I suggest you ...

Update 'OneDrive for Business' to sync with a network drive

OneDrive for Business currently only syncs with a directory on the C:\ drive.

In a Business environment, users have a personal drive (called H:\ drive here) where they store documents and data.

Please make OneDrive for Business sync a directory in the H:\ drive.

This is the default data drive for users - so it's where they expect to start a navigation to a file. Seriously, who (in a business environment) stores data on C:\ drive where it isn't backed up?

This also makes it easy to switch out a laptop for a new one. Nothing is on the c:\drive.

When a business has thousands of laptops, this stuff makes a big difference.

646 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Reuben Krippner responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion – it’s definitely a valid scenario. Being transparent we’ve got other engineering priorities right now and so won’t be able to address this in the short term. We’ll revisit this scenario once our short to mid-term feature investments are delivered.

170 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could sync network drive, but..with small SSD's I'd rather just be able to access my one drive via file explorer and not have it sync.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? Microsoft, this isn't even a feature - it's now an absolute necessity. What is the reasoning behind blocking this? Permissions? Bandwidth? Does the onedrive sync process do something screwy with file locks? At least tell us what the issue is, you owe us that.

• Chuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So disappointed. We have been moving files to the cloud. WebDAV is not reliable. Onedrive sync was working from the server as a file share. Now it crashes every 3 to 5 minutes. Any one know of a third party solution? Anybody recommend a good document management platform? My folks are starting to see the benefit of Delve and Teams - just a headache for me at this point.

I bought OneDrive for Business expecting this simple, simple, simple feature to be available. More fool me. I have been loyal to Microsoft for so many years. This problem and other stupid issues I am having with Windows10 on my mobile are really pushing me to give up on the company as a whole. I get phone calls from them asking why I am not using my OneDrive (well actually Office365). What a ridiculous scenario.

A very P****d off computer programmer.

Forgot a "

Change to your one drive folder using cd
        Make the link to your network storage
        mklink /D "HomeDrive" "\\Home\XXXXXXX"

Open a Command prompt
        Change to your One drive folder
        mklink /D "HomeDrive" "\\Home\XXXXXXXX

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive for Business is completely useless without the ability to sync a network drive. Why is this not your #1 priority? It's obviously the most requested feature. It's unfortunate every time you try to move away from other solutions to streamline processes u sing only 365, you find that the one thing you need the most, you cannot do. May I suggest the following, Stop providing useless tools like powerapps and start focusing on giving your customers what we need.

• fums commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has become so disconnected from their customers' needs. Sync is ****.

Absolutely. Who would have thought Microsoft would be pushing an incomplete backup solution to business...?

quit screwing around and get this built already. MS claims to be focused on their cloud initiative, yet something so simple is preventing major organizations such as mine from adopting Onedrive in the workplace.

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absurd that you cant sync to a network drive. 365 is a toy solution for ONE highschool kid. Its not a business grade offering. Its inferior to even google apps.

So have your "short to mid-term feature investments" been delivered ? Does MS have ANY idea how negatively business are being impacted ?

• Joe Ruder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent an hour at a client trying to get this to work. Could not believe that it does not, I should have done my homework, true. But to expect a business product to use a mapped drive is pretty normal.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

OneDrive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base