OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Mackey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't know about this lack of previous versions. Definitely gonna keep me as recommending OneDrive as a solution.

• Teddy Svoronos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has done great work integrating with iOS, way above Dropbox and Google drive, but this issue is preventing me fro switching over. Really hope this can be added soon.

• Akhila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did a big mistake by keeping my photos on onedrive. I lost all my photos. I should have used google drive. If you guys cannot provide us with orevious versions whats the point of advertising onedrive as a backup resort. We will go to our old method like hard drives or pen drives to keep our files. Because this service and pen drive is no different. Thank god we have google now. I was a microsoft biased person, but after this not any more.

• D Mytty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This work is in the plans" ... Is that like 'we should all plan for World Peace someday'? Or does Microsoft have a REAL plan, as in programmers assigned and boiling the code?

Considering that the short, not-to-the-point 'in the plans' comment was the most recent post by a Microsoft type, and it was made in March of 2015...it seems this might be more of the 'undercommunicate and underdeliver' strategy from Microsoft.

• Tyron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How come that hasn't seen light yet? It's the 5th top voted feature! I just feel I did a terrible mistake switching Dropbox for OneDrive...

• Chris Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company just switched operation over to onedrive. Looking at how I can recover lost or corrupted files. All files have just one version because they have not been modified since the migration. So, I don't think a versioning based restore is going to work. I read that Microsoft does daily backups. How does one restore from these backups?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel on the ETA to have versioning/history for all file types?

Not all Office file types are covered... Visio files are currently not covered by OneDrive

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame that onedrive is so far behind dropbox. The only reason I use it now is because it comes with my office 365 account. But I can surely tell for now: Dropxbox is MUCH better than onedrive.

Since I got onedrive, these things bother my life compared to when I used dropbox:

- Closing Word files takes suddenly time because it needs to upload. => What the heck? Dropbox can upload a file and does not waste my time while having a loading screen!

- Onedrive "upload errors" => So maaaaany times some files I really do not care about want my onedrive attention, because it seems onedrive cannot upload them. I mean seriously... I never have problems uploading a file with Dropbox...

Why is it so difficult to make a tool that WORKS? I mean seriously...

Kind of a long plan. Suggestion has been made in 08-2014.
    Already 1915 votes. Come on Microsoft. Step it up!
    We need this now!

I'm seriously considering going to another provider since file versioning could have recovered some important data in my work. Such a disappointment considering other providers have this feature for other files.

• Neal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sticking with dropbox until versioning for all file types is provided. Versioning longer than 30 days would be a plus. I'm even okay if it counts against storage, so long as controls are provided to manage.

• Ies Nijman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I indeed agree that this is a very important feature which for me is prohibitive as well. Additionally, not all the office files support this like advertised: Onenote, Visio and Project also lack versio history.

• Rob Gilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You say this is available for "Office file types", however it appears that OneNote notebooks do not have versioning.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I installed Windows 10, which broke so I had to use my backup drive to go back to Windows 7. But I felt sure since my most important files were on OneDrive. However - since the most recent files were not present in my backup, OneDrive deleted them from the cloud as well, and restored others to an older version - data loss. That really really should not happen.

• Linus Ahlemeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No doubt, this is very much needed. I just wanted to buy OneDrive for Business, but after learning this is missing I must consider working with DropBox until this is included. Please anyone from Microsoft let us in on a rough ETA.

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base