OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TXT file is not now supported with backup and file version functions. in ONEDRIVE. Please improve it! I just lost my thesis data because of it.

I delete my files by accident and then one drive asked me if I wanted to restore - I said yes but it did not restore my latest files - so anything I created in the last month did not come back - does anyone know how to restore again and make sure you get everything from a specific date like yesterday? Thank you

تیتیتنینویدیتسکسکسوستسکثتثستسکسویتسسکثتیثک

• Asher Merrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Keith, I'm having issues seeing version history as well. Incidentally, I noticed this problem today, though it may have started occurring/happened earlier this week or month.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone having issues seeing version history for non-Office docs? I have Office 365 Home, and I have yet to see version history enabled on pdfs and other files that I have updated regularly.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not work for my non office files. I'm using Office 365 Home on Windows 10 Home.

• E.R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This essential feature is not working!! (at least for Onedrive Personal)

Still not working. I've seen promisses about enabling that feature in many OneDrive posts, but it still doesn't work for me and the people I talked to.

• Sanjeev Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to restore backup (04 Feb 2018) on my device. But Still not received any response from your side.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not quite done.

Ironically, versioning is not available for OneNote notebooks stored in OneDrive since, for some reason, the notebook files aren't actually stored on OneDrive in a user-accessible location. Instead, we just get a URL to some unknown location. This is a problem because OneNote pages and content get corrupted all the time.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base