I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,173 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    osmosm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

240 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, we have a corrupt version of an access document sitting in Onedrive (for a not for profit) that we are trying to access the Version History. We do not see Version History if we right click nor on the top tool bar option. Is this feature not available on the free version?

• Rob GeoghanRob Geoghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just did a restore on a non Microsoft file type to a previous version in OneDrive for Business. This feature is available on my tenant, despite not finding any post from Microsoft anywhere saying that they enabled this feature.

• tianmatianma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ********...So many essential cloud features that were promised more than a year ago. Still barebones.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was looking to switch to OneDrive like a year ago but needed this feature. It's still not hear a year later?

So I'm with the others . . . .when will versioning for other files be included since it is "super important?"

• Conor FinlayConor Finlay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you F***ing serious? This is a complete joke. Only realized this after I needed the feature. I was a former DropBox subscriber and never stopped to consider that onedrive might not have this completely necessary feature. Moving back the Dropbox. Why is it in Dropbox for Business but not personal?

MS laughs at us. Lacking such a basic functionality, regardless of technical difficulties, is no excuse for a tech behemoth. I pay for Office 365 and dont get a simple file version history? I need to version control PDFs, images, DWGs and a whole bunch of lot of resource files, not only Word and Excel files!

• David MackeyDavid Mackey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? I'm using Dropbox now and would love to use OneDrive, but this one feature missing makes that impossible.

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about removing file version history after protecting (encrypting) a file after it has built up un-protected (un-encrypted) history...? How does one purge or permanently remove the version history?

• VinceVince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Super important that we offer customers the ability to recover files that have been modified in unexpected or unwanted ways." Yet nearly 15 months down the track, OneDrive is still lacking in this area. I think the time for waiting is over, and I need to move to another cloud storage solution.

• Glenn ChubakGlenn Chubak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onedrive isn't an effective solution for storing data without this feature. When is it coming? Google drive has this why can't onedrive?

• Rich PenaRich Pena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah I'm not just going to aws, dropbox, google **** I just refuse to use junk like that and they are in public datacenters where anything could get to them unlike MS. That's the whole point of being able to manage your DATA in a 'CLOUD' and know (sort of or as best) where your files are or with who! Don't go crazy and use all these technologies and then where's your stuff? In the hands of who? At best I use Both OneDrive Personal (Backup Solutions) and OneDrive Business they work great together for me at least...

• HadiHadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I switcehd from Dropbox to OneDrive, It seemed to me that it supports this feature. When I required it to restore one previous version of my PhD dissertation, I realized this fact that this is in plan!! I could not believe that they neglect this necessary feature!!!

• IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been exactly one year since it was "in the plans". How are the plans progressing? It can't be that hard to implement this can it?

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base