I suggest you ...

Improve the feature of synchronizing more than 100,000 items on a stable basis for OneDrive.

I am aware of the behavior the restriction mentioned that the sync performance will possibly deteriorate when the stored items in the library exceed 100,000 items more. However, I need to operate this process frequently so that I wish the feature will be improved enables sync more than 100,000 items on a stable basis as soon as possible.

Although I have concerns about if the synchronization is going to be impossible to proceed unexpectly, but so as MS described as "We are working on optimization of OneDrive to improve processing of many Libraries." below the Reference information.

Title: Restrictions on synchronizing files and folders
URL: https://support.microsoft.com/ja-jp/help/3125202/

Thank you for your continued support.

213 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Office 365 Japan Support TeamOffice 365 Japan Support Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is more than just «nice to have».

What about our 5TB-limit that we use? How would you ever make use of those 5TB if you cant have more than 100K files in it?

• KaneKane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge drawback when using OneDrive sync client. Users are given 1 TB of storage space but their limited to 100k files when syncing. I've seen this issue when users reach 85k+ files. The 100k mark doesn't appear to be correct.

• Edward RushEdward Rush commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just improving it period. I sync about 6 gig of my 500 G in storage to my Surface. I have one server that syncs the entire REPO. The Server seems to sync fine cause all it does is download so I always have a machine with my entire REPO available offline. My surface with only current work, and selected folders takes forever to determine what has changed. I pause syncing while working, and start it back when I am not working. With minor file changes, it takes hours to resolve differences. I pay for storage and I am considering going back to DropBox cause OneDrive Performance is terrible. This is truly horrid software to keep files synchronized. I liked it cause it works with groove for music as well. But I am getting sick of this software hanging up with no progress indicators as it works to compare file differences. It just says "OneDrive is Updating Files", "Processing changes"

• Derek GouldDerek Gould commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I recently moved to a new PC, set up my Office 365 account (including Onedrive), and waited for the approximately 110gb of files to sync to my machine. Two weeks later, and multiple MS support emails, and the sync is still plodding onwards with about 40gb to go.

Realistically, restoring a machine after a crash, or setting up a new computer, is the kind of situation that Onedrive should be intended for. Allowing a terabyte of storage, but limiting the user to 100K files, is a ridiculously low threshold. I do a lot of Visual Studio development (MIcrosoft's own product!) and most of my project folders end up containing several thousand files.

• Office 365 Japan Support TeamOffice 365 Japan Support Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add my comments on the post above.
        When I look into the public information about the feature to select synchronized folders into sync client, I find the performance become degraded during the synchronization of a hundred thousand items even if I choose the folder to be synchronized. I understand that the sync of a hundred thousand items would not be stable enough for its completion, but I hope this incident to be avoided along with immediate measure if nothing else in selecting the folders for synchronization.

• Office 365 Japan Support TeamOffice 365 Japan Support Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to tell the same feature improvement has been requested by multiple users continuously.

Currently, we are using about 300GB among of 1TB capacity, however, the number of items are reaching to 200 thousand thus we are not able to synchronization completed smoothly. It is in the course that trying to use as much capacity as we have 1TB of capacity, hence I feel it is very inconvenient that synchronization cannot be made due to the number of items.

Therefore, I also hope the feature will be enabled to provide the operation smoothly in order not to degrade performance even if it exceeds 100,000 items.

• JPJP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This happens easily if you sync an Adobe Lightroom catalog folder in onedrive that has a few thousand photos in

I have comments for this post that the same feature improvement has been requested by multiple users continuously.

I also am aware of the behavior that the file upload to be delayed when trying to synchronize about 140,000 items so far. If you aggregated the data which used on multiple PCs to OneDrive for Business, I assume that the number of items will increase over 100,000 easily. For the smooth operation, I hope the feature will be implemented to Increase the number of items that can be sync stably. It also would great if the user will be able to synchronize even if it exceeds 30 million items as described in public information in the future.

Thank you for your continued support.

• Morten DybroMorten Dybro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same situation, but I can add that 66.000 items is the same situation as 100.000

• RodolfoRodolfo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to receive mail alerts when the user reached the 100,000 items?

Feedback and Knowledge Base