I suggest you ...

Allow folders to be shared/co-owned with access/sync the same for all co-owners

You can do this with competing consumer cloud storage systems. OneDrive should offer that functionality as well.

Users would be able to add shared folders to their own OneDrive, syncing the folders on their computer like any other OneDrive folders.

5,935 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all -
    I’m excited to let you know that we’ve begun rolling out Shared Folder sync on OneDrive. We can’t wait for you to start using it!

How does it work? We have a new action on OneDrive, called “Add to my OneDrive.” Whenever you are using OneDrive on the web, or through the mobile app, you’ll see this when you are browsing content that others have shared with you. Clicking “Add to my OneDrive” will add that folder to your OneDrive. From then on, whenever you browse your OneDrive, you’ll be able to see any of the shared folders you’ve added. And on the sync client, when you select what folders to sync, you’ll see all the shared folders you’ve added. Select the shared folder(s) you want and they’ll immediately begin syncing to your PC or Mac.

We’re rolling this out which takes some time, and of course you may get it before your friend who also wants it (try not to rub it in). Shared Folder sync is available on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and MacOS. Windows 8.1 users will need to upgrade to Windows 10 to get this feature. Note that you’ll only be able to sync shared folders where you have Editor permissions.

Let us know how Shared Folders work for you – and go sync those files!

593 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is only available with personal onedrive but not with onedrive for business. Please have this feature available in onedrive for business as well.

How do I create a team folder and then see it in Windows Explorer and Map this drive? Why is it so difficult to do?

• M Sadr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to Prevent Collaborators From Seeing Other Collaborators in My Folder?

• Amany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I shared my folder with others, but I can't see them under "Manage access!". Please help as I want to cancel the share

• jb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I setup up acces to where i can put in client names addresses and phone numbers also notes i have coworkers who need to access and edit the same information but when they edit i dont see it on my access and they dont see my edit either how do i go about sharing the atabase to where we all seethe same info as its updated

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look, I own a small business and all I want is to utilize OneDrive just like a server in our office for shared access of all of my employees. I expect for each person to be able to see the shared folders and can add, view, change, delete documents. Equally. Everyone's an owner. Can this not be done with OneDrive? Right now, I've moved all of our documents from the server over to OneDrive, but when I share it to my employees, they still cannot see the folders. What are we doing wrong?

I'm trying to set co-owners at one of my folders to use with my teammates, how can I make this show up on his one drive directory?

• Ray from Aus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Log in as Admin. On the right hand side click the button for support to give you a call back. They usually call me back within a few minutes.

See my comment below (about 10 posts down).

They are very helpful.

• Chris Curtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be available in OneDrive For Business for heaven's sake!
        I see it's in development but any idea when it will be available?

• Anne Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I want is the facility to enable access to another microsoft user so that they can see all of the content of my OneDrive. How hard can that be?

This is crucial for business users. Just wasted an hour with my colleague trying to set this up. We're actually shocked that it doesn't exist already, it should be a basic feature!

Thats a joke. You need to go to stupid website, then move "shared files with me" to your onedrive with Add to my onedrive option? Well, thats not what we wanted! Shared with me had to be synced to local machine WITHOUT any interaction through WWW. You are so stupid at onedrive development team, really, no words. how development team wasnt changed yet?

• Usael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer google drive. more easy and more storage 15 g and sync with shared files

Does this shared syncing work for windows 8.1 or do I need windows 10?

Does it work with OneDrive for Business or just OneDrive Home?

Finally, I'd like to share sync with someone also using OneDrive but she has a different O365 account. Will shared sync work if we have different accounts?
        Thx,
        Mike

• Anne Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot get onedrive to share my pictures or documents to the other user of my laptop. I have tried to follow the instructions, but without any luck. What can I be doing wrong? Windows 10 on a laptop

Is there a way to create a folder in one drive that can be owned by multiple people so that if one person stops sharing the folder others can still access the folder and edit contents?

• FP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any reason an application cannot create a folder in the OneDrive folder? OneDrive folder and all subfolders show as Read Only and I cannot change that. But I can create folders there myself. So why can't the Application?

• Ray from Aus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem solved.

Microsoft support has helped me do everything that many of you are all wanting.

I have a small business with 3 x E3 user accounts. I logged in as Admin, clicked the button for support to call me back. I got a call 10 minutes later and told the guy that I had the following requirements:

- If a change to a sync folder was made on any of the three user laptops they would be effected on the cloud and on the other users laptops

- I wanted a non-synced folder on the cloud only (not sync) so that if any of our laptops were lost or stolen the sensetive material would not be vunerable

The friendly guy from Washington, USA took me through the process of setting that up with my control over the mouse following his laser pointer (must have local laws preventing him from taking complete control of my desktop) and verbal instructions. Even got to speak with him about horse racing and Melbourne Cup vs Kentucky Derby.

After reading many of the comments below I thought that I was stuck with a AU$1000 (3 licences 1 year) headache, but that wasn't the case.

• SK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need Folder Sync on Shared folders for OneDrive for Business. This feature is essential. The alternative of going to the site for shared content is a waste of time, and not user-intuitive.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base