I suggest you ...

Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,713 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

959 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Gorman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 years on and you STILL haven't resolved this very basic issue.

So much for your cutting edge solutions Microsoft

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this?
        Many businesses expect to be able to work with long file paths.
        Extremely frustrated.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bumping this. Anyone figure this out? Does it have anything to do with the Office release channel you are in?? I am about to get my head chopped off by all of my coworkers. Plz help plz thx

• Lukas Taves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And when you do enter a file with a path longer than valid it also handled the worst possible way. It just disconnects the onedrive client, and requires you to go through setup again.

Terrible terrible terrible user experience, over something that shouldn't even be a problem in the first place.

• Lukas Taves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this error still occurs, I just found out a bug with using Visual Studio with my projects because some files on bin/obj folders fail to sync and this causes VS to be unable to open any files in the solution.

Simply ridiculous.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not done. I'm stuck at a max of 255 characters minus 52 which is required for my "c:\OneDrive - business name\" folder. Very frustrating.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not believe in this day we are still dealing with "File Name Too Long" errors. I have just migrated my entire network drive over to OneDrive for business so that my Windows 10 Tablets can access all the network documents when working remotely. We have used a mapped drive that was an alias for our My Documents for years, but OneDrive does not support the multitude of depth I have organized my file structures into. Very frustrating. At this point my only options for the 50k or so files is to move them back to the network and continue to use portable hard drives and try to manage the versions. I am on OneDrive for Business and am a government user. I use Dropbox personally and it is far superior to the limitations that exist in OneDrive but, I am not able to put the files on Dropbox per our policies.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all good for personal onedrive but what about onedrive for business? struggling severely to sync files via onedrive for business app...it has like 40000+ file limit sync. I have tried the map drive via windows explorer....its a little bit better but dead slow...and yes I'm on a 100mb download / 50mbps upload connection. also you you try and right click any .jpg / .png file (I'm renaming) it takes FOREVER. it seems to be onedrive personal works a lot better vs onedrive for business

• Dav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try mapping your Onedrive Destination files as a Network drive from your PC. this cuts the destination file name down to size.

This fixed the problem for me as the 255 Character Limit (i Measured it and it still is 255)

Otherwise just pay up for Dropbox, which is loads better.

• Debra Fortner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...and this is Microsoft. We learned to create documents with directory, folders, paths whatever and now this. The other problem is when you contact Microsoft Office 365, you cannot get anyone to assist you. No one takes phone calls anymore????

• Debra Fortner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I fix this? It is irritating. I have files at the office. When I get home to the other computer on Office 365, it tells me that the file names are too long and I cannot open them? Why. It is the directory path always used in MS Word. Do I just need to use Dropbox or something else? This is very dysfunctional.

I am trying to open a document saved as: Onedrive/Achieving Leadership Institute/Grants/Chitwood/Underwriting which is 64 characters????

← Previous 1 3 4 5 47 48

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base