I suggest you ...

Enable long file paths (aka "File Name Too Long" problem when syncing)

As a developer, I have deeply nested file structures with sometimes arduously long file names. I am unable to use OneDrive as it stands now because of this. I would like to suggest that this limitation be removed. I understand that it's probably a fundamental infrastructure issue but it's severely hampering Onedrive when compared to other competitors out there right now, despite all the other cool features.

5,714 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian HallBrian Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve enabled significantly longer paths for your personal OneDrive in our latest Windows and Mac releases (available from http://onedrive.com/download). You should be able to use paths up to 430 characters from the root of your local OneDrive sync folder. Our telemetry tells us this covers the vast majority of customers who have hit max path issues in the past. Note that if you have over 90 characters in your local OneDrive path (that is, from drive letter to OneDrive\) you will see characters over 90 cut into the budget of 430 characters (93 character local path will mean 427 characters available for path in the OneDrive folder).

939 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DebaPDebaP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF......this don't bother about this serious issue & user review....I was about to Buy this....but now will definitely never go with One Drive....they also have very limited File Versioning for OFFICE files only....which again the biggest drawback of this product....I wish this Giant Elephant should get to the ground & add this features....which is being provided by almost any new entrant in cloud business.....aka Tom, **** & Harry can give ....why can't Uncle Sam can give....

• Rico S.Rico S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is also form me still a big problem and prevents me from migrating to OneDrive.
        Why you only add a couple characters... Add a couple thousands characters!

• Mark RespingerMark Respinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still seems unresolved. Dropbox handles this effortlessly. Why is this such an issue to implement properly??

• LinghuLinghu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we have to use onedrive? No. From what I read so far, it seems that Microsoft doesn't really care about the 1% users (according their analysis) who have needs to use long path/file names. That's a good opportunity for small businesses to fill the gap here. From the conspiracy theory standpoint, you might wonder if someone in charge of onedrive has personal interests in a third-party solution.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a BIG problem, can't sync files and you get alot of error messeges. My company has a big map structure and this is really frustrating and I don't recommend anyone to use onedrive until this is fixed...

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless this is addressed in Office 365 we will be moving the whole organisation to Google Apps. The character limit is ridiculous. If Google can do it Microsoft can, surely.

• Chris BlairChris Blair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft. Are you listening? How can you leave this one out there? Please correct the original BOOM announcement and let is know if and when long path names will be allowed in OneDrive and Windows 10.

• Stephen DeStephen De commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still having problems with it. For me it means that I can't trust it to be my main backup so still carry a Samsung-T3 and also maintain my dropbox. I don't consider onedrive to be a serious alternative as I don't choose the length of the files, only save them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still having issues with "path is too long" for paths of 259 characters... using the latest client on Mac.

• Jan BJan B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole problem must be linked to One Drive Pro being based on SHAREPOINT.
        **** service and solution from M$ is they can't get this fixed in like 3 years.

• Hareem AdderleyHareem Adderley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought it was just me or something on my machine. But after reading this thread I now understand that the file path length issue has returned to haunt not only me, but all users. I have been fighting this issue for weeks now wondering what has happened as it use to work before. Now I spent the morning researching if I should move back to G Drive....which seems like the only real solution right now as it is quite frustrating to leave home thinking that the document that you just was working on and saved to One Drive will be there when you reach the office only to find out that it's not.

• Ray SealeRay Seale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jason Moore - I haven't noticed the increase in file path as noted in your April 2016 Boom it's done post. Any ideas? Is this updated system wide? Our Macs are running the newest client.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was recently given 1 TB free, so I decided to move my files to One Drive. However, after having problems synching most of my files due to path length, I just moved back to Google Drive (in which case I have to pay for the service!).
        My One Drive folder has almost 70 characters! Please Microsoft, as many have said here, at least simply name the folder "One Drive".

• Oscar moralezOscar moralez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously??? This continues to be a problem in this day and age of sophisticated cloud-based file systems? And to make it worse...it's a problem for Microsoft? Embarrassing!!

• Krassimir GurovKrassimir Gurov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, this is literally blocking workflow, causing headaches and killing time when trying to find a workaround...

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base