I suggest you ...

Enable sync client to allow editable synching of team sites with mandatory metadata columns

As at 23rd Jan 2017 the newly relased One Drive for Business synch client enables synching of Team sites BUT if any libraries have mandatory meta data or require check out, the synched folder/library is read only. This cripples collaboration by teams on documents. This needs to be fixed

808 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark MooreMark Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That a perfectly good feature was removed is disappointing.
        That Microsoft has effectively abandoned this thread without any kind of update in over half a year is kind of shameful.

"OneVoice is where customers can go to provide feedback", but it seems more like people yelling into a chasm for all the good it does. Certainly seems to have the same result.

We're invested in SharePoint. We like Office 365. But if you are never going to return check-in/check-out functionality to the sync client just say so. This time waiting for a response and troubleshooting ever-more-convoluted sync client issues could have been spent researching document management solutions that *would* allow us to sync documents AND force a check-in/check-out/version control AND (heaven forbid) collaborate.

I have no desire to migrate my company to something new. But what we've got right now isn't really working, and I've read nothing in the past 6 months that indicates the OneDrive for Business client (Groove.exe) is anything but deprecated.

Am I frustrated? Yes. Am I venting? A little. But is it unreasonable to ask for an update 9 months after an issue was reported? I don't think it is.

You can make a human life in 9 months. All I want is an update.

• Joe GoodgameJoe Goodgame commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this, this negates the benefits of one drive syncing with controlled document folders. Considering this used to work i have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea to remove

• Michael HasléMichael Haslé commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello
        We are really having more and more issues due to that limitation.
        The Check-out is a clear added value and avoids many conflicts, but if we cannot get these libraries synced locally, that is just another good excuse for them go for alternatives.

So please just review the "Thinking about it" and jump on the keyboard to get that fixed...

• Steven SpraySteven Spray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've actually come across another problem with the NDSC; I can't use the Desktop version of Office anymore with SharePoint.

When I check the file out, and try to open the document using desktop Excel, I get the same series of errors as if I was syncing to the library using Windows Explorer. So, I have an Office license that permits desktop applications but I can't use it, wow!

• Marco MangianteMarco Mangiante commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, if I can't edit items with check-out/check-in property enabled, the sync client is useless. Sorry Douglas Pearce, but your "Thinking about it" and no more news is a suicide in communication.

• V.V.V.V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got updated to new client (somehow) and nothing works any more. Syncing is essentially useless. Had to stop syncing all my folders because I need to use libraries that require check-in/-out. Closing unmodified file (i.e. word doc) no longer prompts for Check-in causing a lot of locked files as people do not notice they are leaving their files checked out. On top of all this the files I tried to open, while sync was enabled, got messed up and no longer prompt for checkout at all (the only fix was to rename these files, after disabling sync, to get them to start at last prompting for checkout). MS you have literally halted the company wide rollout of sharepoint.

• Ed HarrisonEd Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree with the comments below. Libraries that require check-in/-out are a great feature of Sharepoint, but if we can't use these and have them sync then this is a real retrograde step. Can we please have an update on this?

• Steven SpraySteven Spray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does this problem exist? More importantly, why is this STILL a problem? C'mon guys, this is basic stuff. This is supposed to be your "New and Improved Sync Client". I had the old client working absolutely fine until I 'downgraded' to this new one yesterday. Sort it out asap guys, this is not a 'suggestion', it's an absolute basic requirement!

• Josh WaclawskiJosh Waclawski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Approaching six months later and he's still thinking about it. Is Microsoft paying this team to sit and think about adding basic functionality? This is absolutely insulting.

Can we get some kind of response? Is this officially a bug yet? Has anyone looked into it?

What in the **** is going on?

• TomasTomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unbelievable. How somebody can have a though of removing support for one of the key features of SharePoint in OneDrive ??? Think fast, we want to get it back.

• Daire RyanDaire Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe this is happening. We are going to have to move away from Microsoft Onedrive as they don't appear to have any respect for their customers and their needs.

• Vicki LittleVicki Little commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you thought about it long enough yet Douglas? This is a real inconvenience. The mandatory metadata is a bonus that should not stop the ability to use another system bonus.

• Greg JonesGreg Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This comes down to primarily one thing....a good user experience, not an IT or Technical thing. Forcing changes that don't make sense in OneDrive is just dumb....I can tell you that in a hybrid environment for the past 1+ years and having all these changes in OneDrive Sync client and having to use the old client for certain things and the new client for others, lack of support in new client for key features that should just exist and our actual business users expect is a terrible experience. To have to explain, yet another shortcoming with this Sync client is just pitiful, in my humble opinion. Please make this better, not for IT and Technical people but more for the business users who we are trying to get to adopt these tools!

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The more information support page (https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Learn-more-about-the-Sync-button-update-on-SharePoint-sites-9762aef3-d17f-4486-aae3-9c20bb979cbf?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB) on the latest changes states:

"The following types of libraries will transition from the old sync client as read-only:

-Libraries that contain multiple required columns, extra metadata, or custom columns. See Create a column in a SharePoint list or library.
        -Libraries that require check-out of files."

However, apparently these are not the only circumstances.

Our sharepoint site/document library has:

1. No mandatory columns.
        2. No metadata (?)
        3. No required check out

However, in Library Settings under Document Version History we have "Create major and minor (draft) versions Example: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0" checked.

And, under Draft Item Security we have "Who should see draft items in this document library? : Only users who can edit items" checked.

This scenario also causes files to sync as read only. Checking "Any user who can read items" makes it sync properly, but this defeats the purpose of draft items.

I was so excited to move to the new Sync Client because the old one periodically needed reinstalled/reconnected to fix sync errors. But with this new client, we actually lose the functionality that makes it worth using at all...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base