I suggest you ...

Allow files that have special characters in the name to be uploaded

This makes it hard to convert users in our company.

1,314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am angry and frustrated at this. Having decided to try and switch back to Windows from Mac after a decade, I am starting to regret my decision, and this OneDrive issue in particular is ridiculous and utterly unnecessary. I agree with the multitude of comments below that all filenames should be permitted, and declaring the issue solved, particularly with a self congratulatory "Boom! Its done" is nonsense. Come on MS, sort this out properly.

How can this idea be closed? A folder named C# will not sync. Visual Studio re-creates the folder every time i delete it, and so I can't sync my VS settings to One Drive :-(

Really. And I can't have a folder called C#... Or anything with umlauts or other diacritical mark...

I'm about to buy OneDrive for myself and I seeing this post, a question from 2014 and Admin says it's solved in 2017, but only solved two symbols, also only solved it for Business. lol.
        What a "BOOM! IT'S DONE".

• GentlyAnnoyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who's got time for this shyte!?
        Can't sync C# stuff to One Drive right out of the box!!!???
        MS needs to fire someone's a$$ and fix this, then it will be "BOOM! IT'S DONE."

I try to this step was successful,

$adminUPN="<usernameofglobaladmin@domainname.com>"
        $orgName="https://<domainname>.sharepoint.com"
        $userCredential = Get-Credential -UserName $adminUPN -Message "Type the password."

Connect-SPOService -Url https://<domainname>-admin.sharepoint.com -Credential $userCredential

Set-SPOTenant -SpecialCharactersStateInFileFolderNames Allowed

#check to complete
        Get-SPOTenant | Format-List SpecialCharactersStateInFileFolderNames

• Sami Safadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onedrive is still unusable; I can't sync thousand of files. I will stick with dropbox. I was trying to save some money to drop dropbox as I have office 365 with 1TB of cloud space but can't do it. Pretty ridiculous that onedrive is basically the only cloud service that does not sync special characters and long file names.

• Mielul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Makes being Romanian and having ș and ă being used all over the place become a pain. 270 archives not synchronized from 1362. Lets not talk about ñ not being supported as well.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For hells' sake! Why don't you follow the documentation in MSDN for filenames under windows at least!!!!! What moron put this ridiculous app out into the wild and expected me to pay for it! i was just about to buy office 365 and then i did a test sync and all of a sudden 1000s of files cannot sync! That sucks when you are a developer!

• Jose Cijntje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The world is a just a little bit larger than the U.S. of A. There are names with special Characters all over the world. I just received my invoice for renewal and will need to explain my customer, a lawyer, that it's just too bad, but he will have to go thru all of his dossiers and change the names of his clients, and instruct the personnel not to use the clients real name, but the American version of the name when they need to search. This is sad.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"BOOM! IT'S DONE"...but only for two characters...and only for the people who pay us the most money. Meanwhile literally every other cloud service knows its not the '90s anymore.

• Thomas McKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the format dd-mm | project in a yyyy folder in my photos workflow. It means when you are scanning down a list of projects in any year the names line up for easy reading. That | symbol is an invalid chr for OneDrive so I cannot use it for the main reason I subscribe. There are too many years & folders to change to say ; which serves the same purpose. Many photo enthusiasts/pro's use this file format. Annoyingly when I did try porting folders over it did not tell me the reason it was not working was an invalid chr right away, I only figured it out by accident. Hours of transfer time wasted!!

• Mathew Broady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot talk to any administrators as I am using the school one. HOW THE **** AM I SUPPOSED TO ENABLE IT.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base