I suggest you ...

Enable file versioning / history for all types of files (not just Office types)

I know you can recover previous versions of Microsoft Office files in OneDrive. But in Dropbox and Google Drive, you can recover previous versions of any file type (and this has been a long standing feature of these services). Please give us the ability to restore previous versions of any file type in OneDrive.

4,800 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    osmosm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

212 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. Idea created add August 21, 2014

Response created at March 27, 2015

Now 25 April 2016

I need this feature as soon as possible and i am still waiting !

If you dont have time to offer this "one of the most important" requirement , please tell us and i will cancel my subscription

I just got OneDrive with Samsung and wanted to give it a go, but first i checked if it supports file versioning, but this is bad news. I am not going to use OneDrive... :(

"In the plans". Simply abysmal. This should have been a feature prior to OneDrive being released. Epic fail MS.

• FabioFabio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Omar if a malware (ctb locker) has infected all my files on onedrive changing the file extension how do I restore an older version of Office file types?
        It's possible to ask for restore the entrire onedrive backup?
        Thank you

• ChristophChristoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yikes! I just migrated gigabytes of data from Dropbox to Onedrive. Now I'm terrified to read that Onedrive does not have versioning for all file types. Can't believe it!

I'm going straight back to Dropbox. Luckily I can recover all the files I just deleted from Dropbox at the click of a button!

• John BJohn B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not implemented yet (don't confuse this with Windows File History). Please implement this soon!

• Peter SheridanPeter Sheridan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this already implemented? I can view previous versions of both .txt and .7z files.... Please confirm.
        Thanks

• SBSB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is "super important" then how come that the issue have not been resolved a year after?

• AlbertoAlberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Omar mentioned this is super important. And the importance rises with all the ransomware that is currently spreading. Please implement this fast.

• John StewJohn Stew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS could limit versioning to a certain size several Megabytes, at least to help on this Ransomware war that we are trying to survive.
        This way MS would help everyone on this fight. It makes no sense limiting this service to office files, made more sense limiting on size.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with everything being said here. Version History only on MS documents....simply pathetic.

And to think, I've been recommending to my clients that they dump their expensive DropBox to move to OneDrive. What an idiot I am.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When? The last update from Microsoft was almost a year ago!
        I hope versioning will be for both "OneDrive for Business" and regular "OneDrive". Besides the normal reason to look for older versions of files, I am concerned about the "Cryto Virus" issues. Backup is the only real solution if attacked.

Wow! No file versioning?

Microsoft, I feel embarrassed for you. You are so far behind you competitors. If it wasn't for the hold you have with your office suite you would be out of business very quickly.

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base