OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just belatedly realized that Onedrive DOES NOT have this feature... I just took it for granted that it did, because Dropbox and Google Drive and every other service does. Ooof, looks like I need to find another solution for my file storage.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it killing onedrive? If you need it so bad get an office 365 subscription version of onedrive it has versioning for all files......

Lack of this feature is killing OneDrive. Microsoft last time killed many good stuff - Win Phone, Skype, Wunderlist and many many other.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kalos, they are talking about OneDrive consumer. OneDrive for business has versions for all files.

• Kalos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see and restore previous versions of Visio. Also did it with a .txt file.

It doesn't even work for all Microsoft Office file types. There are no previous versions for Visio files, or for templates. Only Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, apparently.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of this feature is killing OneDrive as a choice for us. The opposition offer it and it is very valuable when someone in the share group makes a mess of everything.

• Scott Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ADMIN: Your status, 'THINKING ABOUT IT', doesn't sound overly promising. How about interacting with the 4381 votes. I'd be very interested to know why you are 'THINKING ABOUT IT' instead of 'UPDATING PROGRAM'. Why are Microsoft so seemingly reticent to offer the basic functionality that drobbox does? Why restrict users who actually want to use OneDrive? Instead you ostensibly force those users to seek alternatives, dropbox, google drive, hubic, etc.

Personal, without this functionality, OneDrive is nothing but an online back-up solution, and even then, only for certain files.

Buy dropbox, integrate the technology into OneDrive, and everyone will be happy.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would not use OneDrive for my work due to missing version control for non-MS file types.

If I delete some important content in one of those and save the file by mistake, I have no way to get it back.

Plus it takes too long 'Processing changes' with lots of small files. I just want to know when the uploads will finish and I can move my laptop.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also for me currently the only reason to stay with dropbox...
    Please give an update by when this can be expected?

• Tom D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature that is needed by users . MS offers the feature to Business subscribers and chooses to hold it back from non-business users. Versioning (even with low version number limits) is critical for data preservation.
    MS, you need to re-evaluate your policy as it is off-putting to your customers and a strong consideration for choosing a competitors cloud sharing service product instead of onedrive.

I just switched over to OneDrive from Dropbox. Two days later I replace an important PDF by mistake and realize I can't recover it with versioning, yikes, I thought that was basic cloud functionality. OneDrive is missing one of the most important features of the Cloud, not acceptable, back to Dropbox my files in two minutes after I post this comment. OneDrive was a waste of time.

• TheOne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Omar Shahine (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) said two years ago that it was "Super important" and "in the plan" and now it's back to "thinking about it"??? This is the number 3 feature request, doesn't Microsoft listen to its users? In this state, OneDrive cannot be considered as a serious backup solution.

• Flavio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is been 3 years and nothing changed in that regard, Microsoft really knows how to lose its dying credibility and get everyone outraged !

They fool everyone offering 1TB storage while at the same time not even save previous versions of small files.

Congratulations Microsoft for having the money to hire the best brains but delivering the worst products.

It is a shame but I have no respect left for this company.

• Vanius RB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft drops from "in the plan" and back to "thinking about it".
    Tradution: forget guys, this will never be done. I'll stop payment this week and back to dropbox.

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base