OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow files that have special characters in the name to be uploaded

This makes it hard to convert users in our company.

1,314 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

179 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an estimate that can be given on when this will be fixed?

• howard brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Long path tool is the very best program for error, unlock solution.and it is very useful tool.

• Lawrence L7337 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all know MS doesn't give a **** about improving there products... until a competitor comes along and does it better. This has been around for 3 years.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this be fixed, it is ridiculous to not be able to save the # character, I have all kinds of files with # in it, when will this be fixed? IT's almost 2017 SEE BELOW.

Jason Moore
    Admin
    Jason Moore (Group Program Manager, Microsoft, Microsoft) responded · September 27, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. As we announced at Ignite 2016, we’re working on enabling both # and % for file and folder names in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint.

Working on and making it happen are 2 different things, just get it done, 2 month since that post.

Would love to see this happen soon! Every week for the past year I've been checking here and the 365 roadmap for this. It makes migrations so much easier for our organization.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Assume this also applies to OneDrive "consumer" Running a Robocopy Job which keeps overwriting existing files, as its changing files with &'s etc to ^^. or ^j ?

• Declan Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the schools in Northern Ireland have been give Onedrive accounts but a lot of pupils and staff are complaining about documents not transferring over. I've worked out that it is down to the filenames having 'special' characters such as the # symbol in the filename plus others that have accents.

Is there a likelihood that 'special' characters will be allowed?

When saving my files as... my "," are being replaced with "^" and "^J". I have to manually fix them when saving every document. Very time consuming. Help?

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and "_files" at end of folder name. if you save a web page that generates associated files in a folder with _files then onedrive for business does not like it.

Can you allow for file types of name #, %, etc?
    I cannot rename some of these files as they are used by Visual Studio. It would be very helpful. A way around would be to upload files with names like CSharp, rather than the actual thing called C#, if it is a server problem, and then convert on the down.

• Sami Safadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to sign for office 365 and switch from Dropbox to onedrive. However I can't do it as all my files with special characters can't get uploaded. It is a major issue and if Microsoft wants to expand with mac users, they have to fix this issue. Special characters are being accepted by any other cloud service, Dropbox, google drive etc... I don't understand why it is an issue with onedrive

• Eric Haddan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I successfully uploaded a file to OD for business with both the # and % in the filename using the REST API.

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base