I suggest you ...

Enable syncing of files across O365 organizations

Many customers wan't the option to collaborate with OneDrive cross o365 organization, and have the option to sync the shared files with OneDrive. Right now you are only able to sync files shared within your own o365 organization. Right now the only option is to browse to the shared link and access the files. Trying to use "sync" will result in an error in OneDrive (next gen sync client) as shown in attached file.

920 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steinar Karlsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now we use dropbox to share files with suppliers. It's very simple and free. We can't use Sharepoint because we can't share files or directories whit them.
        Enabling this feature would push companies to adopt Office365....

• Florian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important topic for our company. We only recently switched to OneDrive and we didn't that's such a big issue. We are an innovation department in a holding company. We obviously work together in projects with the sub companies which are in general very independent and therefore have their own o365 organization.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alright, well seeing that someone else has had this issue as recently as yesterday...@microsoft, when will this be remedied? we are considering migrating to all office solutions but this is definitely going to delay that consideration

• Martinho Vasconcelos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the reason to remove from old version to the new one? licenses/money? how can people collaborate with external companies, we have some auditor that we have to shareinformation with them and they have already Office 365, so the information cannot be syncronized. If it's possible to access data online why it cannot be syncronized with OneDrive. Shame

Wow, what a big miss... I've been able to share folders with clients in Dropbox for years. Was thinking of moving over to O365 but the lack of the ability to have Guests sync files (rather than using a Web Portal) is a serious issues. What a big oversight by Microsoft.

And I notice that there are very few comments by Microsoft on here. I guess I should stop expect Microsoft to listen to or care about their users.

We have recently moved our organization to Dropbox due to the loss of this feature. Shameful.

This had worked in the past for us also. It will be nice when you fix it...wink, wink.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox is winning in this space.... a big part of it is this particular issue

• Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You really need to put this on the roadmap if it's not there already. My users are again asking for this feature.

• John Wu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crucial feature that is severely impacting OneDrive market place in the ever expending cloud storage environment. If I was not locked into this storage by my IT policy, I would've easily consider BOX, Dropbox, or even Google Drive. At this current time, it is impacting my daily workflow.

• Michael Baird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having a hard time believing there hasn't been an update to this missing feature in almost a year.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not "a great scenario" - this is core functionality and a must have.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy cow, we're trying to transition to O365/Sharepoint from Google services and just ran into this issue. I'm confused as to how this can seem appropriate to MSFT. I cannot bring my company onto O365 if we can't sync external organizational documents onto our computers. I understand Mr. Pearce is not a developer, or probably even a decision maker in MSFT, but this is not an odd 'scenario' or a 'nice to have' addition, it is basic functionality that I cannot live without.

• Thomas Salvisberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Douglas Pearce: To deal with multiple o365 identities is getting more common with schools/universities including 365 plans for their students and collaboration between companies. I don't think it was intended that ONE-drive means you only can sync with ONE tenant only! What happened to "mobile first" when mobile users with shaky internet connections can't access their files (try working on a train if you don't know what I mean). So for the third time since August 2017: do you plan to a address this issue and if yes, when?

← Previous 1 3 4

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base