I suggest you ...

Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,713 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

959 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Per Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow ... just ... wow. One of the core products, and lacking in such a fundamental area.

I'm not even a developer (any more). We just have a very normal file structure, nothing advanced ... we ran into this problem within months after switching from Google Drive to Office365.

• Hooge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can automate fixing path and filenames that are too long using this tool pathtoolongautofixer.blogspot.com

• doron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hello sir
        using w8.1 after downgrading from win10
        machine hp all in one envy27
        using skydrive personal account and 1drive business for business acount
        both acounts has same email associated with them (doron@sabarilaw.com)
        have 1t plan on both accounts
        worked fine on win10
        since downgraded, personal 1drive (which i understand is skydrive actually) have the long file name cant sync problem
        went thru all troubleshooting, reset, etc - nothing works
        can you please help?
        thanks
        doron

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pff indeed this is terrible. Completely useless with these restrictions for business and annoying for personal use. Come on Microsoft, these are issue's that should not exist at this time anymore!

• Dung Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is terrible. I have folders shared by others and I can not sync them to my desktop because of "their long name". Actually, it is not really long. All the spaces are converted to %20 and I don't understand how to fix it. It's a ridiculous limit. I swear if I had a choice, I will not use Onedrive for business.

This is terrible that this is still an issue. Boy howdy I sure do love tracking down dozens of files out of a 50000 file folder to track down file names that are over this arbitrary limit.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is 430 characters still the limit? If so, our business can't move to OneDrive or Office 365. Would you mind notifying us when Microsoft has implemented path lengths at par with what other operating systems offered 20 years ago? Thanks

Please enable loading with longer file names like Drop Box.
        I am not allowed to change file names, they are evidence.
        Help me find a way to allow large files and large file names

• e commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot migrate from Google Drive to One Drive...I got thousands of files, don't expect me to change their name one by one because One Drive is very limited in file name lenght....

• Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess no ones monitoring this. Jason's last comment a year ago.

• Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also now blows up the StorageFile.CreateStreamedFileFromUriAsync when using the ItemInfoResponse DownloadUrl property as being too long, use to work. I have to use the DownloadUrl property because the ItemInfoResponse WebUrl property does not bring down file hidden properties, at least not the ones I need.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BOOM IT's NOT Done!!
        I agree - I was just about to go with this but instead will not because of this too long of a filename. My path is 277 characters but it blew up.

first day using it, 1000 problems!
        Why OD cant be located in C:???
        Why filenames are still too long???
        DROPBOX nave gave me these problems!

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base