I suggest you ...

Enable syncing of files across O365 organizations

Many customers wan't the option to collaborate with OneDrive cross o365 organization, and have the option to sync the shared files with OneDrive. Right now you are only able to sync files shared within your own o365 organization. Right now the only option is to browse to the shared link and access the files. Trying to use "sync" will result in an error in OneDrive (next gen sync client) as shown in attached file.

441 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steinar KarlsenSteinar Karlsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Raoul van EijndhovenRaoul van Eijndhoven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

October 11, and you are still thinking about. It was available in a previous version and not now, so we can classify this as a Bug. So I would like to understand why you need think about fixing a bug. This is a serious issue that has stopped OneDrive for Business users dead in their tracks.

Stop thinking and just fix it,please.

Raoul

• RogerRoger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the first 60 seconds of using Office 365, I made a choice that has screwed me ever since... I put our business name in the 'business name' field... Little did I know that that name was going to be forever included in every external OneDrive and SharePoint share. Unfortunately, we operate under multiple business DBAs.... .Now we have multiple tenants, for no reason other than that trivial mistake. People in our business cannot share files, use Skype, Teams.. you name it, because they are in different tenants..... I will hate Microsoft Office until the day this is fixed... but then, I'll spend weeks combining all our users into a single tenant.

• daniel barlowdaniel barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

completely undermines our efforts to get people working in an efficient modern way. whats even more ridiculous is this was working . . .

• SofiaSofia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I´m working with GIS in a consortium between two companies. We use OneDrive in our daily work and we are synking shared files. Luckily I have an older version of OneDrive installed. All new members are not going to have that possibility and that´s not acceptable! I urgently need this to be fixed! Thank you!

• Thomas SalvisbergThomas Salvisberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Douglas Pearce: still "thinking about it"? Can you share wether or not you are going to implement this, and if yes, what a rough schedule would look like. Thank you!

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just spent 2 weeks to get the client on board and set-it up. (28kb/s instable connection)
        after this we set it up. and find that again m$ is letting us down.

• Zsombor FritzZsombor Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Syncing folder shared from another organization in OneDrive for business - is a MUST HAVE! It's terrible that I can access files - what a person from other organization shared with me - via browser only....I have this UX. I would like to see those file in the explorer

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this desperately needs to be added. The Sync button is available in the library, so it is rather deceptive.

• Martijn DaasMartijn Daas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed that this is indeed something that is missing in Onedrive / Sharepoint.
        I can well imagine people sticking with Dropbox just because of this.
        It would be a lot more appealing to us as a reseller to be able to offer the Onedrive / Sharepoint as an alterative to Dropbox or equivalent solutions.
        Please make this a priority 1 improvement on your roadmap or radar or whatever you call the customer complaint list.

This is 2017. How is this even not a thing?

Probably because the backends for OD and ODfB are so horrendously slapped together that properly separating THEN reunifying them will take a decade of underfunded, thankless, disgustingly-overmicromanaged, badly-envisioned work.

I don't envy the poor souls thrown into that.

So in a way, I understand. Fix the real problem here (OD vs ODfB), clean up the backend, then we can have nice things.

In the meantime though I'm going to seriously consider Dropbox again.

• Thomas SalvisbergThomas Salvisberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Douglas. Is this feature request still in status "thinking about it" or is there a rough roadmap for implementation? Thank you for a quick update!

I didn't realise this functionality was missing from the new OneDrive Sync client. It is absolutely essential for us to be able to sync from other Office 365 organisations and we regularly used this feature with the old sync client.

• KKKK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous that this is only "On your radar", this is absolutely the most essential functionality for team sharing to be useful. Nobody wants to log in to web browser to access files in a shared folder!!!

• Mikael MorvanMikael Morvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Non mais c'est n'importe quoi. A quoi pensent les designers d'applications ?
        L'air de rien on enlève "la killer feature" qui existait sur groove. Et après on s’étonne que les partenaires et les clients en on marre du changement tous les trois mois...
        Ce n'est pas une suggestion, c'est une fonctionnalité que vous avez retiré, merci de la remettre !!!!

Angry partner !

• Oliver WyckOliver Wyck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sadly due to the lack of this function which used to work fine, our customers are moving more and more to dropbox.
        How can a customer collaborate otherwise wisely?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base