OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rogerio Ribeiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only reason why I'm still using DropBox instead of OneDrive is the lack of file history for all files. I know OneDrive has file versioning for Office files, but it should extend that resource to all file types.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if my computer get infected with crypto virus and my data get corrupted and synced to my OneDrive account. For this be great to have a shadows copies of files or their versions.

• Jose123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone,I use CloudBacko (http://free.cloudbacko.com?r=1d) as an automatic backup solution, then I do some manual backup once a month on a local hard drive. But I’d like to skip that manual thing and get instead a second automatic solution.Do I sound too cautious, or do you guys also have not one but two backup solutions? What do you use?

• Clinton Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to have the backups on our Office documents! Lost a little work and found version history which saved me from having to do it over. Having this feature for all files would be amazing. Perhaps having settings for enable/disabling certain file extensions file history would be useful as well.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going to add my vote here, too. Lost some work recently on Onedrive by overwriting a file.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree here: Make OneDrive into the ultimate backup. And then make it easy to back up. I think File History on Windows 8.x great, but for someone really using OneDrive (as I am on my Surface Pro 3) where your local storage is less than everything you are storing on OneDrive, File History fails badly as you have to do a lot of work to back everything up to an external Hard Drive, instead, make it possible to do a File History backup *from OneDrive*. That would be absolutely amazing. Everything on the cloud, pull down just what you need, but then keep a local copy of your online files on a HardDrive and just do a File History sync of your OneDrive *through* your device when you want to (as your device shouldn't need to hold the .5 or 2 or 3 or 10 TB of data that you might wanton OneDrive). I love OneDrive (save for sharing! Major frowny face there), but it would be the best solution on the market if it really solved the issue of (1) storage AND (2) backups.

• Nathan Roberts (SunkNath) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey there,

This gets my vote, as I do think it is important. I know when I have been on the Microsoft community forums. I have seen a lot of threads about encrypting files.

If you have Office 2007 and up, you will be able to encrypt the document through the file, and security settings. This will NOT allow you to open the document on OneDrive though. You will need to download it onto your computer/ device.

Hope this helps for the time being,
    Regards,

• Gabriel Campos (pmow) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides malware, file versioning is essential for accidental deletions/modifications, etc. It doesn't make sense that it only works for office documents. This is just feature parity with every other sync service out there.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What level is OneDrive being encrypted at? At the filesystem level on a client or the sever backend storage?

I hope my data in OneDrive is encrypted server side, but I actually have no clue. On the client side, my guess would be the files are just stored on the local file system, which could be encrypted, depending on the OS configuration.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A super useful feature for the rare occasion that you'd need it.

• Rory OKelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneDrive for nearly everything but I have to keep DropBox on the go for code/projects/writing because it has versioning. If OneDrive had versioning I could finally ditch DropBox completely

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base