same file because it would automatically happen with sync but if the other devices were on upload only then any device that had that file locally stored will later upload to one drive leaving you with duplicate files with the same exact name and size. Although having a tool that would at least solve the already duplicated files problem I believe finding out why duplicate files are being created in the first place would be a greater root cause in order to create a proper solution. So why not have all devices sync so no matter were you delete a file it will get deleted on all devices including onedrive and have this problem eliminated for good. FWI onedrive has a recycle bin folder so any accidentally deleted items would be recoverable.

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I logged into my OneDrive account and noticed that under the photos tab there were 665 photos of my iPhone app icons. I don't have photo or iPhone sync turned on nor any other setting that would allow this to happen. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong as it is taking up lots of space.

• Neil BlissNeil Bliss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive is a pathetic mess. In all this time since inception you still don't have a way to remove duplicate photos. My basic is full and I'm still paying 1.99 for something I can't use. You keep telling me to upgrade for 6.99. Why should I do that if all that will happen is it will become full again of duplicate photos. You are a little like ITunes that duplicates a file every time it's moved. You're a joke.

• roverrover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best program I used to delete duplicate files it is DuplicateFilesDeleter, It is easy and its result is excellent, I suggest you try it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We have "Duplicate Files Deleter" is our system optimization and a simple, but effective tool to locate 'Duplicate Files' in one or more selected search paths - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

It scans the files and compares them based on Byte for Byte Comparison, which ensures 100% accuracy. You can then choose to delete the selected duplicate or original files. The program is multi-threaded and performs scans quickly.

You can go through this link to check 'How it works':- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQi451zd10o

-Joshua Rover

• Raymond   WriterRaymond Writer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of a simple or modified search, have a bandits tab, for a maintenance button in settings that are out-of-the-way or fingerprint protected That runs a search routine that shows a parent duplications, where you can choose to delete all, do an itemized deletion, tag a folder as a back up folder, or tag a picture as a back up picture or file. Maybe this maintenance option can be a part of a flagging or finger press hold down system where he sub menu pops up? I understand this type of system would be for the lazy that just keeps a large conglomeration of files, but in our education it tends to run backwards to learning new systems. So being a better organizer is usually the last thing to occur. That is why we need the maintenance routine.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base