I suggest you ...

We NEED ReFS support!

Came here because OneDrive complained today that my folder is on ReFS and it doesn't support that file system. I see that others have raised this issue and and it's been dismissed. However, this is a serious problem for those of us who are paying subscribers. Please listen to your customers, don't dismiss us!

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NickNick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ErikErik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By removing exFAT support, Microsoft has broken compatibility with larger SDXC cards. The came cards Microsoft promoted as a solution to the Surface having limited storage space! AND THERE WAS NO WARNING OR COMMUNICATION FROM MICROSOFT!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why did you remove functionality with exFAT file system? I had everything working fine on my tablet PC until you removed this. If technology is moving forward, why did you go backwards?!?! Please re-instate this feature ASAP. My only other option is an external hard drive via micro USB connection. In a world of improving technology, this option is very retro.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was forced to format my disks and sync all files again. I'm a paying user and M$ is disappointing me.

• P HollandP Holland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah- sudden update that means I have to format my One Drive location.

Telling me to backup... I don't have the space to, hence using One Drive

Absolutely shocking customer service Microsoft. not surprised though.

• JmaJma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

**** about face, introduce a new file system which works with Onedrive and is supported, then withdraw support because you want to upgrade Onedrive and REFS is not ready.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take a look here (https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1941) at the comment by SvenGroot who would appear to be an MS employee: "I think this may be related to a change to OneDrive in the insider builds post-Creator's Update. It seems OneDrive now applies a reparse point on the root OneDrive folder, and WSL unfortunately cannot access reparse points. Improving our reparse point support is something we're actively working on."
        I assume the update he refers to is for the Files On Demand feature. ReFS does not support reparse points. From this, I surmise that the Files On Demand uses reparse points and so ReFS support will not be coming back any time soon. Rubbish communication from MS. I'm currently Robocopying data to a new NTFS storage space as I don't think this will get fixed in the next 6 months.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropping support for the next-gen Windows filesystem? Is...is this for real?

• Reijo LellReijo Lell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a paying customer (Premium Onedrive and 10 Pro) and I use ReFS on your purchased software. I had been using it like I wished and you disabled it. Why?

This needs to be re-enable ASAP. Like yesterday ASAP because it wasn't broken, at least not from my perspective. Sorry, but as a regular user I don't care if SharePoint users can't do that (you are merging two sync clients, I know that), but for that you can publish a technet post saying so and let regular users use ReFS.

• AlexPAlexP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't give it even enough votes I'd want to. Why drop support for a "next-gen" filesystem? The most ridiculous thing is that this 'change' hits power users mostly, as standard users stick with NTFS. Don't make us hate you with these poor decisions

• Pierre-Alain MichelPierre-Alain Michel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here after doing a reboot yesterday. I googled for the issue and saw that I was not the only one impacted. I contacted support via chat this morning but they were not aware of this issue. The only suggestions were to either re-format the drive after doing a backup or restore the system to a point before the last update. As I did not want to do either they said I should give feedback using the Feedback Hub. They could not pass any ticket to the development team.

• Ken FlackKen Flack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I have been using an REFS (Raid Volume) for the past 2 years with One Drive. How can you think you can just remove a service being offered to paying customers. This is how I do on-line back-ups. I sync my local documents with OneDrive Folders (ReFS) and they are backed-up automatically to the cloud. Really disappointed here especially after waiting a year to have upload bandwidth throttling added to the service. This is/was the ONLY reason I subscribed to Office 365 !

BTW- I have NO NTFS volumes other than boot drive with limited space......

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base