I suggest you ...

Syncing over LAN

This would allow multiple PCs / Devices with the same OneDrive account to sync over the local LAN network. This makes a huge difference when setting a new PC (or restoring one) as you can transfer 100's of gigs over the LAN much faster and without impacting your Internet bandwidth cap.

3,168 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MichaelMichael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

149 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ToddTodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can honestly say that had I done my research, I would not have switched to OneDrive from Dropbox, and that this one feature is enough for me to drop Office365. Asinine is the word that comes to mind.

• SimeonSimeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With proper P2P sync, I could sync Onenote without even being connected to the internet. I'm a teacher, and our school doesn't have WLAN yet. The only possibility to sync Onenote one the fly (and using my Ipad as a second screen) is opening a Hotspot and wasting my 300 MB high-speed mobile data for this. I must have wasted hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft's server capacity for resyncing after Windows reinstalls and it was awfully slow as well. Maybe you should check how often you send the same data to the same user. I think you could have saved 90% with me.

• Rabindra AdhikariRabindra Adhikari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People of 21st century are smart enough to choose smarter option. I do not wish, being proud of what it have but being such conservative, Microsoft will not get through the situation what KODAK or NOKIA faced.

• Phillip PaparonePhillip Paparone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute necessity... you did it with P2P LAN syncing of OS updates, why not OneDrive? This directly impacts UX - would should be your company's primary focus.

• JeanJean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this yesterday. We're having to sell Dropbox to clients because OneDrive is not competative in this regards.

• Paul SzelagiewiczPaul Szelagiewicz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must, how is it not a high priority... this would eliminate MANY of the sync error you get when trying to connect to the cloud... other workaround is setup your onedrive folder as a shared folder in windows and connect via UNC.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2017 and Microsoft won't budge regarding this issue. Been a Dropbox user since 2010 and just moved to Onedrive...so frustrating!

• Keanu LorenzoKeanu Lorenzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must! I expect this feature will be available very soon. :D
        This would be very useful to be honest.

• GraniteStateColinGraniteStateColin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing this feature is not included. I use two desktops, a laptop, and a convertible tablet, all running Windows 10, except one running Windows 8.1. We only have 768k DSL, because that's all that's available here (w/o going to satellite with its data caps). With our limited Internet bandwidth, I am effectively prevented from using OneDrive on all but one computer (my main desktop). Otherwise, every change would trigger a cascade of Internet activity to all the other computers as they wastefully attempt to sync over the Internet. It would be great to have a LAN sync so that when I leave the house with the laptop or tablet, I can continue to have access to those files.

Please implement this!

• BrionBrion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I postponed purchasing Office365 for 1.5 years, due to bugs, lack of compelling reasons to upgrade, satisfaction with mac office 2011. The 1TB OneDrive account did not compel me to upgrade because it lacks Lan Sync. I googled to see if it has been addressed. I still do not use OneDrive because of lack of Lan Sync. I continue to use DropBox instead.

round-trip syncing has proven unusably slow with the Box account I have to use with some corporate teams. In my own lab I need to move code and data quickly between machines and round-trip syncing is too slow to be useful. I use dropbox instead.

• CarlosCarlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add another vote for adding LAN Sync to OneDrive and OneDrive for Business as a high priority. I love this feature in Dropbox and it saves so much time and Internet bandwidth.

This would be a great feature. I am using up a pile of band width to upload a file then to download it again 3 times to 3 other computers 3 feet away which are already part of my network!

• Jeremy CathJeremy Cath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft make the bold claim under Satya that they're now user driven, yet top #5 requests like this stay on the backlog for approaching 3 years (and not even high on the backlog). Meanwhile competitive products enable the feature and all of a sudden it's harder to justify another piece of the MS value proposition.
        A lot of the world outside the Redmond bubble has metered pricing for internet usage (heck, even Comcast is rattling that cage again) so this becomes more important.
        When Microsoft says to me as a customer they'd prefer me to put a file on a USB drive and sneakernet it from my Mac to my PC on the same network, they're saying they don't value my needs as a customer

Add another vote for adding LAN Sync to OneDrive and OneDrive for Business as a high priority. I love this feature in Dropbox and it saves so much time and Internet bandwidth.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you make it higher? Its not even on the 2017 roadmap :( I am losing customers to Dropbox all the time because of this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

OneDrive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base