OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow folders to be shared/co-owned with access/sync the same for all co-owners

You can do this with competing consumer cloud storage systems. OneDrive should offer that functionality as well.

Users would be able to add shared folders to their own OneDrive, syncing the folders on their computer like any other OneDrive folders.

5,932 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all -
    I’m excited to let you know that we’ve begun rolling out Shared Folder sync on OneDrive. We can’t wait for you to start using it!

How does it work? We have a new action on OneDrive, called “Add to my OneDrive.” Whenever you are using OneDrive on the web, or through the mobile app, you’ll see this when you are browsing content that others have shared with you. Clicking “Add to my OneDrive” will add that folder to your OneDrive. From then on, whenever you browse your OneDrive, you’ll be able to see any of the shared folders you’ve added. And on the sync client, when you select what folders to sync, you’ll see all the shared folders you’ve added. Select the shared folder(s) you want and they’ll immediately begin syncing to your PC or Mac.

We’re rolling this out which takes some time, and of course you may get it before your friend who also wants it (try not to rub it in). Shared Folder sync is available on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and MacOS. Windows 8.1 users will need to upgrade to Windows 10 to get this feature. Note that you’ll only be able to sync shared folders where you have Editor permissions.

Let us know how Shared Folders work for you – and go sync those files!

609 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Erwin Suwitoandojo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this only available on personal OneDrive? If so, I would like this feature to be rolled out to OneDrive for Business accounts too. As it will make it easier to collaborate on documents with my group mates

• Neal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you tell us when this new feature will be available for school or work accounts?

• roxy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to do the same as Bob. Use all our onedrive accounts, as each employee has there own office 365 license - as a server. In order for everyone to have real time access to all documents. Can this be done?

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I own a small business and all I want is to utilize OneDrive just like a server in our office for shared access of all of my employees. I expect for each person to be able to see the shared folders and can add, view, change, delete documents. Equally. Everyone's an owner. Can this not be done with OneDrive? Right now, I've moved all of our documents from the server over to OneDrive, but when I share it to my employees, they still cannot see the folders. What are we doing wrong?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is stupid that you have to use the web interface to view shared links, im going to switch to dropbox because of this issue

Too bad if you get lots of folders shared to you, you cant add multiple folders via "add to my onedrive", you have to do it 1 by 1. not cool when you have 40 folders shared. then the link vanishes and you have to clink the shared link all over again for each folder to add. seriously microsoft.

so the person sharing the folder, thats fine, it shows in their drive under shared by me. but the receiving person has an issue. they can access the shared folder by the email link they receive, but the folder does NOT show as an accessible folder in their own shared folder at all. they have to keep going back to the email with the shared link. WTF people?
        this my firsthand experience with sharing folders anyway

the fact that shared files or folders dont even show up at all. its 2018. this update was 2015. what gives???/ come on already. google do this so much better than microsoft. its quite sad tbh

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to do this without having to go to the web interface! I should just get a notification that someone has shared with me and immediately be able to sync that folder down! In fact, with “files on demand” it should just show up!

• Goncalves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is just absurd. I was using a competing storage program to share my files with the people I work with. My company has changed to OneDrive and I just cannot share the files in a easy way. It is absurd, why would you complicate something so simple like this???

The ability to move files/documents from "Shared with Me" to your own onedrive files on biz onedrive would be extremely helpful.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would you make this feature only available with personal onedrive and not business onedrive...that's 100% backwards. What's the ETA on the upgrade for Bus?

This is only available with personal onedrive but not with onedrive for business. Please have this feature available in onedrive for business as well.

How do I create a team folder and then see it in Windows Explorer and Map this drive? Why is it so difficult to do?

• M Sadr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to Prevent Collaborators From Seeing Other Collaborators in My Folder?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base