I suggest you ...

Enable syncing of files across O365 organizations

Many customers wan't the option to collaborate with OneDrive cross o365 organization, and have the option to sync the shared files with OneDrive. Right now you are only able to sync files shared within your own o365 organization. Right now the only option is to browse to the shared link and access the files. Trying to use "sync" will result in an error in OneDrive (next gen sync client) as shown in attached file.

638 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steinar Karlsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ebin John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this?
        Any timeframe that can be shared!

We need to roll out OneDrive for multiple tenants, but without this feature, we are dead in out tracks!!

Need a solution ASAP!

• Andrew Parkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our client runs a chain of hotels. Each hotel has its own O365 tenancy with SharePoint sites. Management have their own tenancy for organizational data on SharePoint. Management need to be able to sync the SharePoint data from the other tenancy SharePoint sites. It does not make sense to have a licenced account for each user on each tenancy in our scenario. We do not wish to merge each tenancy into one as the hotels are to be later sold. Please allow this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no one can solve this problem from supporting team.........never use onedrive for business and change to use Dropbox instead.

How do you expect to compete with Dropbox et al when you disable business critical features like this when releasing new versions?

• Iain Wyatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have just encountered this issue, need a resolution soon. can we get an indication of the timescale on this?

• Lammert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've even tried granting a license to external people, but that also does not solve this issue unfortunately.

• Lammert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we tested this using the old OneDrive for Business client it worked, now that we've rolled out across 15 offices it no longer does, which is quite disappointing. I hope this can be prioritized. In our day to day work, collaborating on documents with external users is a standard (and arguably the most common) scenario.

• Raymond Gan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company has three O365 platforms, the people always need to edit and share files to each others. This will be an amazing function we really want.

Just ran into this problem with an O365 customer of ours attempting to give access to a shared folder in their organization to several guest users - some with personal Microsoft Accounts, others from another 365 tenant - and none of them were able to sync the shared folder to their workstations to work on the files locally. The only thing I've been hearing all day is: "why is this not as easy as Dropbox?" Please consider this as an extremely important collaborative feature.

• Raoul van Eijndhoven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

October 11, and you are still thinking about. It was available in a previous version and not now, so we can classify this as a Bug. So I would like to understand why you need think about fixing a bug. This is a serious issue that has stopped OneDrive for Business users dead in their tracks.

Stop thinking and just fix it,please.

Raoul

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the first 60 seconds of using Office 365, I made a choice that has screwed me ever since... I put our business name in the 'business name' field... Little did I know that that name was going to be forever included in every external OneDrive and SharePoint share. Unfortunately, we operate under multiple business DBAs.... .Now we have multiple tenants, for no reason other than that trivial mistake. People in our business cannot share files, use Skype, Teams.. you name it, because they are in different tenants..... I will hate Microsoft Office until the day this is fixed... but then, I'll spend weeks combining all our users into a single tenant.

• daniel barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

completely undermines our efforts to get people working in an efficient modern way. whats even more ridiculous is this was working . . .

• Sofia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I´m working with GIS in a consortium between two companies. We use OneDrive in our daily work and we are synking shared files. Luckily I have an older version of OneDrive installed. All new members are not going to have that possibility and that´s not acceptable! I urgently need this to be fixed! Thank you!

• Thomas Salvisberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Douglas Pearce: still "thinking about it"? Can you share wether or not you are going to implement this, and if yes, what a rough schedule would look like. Thank you!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just spent 2 weeks to get the client on board and set-it up. (28kb/s instable connection)
        after this we set it up. and find that again m$ is letting us down.

• Zsombor Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Syncing folder shared from another organization in OneDrive for business - is a MUST HAVE! It's terrible that I can access files - what a person from other organization shared with me - via browser only....I have this UX. I would like to see those file in the explorer

← Previous 1 3

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base