I suggest you ...

Enable sync client to allow editable synching of team sites with mandatory metadata columns

As at 23rd Jan 2017 the newly relased One Drive for Business synch client enables synching of Team sites BUT if any libraries have mandatory meta data or require check out, the synched folder/library is read only. This cripples collaboration by teams on documents. This needs to be fixed

941 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

71 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? That's a big problem for us. This "issue" has to be solved urgently!

• Benjamin Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop "thinking about it" and fix the problem. Syncing is useless without being able to edit the local files and have the changes synced to the server.

• Martiza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was working fine with One Drive for business, what's the point of allowing a synch if it aint going to work!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a nightmare and is truly crippling my approach to collaborating with my colleagues!!!

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please allow sync library with checked out feature when working offline . Current it makes my library read only and I am unable to add docs and folders within the synced library itself.

• DP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems Microsoft is purposely locking this feature out to limit external traffic. With this approach, they don't have to implement block-level synchronization in OneDrive. It also stops RoboCopy "backup only" solutions from working through WebDAV. The problem with this particular approach is that the OneDrive app has various problems with its own operation, that have been reported through the Feedback hub and not yet fixed, and as a result, isn't reliable enough to trust 100%, meaning that with this limitation, is also now completely useless.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That a perfectly good feature was removed is disappointing.
        That Microsoft has effectively abandoned this thread without any kind of update in over half a year is kind of shameful.

"OneVoice is where customers can go to provide feedback", but it seems more like people yelling into a chasm for all the good it does. Certainly seems to have the same result.

We're invested in SharePoint. We like Office 365. But if you are never going to return check-in/check-out functionality to the sync client just say so. This time waiting for a response and troubleshooting ever-more-convoluted sync client issues could have been spent researching document management solutions that *would* allow us to sync documents AND force a check-in/check-out/version control AND (heaven forbid) collaborate.

I have no desire to migrate my company to something new. But what we've got right now isn't really working, and I've read nothing in the past 6 months that indicates the OneDrive for Business client (Groove.exe) is anything but deprecated.

Am I frustrated? Yes. Am I venting? A little. But is it unreasonable to ask for an update 9 months after an issue was reported? I don't think it is.

You can make a human life in 9 months. All I want is an update.

• Joe Goodgame commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this, this negates the benefits of one drive syncing with controlled document folders. Considering this used to work i have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea to remove

• Michael Haslé commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello
        We are really having more and more issues due to that limitation.
        The Check-out is a clear added value and avoids many conflicts, but if we cannot get these libraries synced locally, that is just another good excuse for them go for alternatives.

So please just review the "Thinking about it" and jump on the keyboard to get that fixed...

• Steven Spray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've actually come across another problem with the NDSC; I can't use the Desktop version of Office anymore with SharePoint.

When I check the file out, and try to open the document using desktop Excel, I get the same series of errors as if I was syncing to the library using Windows Explorer. So, I have an Office license that permits desktop applications but I can't use it, wow!

• Marco Mangiante commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, if I can't edit items with check-out/check-in property enabled, the sync client is useless. Sorry Douglas Pearce, but your "Thinking about it" and no more news is a suicide in communication.

• V.V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got updated to new client (somehow) and nothing works any more. Syncing is essentially useless. Had to stop syncing all my folders because I need to use libraries that require check-in/-out. Closing unmodified file (i.e. word doc) no longer prompts for Check-in causing a lot of locked files as people do not notice they are leaving their files checked out. On top of all this the files I tried to open, while sync was enabled, got messed up and no longer prompt for checkout at all (the only fix was to rename these files, after disabling sync, to get them to start at last prompting for checkout). MS you have literally halted the company wide rollout of sharepoint.

← Previous 1 3 4

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base