I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,049 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    osmosm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

217 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NIckNIck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well? So has it been implemented yet? Are you waiting for people to move to other services then do something? Avoiding the hassle of moving data can only keep people using your service for so long.

• VincentVincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments. Versioning for all types of files should be included in premium.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The key reason requesting this: currently it is a sync mechanism, i.e. when I change a file, it is synced. Now consider this... Ransomware comes along, encrypts my files, OneDrive syncs... <booooom> all my files gone and no way to retrieve them, because my 'backup' on OneDrive is not a backup :-( This is a must have!

• Chris PageChris Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just been looking for an online storage solution and lack of versioning in onedrive is a showstopper for me.

• Darrell JohnsonDarrell Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments. Versioning for all types of files should be included in premium. SharePoint has this why not OneDrive? The lack of this feature keeps me from paying for premium.

• Stefan FarnikStefan Farnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also should be seamlessly integrated with `previous versions' view of folders in Windows Explorer

• ŽeljkoŽeljko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many votes and comments! We all deserve at least the explanation behind the decision not to implement the feature.

• Imran Ali RashidImran Ali Rashid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had a hard drive disaster take place. As soon as I logged in, certain images and videos as well as exe files were overwritten. They now have 0 bytes on my hard drive as well as on OneDrive. I'm a paying member and logged on to one drive to restore the older versions and to my surprise, older versions are only supported for office files. Those files are now gone and this is a disaster for me. I have a free dropbox account and was able to restore the files that had this issue there but here, where I'm paying, I'm out in the cold with no way out. I would request that this feature be made a priority.

• Ryan DornRyan Dorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of versioning for all file types is the only thing preventing me from paying for the premium tier and using onedrive as my primary cloud storage service.

• Oscar CamposOscar Campos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ummm, I keep wondering, are Microsoft developers blatantly stupid, or are they behind virus and ransomware? What if my files are encrypted and automatically sync'd to OneDrive? I would be more than happy to be using "more space" for every version of a file, rather than being scared of syncing a corrupt file and ruining it for life...

• CC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way to implement this feature is to fire all OneDrive team members including the PM here and recruit new ones. Am I correct, auto-responsive Douglas Pearce?

I just belatedly realized that Onedrive DOES NOT have this feature... I just took it for granted that it did, because Dropbox and Google Drive and every other service does. Ooof, looks like I need to find another solution for my file storage.

• Chris WebbChris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it killing onedrive? If you need it so bad get an office 365 subscription version of onedrive it has versioning for all files......

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of this feature is killing OneDrive. Microsoft last time killed many good stuff - Win Phone, Skype, Wunderlist and many many other.

• Chris WebbChris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kalos, they are talking about OneDrive consumer. OneDrive for business has versions for all files.

• KalosKalos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see and restore previous versions of Visio. Also did it with a .txt file.

It doesn't even work for all Microsoft Office file types. There are no previous versions for Visio files, or for templates. Only Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, apparently.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base