I suggest you ...

Allow files that have special characters in the name to be uploaded

This makes it hard to convert users in our company.

1,314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

169 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric Garza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is getting old. Any progress? I am getting tired of discovering the sync is broken due to this problem.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, I just hit this today too and I'm shocked. Worse still, because of they way the error message is worded, I raised a stink through my company's IT department thinking that this was due to my "organizaiton's policies".

Somebody grab the OneDrive product owner and tell them to move this to the top of the backlog!!

• Anyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, continue to upload files that don't have invalid characters. Why does the whole program shut down for only 1 file?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still working on it? An update would be great after almost 6 months. Your own software uses # and % for naming files in visual studio and yet you see it to be an issue for onedrive? Excuses are getting old, actions speak louder than words.

• Gerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like this was a problem in Aug.2014 and still in Sep. 2016. It is now Feb. 2017 and they still don't upload. How long do we have to wait, another three years? We have a business to run not a hobby. This is very much of a problem when you have hundreds of files with % and # that no other program has a problem with. It should be a very simple coding fix to allow a few symbols.

• pkirill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should get a partial refund on our O365 E3 licensing. Between the extremely long "OneDrive - <your super long tenant name here>" folder, the confusing OneDrive / OneDrive for Business installation and setup, and the invalid characters issue, OneDrive for Business is essentially useless. Since Microsoft has integrated is so tightly with the other O365 products, they are all to some extent crippled as well.

• Michael Adkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just moved my files from OneDrive to OneDrive for Business and ran across this problem. Why would it work for personal but not for business?

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a large department in my office just make us roll out Dropbox for them because they got sick and tired of me saying "it's coming soon". This has been on their roadmap for ages, now I'm supporting and administrating Onedrive for the other departments and Dropbox for the rest. What a hassle.

• Just commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any movement on this or do I renew Dropbox for another year?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason behind not allowing special characters in OneDrive is vulnerability using code characters - VB Script and C+ language. They are being secure, even though converting a Sales company using Invoice numbers for me takes for ever to re-name files. I hear your pain, as it took me 3 months to move our main share over to OneDrive.

• onur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was in the trial period of Office 365 for Business to move my business' cloud needs to Microsoft but this is a deal braker. Back to Dropbox :/

• simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can't move our business to OneDrive from the current provider as this is just ridiculous. It is a MUST that all files are uploaded, no matter what the name of the file is.

• regis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this feature...
        It's causing too much trouble here for me.

• Kristen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any more updates regarding this issue... It's been 4 months so far...

My question is why are Special Characters allowed in File Names on OneDrive Personal & not for OneDrive for Business?

This is a very big problem we are in the process of transferring our files from GoogleDrive > One Drive and now have hit a road block as over 4,000 files cannot be synced due to this.

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base