I suggest you ...

Folder sync

Why not make the mobile version just like the Desktop app?

You should be able to select a folder (or multiple folders) from your mobile device and OneDrive should upload all the files (not just photos or videos) in that folder automatically and every time you modify one of the files in that folder or add a new file, it should automatically sync it with the cloud.

Unbelievably, OneDrive, nor Dropbox nor Google Drive currently offer such feature. You can only get this feature with a third party app like FolderSync (paid app - Android).

This should be a native feature. Add it.

Thanks.

4,396 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Android Office Apps it is possible to pin a OneDrive document to the StartScreen. Unfortunately, these pinned documents only get updated/synced with OneDrive once they get opened, (edited) or closed. Would like being able to pin documents out of OneDrive to the HomeScreen and let OneDrive update them each time a Internet connection is established. Also I want to be able to edit these documents offline and having them upload/synced to OneDrive as soon as I'm online again - no need to edit the file as a write protected file and therefore save it as a second file in OneDrive once I'm back only as it is possible with Offline file management in OneDrive now. Thank you!

I gave this a vote but not sure I understand. I actually use OneDrive primarily for Office and other application file backup and sharing--currently only have limited media files on OneDrive. When I click on a folder in the mobile app, I see all the correct files and subfolders. From reading other comments below, maybe my non-issue here is that I have the Office 365 subscription.

In the Android OneDrive app we can choose multiple folders to upload, but OneDrive only uploads the files withing these folders, not the folders itself. So my 10 folders are now merged into one big pile called "Camera Uploads" in OneDrive. That is not even decent.

We definitively need full folder sync, it's unbelievable this does not already exist.

• Liam Ferrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the overall suggestion "Why not make the mobile version just like the Desktop app?". The Windows 10 mobile App falls short on the file management functionality of the Desktop App and the Android App.

• B V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Autosync OneDrive - OneSync which is a little ridiculous that we have to find third-party solutions.

• B V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to say this is behind schedule. With storage card sizes increasing, a local copy of your full OneDrive on your mobile device should definitely be an option.

Hello Mr Doug Pearce. I have done some thinking about the issues people are having with OneDrive because I have had cloud service problems. First of all, do not use your OneDrive account for photo sharing. The free OneDrive account is for necessary file back-ups; also it’s for semiprofessionals who use Microsoft business applications. The subscription services available through OneDrive and accompanying 365 programs do sync. In fact when I first activated OneDrive I overloaded it with only one of my computers libraries. For you photo sharers open a “flicker account” it’s free and has unlimited photo storage so you don’t have to jam up your mobile devices memory with all that truly unnecessary file storage on multiple devices. Google Photos also offers unlimited photo storage and automatically syncs; however flicker’s website is designed similar to Facebook and has nice editing application. If you really need large entertainment based internet accessible file storage add an external internet accessible hard drive to your home network. Install a WEBDAV server on your devices and you can then have your very own internet accessible cloud. My iPad has well over 1TB of its own file storage. Plus because my iPad is cellular I can read and write files directly on my Windows computers. Myself, I don’t even have a real use for OneDrive. It did come in handy a few times before I learned that I could build my own private network for less than what it costs for a year of full year of access to OneDrive. It is super easy to cut or copy then paste to do large file transfers. People should not use OneDrive for photo swapping and paying for OneDrive for personal uses is a waste, Cloud storage was created to serve the needs of our modern day business community.

• Calvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My goodness can we have the folder sync to phone feature already. I hate downloading the files then manually transferring them to my phone!

IMPORTANT! Make sure to allow the folder sync and download location to access the microsd card.

• Nick D'Antonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is functionality that would be extremely useful. In this age with the amount of storage on devices, I don't see why you can't select entire folders to be made available offline just as you can with certain files. If anything, unless a file is changed, I could see this dropping the bandwidth usage and requirements on your end as well, as content wouldn't be constantly streaming from users as they have it cached on their devices. I really hope something like this is implemented to iOS and Android apps!

• José Moya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For years i've had a mobile phone more powerful than my PC, but limited by dumb apps that used 100mb and four 1Ghz cores to get less functionality than a 50 mb app running in a 1-core 1Ghz PC. I just wonder why mobile apps have to have a limited functionality.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all this. I use a DropBox account with 3rd party app DropSync on Android. If OneDrive had this native I'd move over immediately.

← Previous 1

OneDrive

Feedback and Knowledge Base