I suggest you ...

Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,713 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

979 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue for me and hasn't been resolved. Using Win10 and OneDrive.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the 430 character limit only available on Windows 10 machines? I am trying to synchronize machines that are running a variety of older Win OS and some are choking on the file length limitation.

• Andres Vallistu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        Is there already any solution? I have thousands of files which are longer that allowed. What should I do?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently, I have many and I don't where they are among the terabytes of data. Please advise

I am a University lecturer and have a diversity of file folders that leads to the same problem. How can I enable longer file names in 365?

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Within seconds of me migrating my dropbox account to one drive for business I encountered these errors. It’s one drive running on DOS or something? It’s absolutely pathetic. I don’t want to use the long path migration tool to shorten all my file names I’m a developer and it’s absolutely essential that the files path structures be retained in tact as is. I’d love to switch over but for now it’s back to dropbox.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is very simple, for onedrive to work as a usable capability, the filenames coped to it need to be allowed to be as long as the filenames in Windows. It's absolutely incredulous that you can't do this

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doing a first migration to OneDrive just yesterday and encountered this issue with a client. SO frustrating... I'm force to create folders and drag over sub folders one by one to get them into OneDrive. Terrible user experience MS.

Im in for a follow up for biz customers as well. We have MANY reasons the extended file lengths would be welcomed in our enviroment.

I encountered this error in windows while transferring old files to my new PC. Soon I found that windows API does not allow characters more than 255. The workaround? I used GS Richcopy 360 to get this task done. It was easy to use and helped me a lot.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 48 49

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base