I suggest you ...

Files on demand, automatic cleanup

When using files on demand over time, OneDrive will start to sync a lot of files which after some time will become inactive. Today the user would have to right-click the OneDrive-folder and select Clean up in order to stop the sync of these files and delete the local files stored on the user's device.

I propose a new optional feature. When files or folders have been inactive for a period of time (say 30 days) I would like OneDrive to automatically clean up, deleting the locally stored files and folders but still keeping them in the cloud.

It should be possible to enable or disable this feature, and also change the how often the OneDrive client should perform the cleanup (ex. every week, every other week, every month).

482 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lasse Soltvedt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, PLEASE add this Feature. My Notebook has only 500 GB but I pay for 1 TB at OneDrive, which I never can use as long as I dont have a SSD device more than double as big as I have now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Exec stakeholders validate the lack of this functionality is a real concern. They don't want to see files used on a daily basis persisting on laptops, unless a file is explicitly flagged as 'Keep on this device'. The option to revert files to cloud based on hours, days or weeks inactive is the ideal outcome for the business. Great recommendation Lasse.

• Jörg Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ups, forgot. Provisioning means, it´s not depending on time, which files are not synched and deleted from device, its the available space on the individual client you decide for (e.g. tablet only latest 20GB, Notebook latest 200GB, Desktop...)

• Jens Stolle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful. Please consider a switch for "always offline" on a per file basis, with this feature

• Jörg Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Usually space on SSD is much smaller, then files on Ondrive. Really recommend this feature, that I can provision my available space on Client for OneDrive Sync but still see all content available.

• Martin Larsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request should alternative come with the option to set how much space the IT department is able to give for files on demand and if they reach that amount, then the oldest file is going back to cloud only.

This scenarie would be used in our Terminal/XenDesktop environment with roaming profiles.

• Jim Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought this feature already existed (figured having an "on-demand sync," it would be a no-brainer inclusion). Would definitly like to see this as I have a number of files I use once or twice then never again and would not like them to continue to sit on my machine indefinitely or have to remember to flush all the files off my machine.

Will also add there should be an adjustable time for keeping files "30 days since last modification/access," "a year since last modification/access," etc.

← Previous 1

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base