OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow files that have special characters in the name to be uploaded

This makes it hard to convert users in our company.

1,314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

175 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, many people use the asterisk symbol to put files/folders at the top of an alphabetical list. Surprised you don't allow it. Please make the change, it's 2018.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thought I'd give onedrive a try and BOOM, ran into this. Thousands of files and folders not Syncing because of the & character and others. Maybe I should push all these files to Github instead.

• Sergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here ... changing to one drive business and 11679 files to change the name due to ~ " & * : < > ? / \ { | }.

I will buy dropbox or google drive and will forget this.

Just have office 365 ...perhaps in a few months I will cancel too.

Shame on you...Microsoft.

• American Programmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW! I just decided to move from Google (Drive, etc.) to Microsoft 365. Like so many users here, I can't synch files with characters like /<>*? WTF? Google, Dropbox, and the others all allow this. So much for switching to Microsoft. Glad I got the one month trial. No way I'm going to go through thousands of files and change their names. Let alone...I now work out of Spain, where we have ñ, é, ¡¿. I guess Microsoft only wants OneDrive to work for Americans who only name things in full sentences without punctuation.

Let us know when your cloud is able to do something this simple, and we'll consider it at that time. Until then...WTF?

Character restrictions need to be brought in line with other cloud services. This has been a frustration for too long.

• Pere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please solve this. I will have to move to another cloud solution if files with OSX valid characters are not being synced.

I switched from Dropbox to Onedrive, only to have folders and files that previously synced to Dropbox be invalid. Looks like I'll have to renew Dropbox again...

• Ian Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't done until the characters people mention below work. I'm going to have to switch to a different cloud storage provider because of this.

• Ciaran Madden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now you only have these characters left to do ~ " & * : < > ? / \ { | }

Seriously, not being able to do this is utterly pathetic.

I too am angry and frustrated at this. Having decided to try and switch back to Windows from Mac after a decade, I am starting to regret my decision, and this OneDrive issue in particular is ridiculous and utterly unnecessary. I agree with the multitude of comments below that all filenames should be permitted, and declaring the issue solved, particularly with a self congratulatory "Boom! Its done" is nonsense. Come on MS, sort this out properly.

How can this idea be closed? A folder named C# will not sync. Visual Studio re-creates the folder every time i delete it, and so I can't sync my VS settings to One Drive :-(

Really. And I can't have a folder called C#... Or anything with umlauts or other diacritical mark...

I'm about to buy OneDrive for myself and I seeing this post, a question from 2014 and Admin says it's solved in 2017, but only solved two symbols, also only solved it for Business. lol.
        What a "BOOM! IT'S DONE".

• GentlyAnnoyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who's got time for this shyte!?
        Can't sync C# stuff to One Drive right out of the box!!!???
        MS needs to fire someone's a$$ and fix this, then it will be "BOOM! IT'S DONE."

I try to this step was successful,

$adminUPN="<usernameofglobaladmin@domainname.com>"
        $orgName="https://<domainname>.sharepoint.com"
        $userCredential = Get-Credential -UserName $adminUPN -Message "Type the password."

Connect-SPOService -Url https://<domainname>-admin.sharepoint.com -Credential $userCredential

Set-SPOTenant -SpecialCharactersStateInFileFolderNames Allowed

#check to complete
        Get-SPOTenant | Format-List SpecialCharactersStateInFileFolderNames

• Sami Safadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onedrive is still unusable; I can't sync thousand of files. I will stick with dropbox. I was trying to save some money to drop dropbox as I have office 365 with 1TB of cloud space but can't do it. Pretty ridiculous that onedrive is basically the only cloud service that does not sync special characters and long file names.

• Mielul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Makes being Romanian and having ș and ă being used all over the place become a pain. 270 archives not synchronized from 1362. Lets not talk about ñ not being supported as well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

OneDrive Archive: Android

Feedback and Knowledge Base