OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

263 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jarrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread has been going for three and a half years. I just learned that this is not already feature? *cringe*

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of comments about people moving to Google Drive, but BE AWARE THAT GOOGLE DRIVE ALSO HAS A SIMILAR ISSUE. Sure, they protect all files, but ransomware encrypted files breaks the recovery feature. Do some searches if you don't believe me. As far as I know, DropBox might be the only solution at the moment.

• Lyghtnin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Josh - Actually the escalations team lead sent me this link and asked me to post a comment (see below). So they ACTUALLY DID HEAR my screams and listened to my cares you fucktart.

I am the lead for escalations I am going to bring this case up with the quality team to make sure our agents work is audited. Here is a link to the user voice page where you can up vote suggestions like enabling version history

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/6327142-enable-file-versioning-history-for-all-types-of

• Lyghtnin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a OneDrive Business account and I lost 9000 files of customer data that I stored on a business account that I pay for and because I apparently installed onedrive app on more than one PC - they became corrupted and all the files were set to 0K in size. Took phucktart support 13 days to get someone to tell me they have no backup on a phucking cloud drive system. Maybe understandable for the free version but not a paid business version. Here is a video of the support I've received. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0

• Scott Otterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was really surprised to discover (the hard way) that OneDrive does not actually do file versioning. Even the most basic backup systems all have it so I guess I just made the assumption that OneDrive would have it too.

The incomplete file versioning makes OneDrive inadequate. I have to switch to something else.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a pretty easy fix since they already have this capability in OneDrive for Business.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an updated status on this? I was considering moving over to Office 365 from DropBox, but it seems I might need to reconsider...

• David Bengtsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh... Microsoft should put a big warning on their website for not having version handling. I'm in the process of switching from Cubby to Onedrive, but now I realize that I must go with Dropbox instead.

OMG. I have never been afraid of ransomware because my important files are at OneDrive. Since I keep everythig encypted I don't even have versioning for office.
    Cannot believe they have no versioning!
    I will immediately quit my plan at MS and switch to a seriuos cloud provider.

• AvisErised 143 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't even realize this wasn't available in OneDrive. I figured versioning was a standard feature of all decent cloud services. Just migrated all my work files from Dropbox to OneDrive as our institute offers an account for the latter.

Will start paying for Dropbox myself after all. With all kinds of ransomware out and about, I can't risk not having a backup. I'm moving back to Dropbox!

This feature should be implemented at first! MS takes ages to plan this feature to users :(

• Ad van Loon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A week ago ransomware (Cryptolocker) hit my computer: the local map 'OneDrive' got an update, so the whole map synchronised that evening with the one in the Cloud. All Word- en PDF-files broke into 'pieces'. I managed to get the old version back. ONLY from Office Word-documents! NOT the pdf-files. I'm completely broken now.

I just got a ransom ware yesterday and I am learning this now. All 33gb of docs and scans are now in useless aes encrypted files!

• Jacob Dang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really surprised that a company like Microsoft has difficulties or otherwise is unwilling to implement such a basic feature. It has been requested for years. Cannot understand why it is still not implemented yet. Perhaps one drive team needs to learn more from its competitor, for example, why dropbox is so successful.

• Mike Porter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a former IT worker who should know better, I deleted OneDrive files and then replaced the deleted files on OneDrive with corrupt ones from a local drive. After realizing my mistake I deleted the bad files from OneDrive into the OneDrive Recycle Bin. The corrupt files had correct metadata: file size, file path, file type were all correct. When I looked at each file in the OneDrive recycle bin I knew they were all corrupt even though on the surface the looked perfect. The corrupted files with all of the "right credentials" had replaced the non-corrupted files in my recycle bin and I was left without a useful recovery tool. I was more than a little surprised that Microsoft had no point-in-time backup. You will save a great number of users a lot of pain if you were to incorporate this practice. How can you not do this as a best practice? You could offer it as a service with an additional cost to the user.

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base