OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bill Ferreira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh it gets worse. While File Versioning was a kludge, with some effort, it could be made usable. Well with the Creators Update, it is now useless. 3rd party backup software quits working with each Windows update so that is no longer an option.

If 30 days of versioning is enough then Google Drive will do that job and has the advantage that it will sync/backup folders from many locations and drives, not just a single folder as with OneDrive.

It appears that the only solution is to switch to a Mac so that TimeMachine can be used and oh how I hate this solution.

Microsoft, we have our backs to the wall.

• Dinart Duarte Braga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you behind Wannacry ransomware? If not, why haven't you implemented this yet?

I just shifted from Google Drive and found that out, now I really regret buying 2 years of premium in advance.

I have no protection against ransomware anymore,

Use my spare space if needed, but don't leave me unprotected.

I can't believe I have to request that.

• Filippo Possenti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also second this request to add support for all file types. In fact, I think I already submitted a request for such a feature not too long ago. The reason being that Office is not the only productivity suite and some don't even have corresponding Microsoft products. Just think for CAD files or Photoshop or other suites.
    Competitors like Dropbox already support the feature, which makes them a lot more palatable for professional use not even so much in terms of checking what you previously did, but in terms of being able to restore a file mishandled by another person or corrupted by ransomware. In fact, I personally am forced to recommend professionals to use Dropbox despite it being more expensive and less integrated exactly because of this quite compelling feature.

Having such feature is not just a "nice to have": it's a missing feature that's shifting people to competitors, at least from my perspective.

• Andy Holland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Complete agree with the below comments. As an Office 365 Home user, I use One Drive as a document back-up system.

The lack of version history (standard in Dropbox, Box, Google Drive) will be the sole reason I allow my upcoming subscription to lapse at renewal time. It's simply not a solid offering compared to alternatives (including free ones) on the market.

I'd gratefully ask the Microsoft OneDrive team to reconsider the priority of this feature.

• NIck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well? So has it been implemented yet? Are you waiting for people to move to other services then do something? Avoiding the hassle of moving data can only keep people using your service for so long.

• Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments. Versioning for all types of files should be included in premium.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The key reason requesting this: currently it is a sync mechanism, i.e. when I change a file, it is synced. Now consider this... Ransomware comes along, encrypts my files, OneDrive syncs... <booooom> all my files gone and no way to retrieve them, because my 'backup' on OneDrive is not a backup :-( This is a must have!

• Chris Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just been looking for an online storage solution and lack of versioning in onedrive is a showstopper for me.

• Darrell Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments. Versioning for all types of files should be included in premium. SharePoint has this why not OneDrive? The lack of this feature keeps me from paying for premium.

• Željko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many votes and comments! We all deserve at least the explanation behind the decision not to implement the feature.

• Imran Ali Rashid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had a hard drive disaster take place. As soon as I logged in, certain images and videos as well as exe files were overwritten. They now have 0 bytes on my hard drive as well as on OneDrive. I'm a paying member and logged on to one drive to restore the older versions and to my surprise, older versions are only supported for office files. Those files are now gone and this is a disaster for me. I have a free dropbox account and was able to restore the files that had this issue there but here, where I'm paying, I'm out in the cold with no way out. I would request that this feature be made a priority.

• Ryan Dorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of versioning for all file types is the only thing preventing me from paying for the premium tier and using onedrive as my primary cloud storage service.

• Oscar Campos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ummm, I keep wondering, are Microsoft developers blatantly stupid, or are they behind virus and ransomware? What if my files are encrypted and automatically sync'd to OneDrive? I would be more than happy to be using "more space" for every version of a file, rather than being scared of syncing a corrupt file and ruining it for life...

• C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way to implement this feature is to fire all OneDrive team members including the PM here and recruit new ones. Am I correct, auto-responsive Douglas Pearce?

• Mike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who happen to have a Synology DMS on their network, I just now learned of this gem:
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup_Restore/How_to_back_up_the_data_on_my_PC_Mac_using_Cloud_Station

"Cloud Station can also retain up to 32 history versions of a single file which Cloud Station allows you to restore to a PC client from the server (NAS) side."

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base