I suggest you ...

metered connection policy as administrative setting

Please add a policy Setting to configure how the Client would act when detecting a metered Connection. For example Limit the upload/download rate or disable the sync completely when connected to a metered connection.

106 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mario EichlingMario Eichling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris BChris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature need. Without it, using my laptop for tethering is impossibly expensive due to data use. Basically, OneDrive makes it impractical to ever use a mobile phone for a connection, but I did that routinely without OneDrive with no significant cost.

• MargaretMargaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I get message off PC saying am on a metred connection , an please keep it simple as in my 60's an not very technical thanks

• Dirk ZandkampDirk Zandkamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like basic plumbing for this functionality in the Windows Desktop client is present in the Outlook 2013/2016 maillcient, so perhaps this approach might be used.
        Otherwise, for Windows 8.1 and up the standard metered connection alert could be triggered.

• Jens HevikeJens Hevike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes absolute sense to, at least, throttle the connection, to keep the user able to work.

• Juergen HemmerJuergen Hemmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a setting makes sense to strengthen the awareness of the user which thereby something happens in the Background.

• Juergen GeissJuergen Geiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is urgent because users who sync large libraries on a notebook on the go using tethering with a phone would download gigabytes of expensive mobile data.

Feedback and Knowledge Base