I suggest you ...

Allow OneDrive app on Android to be moved to SD card including storing offline files

Unfortunately, I cannot keep this Android app because the app cannot be moved to secondary storage. I'm like every Android user and have limited available space on primary storage. Because of the OS and other required data that must be stored on primary storage, I have to move apps to my SD card after I install them in order to make room. I understand that users must first install apps to primary storage on Android. That's fine. Users should then be able to move apps like this to Secondary Storage in App Storage Settings. This app does not allow that. Sadly, I have to uninstall this app now since I don't have enough space on my primary storage to keep it.

To be clear, developers can enable apps to be moved to SD Cards. I understand that there are legitimate reasons why some apps can't be moved to secondary storage. For instance, App Widgets or Alarm Services will no longer work from apps run on Secondary Storage. I'm not sure if those examples apply to this app, but again, my opinion is to let the user make the trade off. Some users like myself will give up features just to be able to move the app to SD Storage. For me, it's better to be able to keep an app with limited functionality than have to uninstall it altogether.

I've heard that some developers prevent their apps from running on SD Cards simply because the app may run slower. I surely hope that is not the reason with this app. My opinion is: Let the user decide. As it stands, I can't use this app at all because I don't have enough space to keep it installed on my primary storage.

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE DEVELOPER: If there is not an unsurpassable reason to allow users to move your app to SD Cards, then please change the "android:InstallLocation" attribute in your app to allow it to be moved to an SD Card after installation. If you are worried about a second-rate user experience, then simply display a warning to the user of the functionality that will be lost by running the app from an SD Card. If you haven’t heard this suggestion from other users, then please keep in mind that many are probably just uninstalling your app when they run out of primary storage space on their phone. Users with an SD card in their phone usually have tons of available storage there, so there is never a reason to go through those apps and uninstall them. In other words, another good reason to allow your app to be moved to SD Storage is the users are much less likely to uninstall it to make room for other things on their limited primary storage.

If there are legitimate reasons that your app can't be moved to a device's SD card, then please at least create a setting in the app that allows users to store the App Data on the SD card.

Thank you so much for considering my suggestions and feedback. I'm passionate about this because I would otherwise like to be able to keep and use your app. :)

2,738 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An update. I Force Stopped OneDrive, cleared the Cache, completely removed it from my Galaxy S8+ (w/128 GB SD card). Installed fresh from the Play Store, it actually was a slightly lesser version than before. I setup the app to put storage on external, which is showed it was going to do (listed my 119 GB drive), but as I started choosing folders to keep offline, my SD Card free space stayed the same and my internal is now almost full. Went from 27 GB used to 53 GB used. It is DEFINITELY NOT WORKING.

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not working for me on a Samsung Galaxy S8+ with latest OS and latest version of App. Same experience as Jeff

• MRoyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the setting but the change button is grayed out. What's the best practice to enable running android 8.0? Tried enabling the storage permission along with modify system settings. Rebooting, clearing data and cache. No go.

• Tim Merkt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Samsung installed Microsoft apps on many of their tablets, it seems like they are still not allowing OneDrive to be moved to the SD card. Any ideas on how to get around this on Samsung Tablets?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, how can I perform this? I simply can't see this option in the latest version of OneDrive.

• kikoron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the message on my Mac with SD location:
        Your OneDrive folder can't be created in the location you selected.
        Try a different location. Make sure that has a case-sensitive format.

Sorry but dont solved the problem!

• Stefan Resner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updated function not working. :(
        No sign of the option to move location in OneDrive settings yet? Samsung Note 8. Looks like latest version is installed and no further option to update on the Play Store.

• Moses commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep, BOOM it's done. My phone was almost toast.. this didn't work and nearly crashed my phone until I was able to terminate the app and uninstall it. Did you test this junk app or we your guinea pigs?

I should have realized when I synched key files to be available offline and my internal storage started disappearing (25GB of 32GB used) where I had (90 GB of 238 GB used) on the SD card. Not fixed boom is for crashed right?

• Moses commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've got the latest update and I still don't see it. I have it installed on both an LG G6 and Samsung Tab E.

I agree with Chris, it's supposed to work, but doesn't. I have a Galaxy S8+ with 128 GB MicroSD...
        In the App settings for OneDrive, it SAYS it's using External storage, but it actually isn't. I'm moved it back and forth a couple times between external and phone storage, but nothing actually moves...

Well, it was supposed to be rolled out with the latest version. I have tried numerous times to move the DATA for offline access in OneDrive tot he external SD card. It shows as being on there, but several programs that show space usage show it's still NOT on SD but STILL using internal phone storage instead. Must I uninstall Android version OneDrive altogether first. Then reinstall it and choose Ext SD Card as the location?

• Abubakkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Friends this feature is now available with latest update.....you can move onedrive to sd card

• John W Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide option to store OneDrive files on SD card on Android phones. I have a moto X4 which has little memory. I would like to be able to download files onto my phone to be able to look at offline.

• Hassan Janjua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Found out an alternative approach; on google play store search for cloud to SD card sync applications; there are a lot of solutions sync from cloud accounts like onedrive to SD card folders.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

OneDrive: Android

Feedback and Knowledge Base