OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Update 'OneDrive for Business' to sync with a network drive

OneDrive for Business currently only syncs with a directory on the C:\ drive.

In a Business environment, users have a personal drive (called H:\ drive here) where they store documents and data.

Please make OneDrive for Business sync a directory in the H:\ drive.

This is the default data drive for users - so it's where they expect to start a navigation to a file. Seriously, who (in a business environment) stores data on C:\ drive where it isn't backed up?

This also makes it easy to switch out a laptop for a new one. Nothing is on the c:\drive.

When a business has thousands of laptops, this stuff makes a big difference.

646 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
not right now  ·  Reuben Krippner responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion – it’s definitely a valid scenario. Being transparent we’ve got other engineering priorities right now and so won’t be able to address this in the short term. We’ll revisit this scenario once our short to mid-term feature investments are delivered.

197 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • j commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, Microsoft should make this work with a network drive.

A symbolic link is a workaround I've implemented in the past

• Michi Uno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous! We are almost being forced into using online 365 and need to login with MS logins to use our computers - the great benefit being that we can use setups and data on all devices and they all magically sychronize. So much to the promotional part.
    In reality, the central piece of this entire charade is totally unusable. That's right. OneDrive for Business is not usable! It has been explained several times in this thread that no business wants data on the C drive. There is not enough space there and it is not how businesses are set up. Period.
    Since 2015, this thread is asking for MS to change this. Nothing! No reaction, no correction.

And here is why: It is not in Microsoft's interest to enable network drives to be the local storage space for OneDrive. Why? Because then people could actually use it and would. Imagine how many Terabytes of data Microsoft would have to actually use on their servers to provide space for 1 to 5 Terabytes per user?

That's it MS does not want you to use OneDrive extensively, it would const them money.

So much ********, I can't stand it.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not read this whole thread but you could create an iSCSI volume on your external storage and map it as a local drive. I have used this in tricking accounting applications that the drive letter selected was local and then allow sharing of data. In some cases you may have to change local security rights and possibly ownership rights to the local user.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

July 1, 2015: we’ve got other engineering priorities right now... ... We’ll revisit this scenario once our short to mid-term feature investments are dlivered

January 24, 2019

Still nothing.

Why am I not surprised?

• Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the single biggest issue with OneDrive. For another EXTREMELY critical reason: People are migrating en masse to using solid state hard drives to get dramatic performance improvements on their computers. They are much faster, but aren't typically that big. They only need to be large enough to hold the operating system, and users typically offload personal files like movies, pictures, and music to another local hard disk, whether internal or external. Those can never be backed up on OneDrive because they would quickly overwhelm the solid state drive C:. This is a gaping hole in OneDrive's capabilities. Microsoft needs to fix this NOW before GoogleDrive eats their lunch.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also interested in this option. I believe that a workaround I've used for wbadmin backups could work for OneDrive. wbadmin will not maintain snapshots when backing up to a network location. I created VHD files on network share, then connected these to client computer. Once the VHD is mounted, it performs as a local drive and not a network mapped drive, thus maintaining the VSS snapshots from backups. The only issue is getting the VHD's to mount after reboot.

I will test this when I can, and report back. I don't believe the limitation is for C: drive only, as your PC could contain various local drive letters.

• andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My $employer really does not like us having files on our devices - but has installed onedrive as a standard.

If you can only synchronise files that are on the local device, this product has no utility for me

or anyone else whose employer does the same.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature will never be implemented. Despite what any mod on here might tell you, it's in Microsoft's best interest to force you into in fully cloud based network that every single employee in your business will have to have a subscription license for. No license, no access to files. Period. Additionally, they cut out your business's network admins, whether in house or subcontracted, and force you to use their 'services' (see date of above post for approximate quality of said services).

• Iain T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes One Drive particularly limited - as with many other businesses we have personal company data on a mapped network drive (H) and it would be ideal to have this map to One Drive...

Disappointing!

"Valid scenario".... right..... you think? I've achieved a workaround to accomplish this. I wrote a batch file which contains commands using the "robocopy" file utility. I use the utility to copy files from the C: drive OneDrive area to the network drive I want to sync. You can write the batch file to go either way. Even if you don't keep copies of the files on C: ("free up space") and the only copies are in the cloud, when you execute the command to copy from C: to the network, your OS will download the file from the cloud and copy it to the network. If you go the other way and sync to the cloud FROM the network, you'll probably need to "free up space" to get rid of the files on your C: drive after the batch file is done. I leave my workstation on and use Task Scheduler to run the batch file at 3 AM so that it doesn't give anyone bandwidth headaches, because sometimes I have to move large amounts of data in this way. BE CAREFUL with the ROBOCOPY command switches... it can destroy data as well as save it, if you're not careful!! If you're not familiar with the command, study the switch options for it before you use it, especially the /MIR switch. Use test files and directories before you use it on live files to make sure that you configured the switches correctly.

• Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

clearly not in the short term or the long term. I love the pathetic reply : its definitely a valid scenario.
    Reminds me of GM and their blindness to compact cars in the 70s. Lef the door wide open to Japanese imports and lost so much market share. Hubris and arrogance. No wonder Edge is such a popular browser.

Interesting that this comment was first posted in 2015...and still no sync with a network share! What could be more of a priority than being able to use OneDrive for business in a business environment...i.e. networked resources! I am fed up of the "workarounds"...and just need this to work!

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just switched to Onedrive business.. And I can only sync to C drive??.. So much for "business".. This onedrive for busines as it stands now is for grandmothers backing up pictures of her garden and grandchildren.. Far cry from any "business" use. LMAO, what short term features need developing when the current feature this was intended for doesn't work?? I should be able to point onedrive to ANY folder, on any drive I desire and click a SYNC option and walk away... That would be a feature you need to develop.. And NOW.. As for onedrive and Microsoft business as is now... I rate it totally useless for business.. Tell grandma she can back up her cookie recipes..

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please listen to your paying customers and start developing this capability!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

OneDrive Archive: OneDrive for Business

Feedback and Knowledge Base