OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

5,166 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    osm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  John Rodrigues responded  · 

We are expanding version history support to all file types for OneDrive personal account users. As a result, customers will now be able to restore or download previous versions of all their files for up to 30 days. It will be available to everyone this summer; currently, approximately 10% of OneDrive users can see and interact with this feature.

You can read more about file versioning and how to use it on our blog: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/19/expanding-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types

We understand how critical your data is to you. We also understand that threats are continually evolving and that our product must evolve too. This is one of several steps you will see us take in the near future to help protect you and your data.

258 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Josh McFadden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@BChuck more like if you walk into a Microsoft OneDrive office, is anyone there?

PS: No one hears your screams, or cares.

• BChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I think this philosophical proverb needs to be updated so today's youth can understand.

"If you post an idea on the Microsoft uservoice, does anyone read it?"

• Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely unbelievable, I setup syncing slide shows between my two computers. Did massive, almost final version, saved 2 times in the day, closed the program. Moved to the other computer, and the computer somehow uploaded its older version, and overwrote all the changes made throughout the day. Too bad I cannot find an older version to restore. Now I will investigate other options.

• John Wolgamot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, I just convinced a customer to use office 365 personal because it comes with 1TB one drive. Now I find that it won't even protect against ransomeware due to not being able to roll back as I've done with other customers who had dropbox.
        How could you not allow for a mass roll back. If they can't feel protected, they'll cancel office 365 and subscribe to dropbox. So which is it, do you, or do you not allow mass roll back for one drive personal?

• Zaman Shahriary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can help to recover files which has been affected by some ransomwares. If you need my help please email me!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also lost couple files after an unexpected reboot to apply the updates.

Thanks Microsoft!! I losted 2 work days..

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pathetic, Microsoft. I am sick of fixing OneDrive messes with files not syncing, then creating duplicates, then losing previous versions that can no longer be recovered.

• Rens Smal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous that this feature is not in OneDrive. Moved to Dropbox after discovering this and lost due to that 8 hours of work programming.

• CKing123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do so. Now that ransomwares are becoming far more common, it is a good idea if this incremental backup/versioning is available.

Wow! This sucks. Just lost 3 hrs of work. Think it's time to go back to Google Drive. Been with MS since '86. Don't know why they just don't seem to care.

I didn't realise this was the case for non office files. I'll now stop my migration from Dropbox to OneDrive and move all my files back to Dropbox.

• Bjornung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just lost thousands of files due to Locky Ransomeware and all files were encrypted and originals deleted (and overwritten) by the virus. All files now end, with "zepto" and has an new name. Guess what, all files were synced up to OneDrive and MS tells me that the original files cannot be recovered!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, we have a corrupt version of an access document sitting in Onedrive (for a not for profit) that we are trying to access the Version History. We do not see Version History if we right click nor on the top tool bar option. Is this feature not available on the free version?

• Rob Geoghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just did a restore on a non Microsoft file type to a previous version in OneDrive for Business. This feature is available on my tenant, despite not finding any post from Microsoft anywhere saying that they enabled this feature.

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base