OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just lost changes to a .config xml file. I was shocked when i found out only office file types supported versioning. shame. shame.

This is the biggest thing that is holding me back from using OneDrive. I really need this feature, until this is added I will just have to continue with other cloud storage

My company is customer of Office365 and I must move all the organization towards Dropbox only for Onedrive missing this feature.
    Microsoft, please, prioritize this development.

• Vince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any indicative timeframe for this change? Not having version history on non-Office files is the only thing stopping me from moving all my cloud storage to OneDrive.

This needs to be absolutely the #1 priority - this is a safety issue. If files are corrupted on local machine, there is now way to fix for non-office files.

Guys, by doing this for Office files and not doing for other files you confused me a big time. I was really sure that OneDrive gives me versioning, because seen this feature for a Word document and did not even had an idea that someone at Microsoft would decide to make it unavailable for non-Office files. That's why now, when I actually need to restore a previous version of my Illustrator file, I find out that there's no versioning. It's bad, very very bad PM job - you're confusing your customers leading to data loss.

As of 8.5.2015 this is NOT implemented. Today I lost another hour of work, because I saved wrong file. That is the reason OneDrive must be 8,33 times cheaper than Dropbox for the same TB of space. We could not imagine world without Dropbox, but OneDrive is forced into OS.

• Farzad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was using Google drive before switching to OneDrive and the only thing I REALLY miss is that detailed history Google drive provided, which allowed me to decide on every tiny detail about file changes ...

• Sailesh Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Likewise, I would like to vote this up as a priority!! Dropbox versioning has saved me many times, and as a paid office365 subscriber, I would move over to onedrive if this feature was finally added

• Daniel Sokolowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sadly I though this was by default - lost 4 months of a KeePass entries. Because of this and 'Path too long' limit moving to other alternatives like Syncany.

• Vince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this one feature is what is stopping me from switching from Copy to OneDrive. I encrypt my private files (like tax info), and at the moment I can't get version history for them on OneDrive.

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature that OneDrive needs to implement ASAP. Adding my support for this. Please make sure you give us unlimited version history with no time limit (in other words, we can restore a file as far back as we need to, whether it be 30 days or 5 years ago). Also, please don't make it count against our storage limit (same as Dropbox).

• Alan Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When this feature has been added, I'll be glad to consider switching from Dropbox to OneDrive. I'm a designer and 99% of my files are Adobe Ai, PSG, Jpegs and HTML files.
    Please consider bumping it in priority. Thanks!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider the following. I don't think one wants an update of a tag like 'last played' to result in a new version, but I would want a new version if a tag like 'capture date' gets updated.

• Luka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news about starting to implement this feature, makes OneDrive a much better solution instantly! Thank you!

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base