I suggest you ...

SYNC SHARED FOLDERS Without Duplicate Files!!

Right now, syncing shared folders is a NIGHTMARE because of the duplicate files it creates. This is unfortunate because it creates more work than it's worth. I understand this is currently a design limitation, but if it could be fully supported and implemented to support syncing shared folders, I feel businesses everywhere that use OneDrive would benefit GREATLY!!
This would allow users to access the files from the shared folder as they do now, as well as access the files from OneDrive cloud - and the changes would sync from either direction, thus allowing users in office and out of office to work together seamlessly.

178 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Greg Martin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly the same nightmare with me, including trying all options to get o365 applications to save files locally. Used to work like a charm, but with the Dec 5th update, OneDrive started making a mess out of my storage by forking every other file into a version with the -DESKTOP-XYZ extension. Makes no sense to use OD at all as it more of an effort to keep my files sorted than to have the benefit of cloud storage.

• codeshare3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same problem. It looks like something changed on OneDrive from November 2017 and the problems started. I did all the tests that user DavidT commented on and the results were the same.

• Bob McKinnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are seeing the same problem here, users complaining about slow saves to their local synced folders and the duplicate files. It seem to start in December for us. I hope we get a fix soon or at least some guidance from MS.

• DavidT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since last November I have been having real problems saving Office files to my OneDrive Folder or one of my Company's SharePoint Folders. (In all cases the Folders are synced to my PC)

Whenever I save a new Office file either to my OneDrive folder (Personal) or to one of my Company's SharePoint folders I end up with two copies instead of one. This is the sequence:

Open a New File. Save As to my OneDrive Folder on my PC. The file very slowly saves direct to the Cloud and at the top of Word it says 'Saved to OneDrive'. If I then make changes to the document and close it I end up with two copies in my OneDrive Folder on my PC - the second one being a duplicate with my computer name appended. This is the behaviour when there is conflict between versions edited by different users, but I am the only user. This is not expected behaviour and it is making OneDrive and Sharepoint unusable.

I have done some experiments with saving in different locations:
        1. Open a New File. Save As to my Desktop. The file saves instantly and at the top of Word it says 'Saved to this PC'. This is expected behaviour.

2. Open a New File. Save As to my Dropbox Folder on my PC. The file saves instantly to the Dropbox folder on my PC and at the top of Word it says 'Saved to this PC'. This is expected behaviour. After the file has been saved to my Dropbox folder on my PC, the Dropbox sync engine detects the new file and uploads it to the Cloud in the background. This is expected behaviour and this is how OneDrive used to work. Each time I re-save my file Word updates the file in my Dropbox Folder on my PC. The Dropbox sync engine then detects the change and uploads the changes to the Cloud in the background. Once again, this is expected behaviour and this is how OneDrive used to work. At no time does Word communicate directly with the Cloud. Word saves to the Dropbox Folder on my hard drive and that is all it does. The Dropbox sync engine continually scans the Dropbox Folder on my hard drive and it uploads new files and changes to the cloud as and when necessary. OneDrive used to work like this too. It changed sometime last Autumn and I need to be able to make it work like this again.

3. As 2 but Save As to my Google Drive Folder on my PC. Exactly the same results as with Dropbox - everything works correctly.

These are the Options I have set:
        In my OneDrive Options:
        AutoSave Tab: All set to This PC Only.
        Office Tab: Tick removed from 'Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open."
        In my Word Options:
        Save Tab: 'Save to Computer by default' is ticked.

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base