I suggest you ...

Allow any folder to be synced

Currently if you want to sync files they must be saved to \users\<username>\OneDrive. This is way too limiting!!! Need to be able to define any folder in any path to be a synced folder.

802 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brent Pearce shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Ryan.Zacher responded  · 

Understand the request, but there are no plans for this at this time.

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The following suggestion does not work really well. After the initial sync, files in the link do not get synced again until there are changes in the "onedrive" folder. It seems onedrive only checks files in the "onedrive" folder to look for changes. However, when it syncs, it will sync files in the link too.

Graham Beech commented · June 16, 2017 11:36 · Flag as inappropriate
        Just incase anyone missed this brilliant solution from evw... this works a treat!

Open cmd box in admin mod

1. cd /users/<username>/OneDrive
        2. make a link like this:
        mklink /J <name of folder> <name of folder to sync>

Problem solved

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my view, OneDrive Business was created for business clients using Active Directory and hence able to use group policy objects to implement different settings. Most users of Windows take advantage of the "Shortcut" function to quickly move to a folder. However, this is not implemented on the OS level. In addition to shortcuts, Windows supports two types of symbolic directory links, where posts on the forum has showed. Once you create a symbolic link in the OneDrive folder, it will be seen as any folder by OneDrive. This way, you can link to any drive and folder and even to network folders and you can have as many symbolic links as you need.

Any organization using AD can then by a group policy simply create any structure with symbolic links in the OneDrive folder, thereby syncing any folder in the network or on the users computer to OneDrive. This feature can also be used together with AD defined folder redirection and would be considered as non-complicated and just ordinary AD administration by an experienced IT staff. And in that environment IT does NOT want the uses to decide what to sync and not sync, as among other issues you have to consider IT security.

The problem seems to be that "ordinary" users do not have the knowledge to use basic Windows features, like symbolic links, a feature as well found on Unix and Unix like systems, as BSD and Linux (and hence on the Apple operating system, that is based on Linux).

Out of your mind.
        It seems totally lacking to be able to move and set locations of individually synced folders. Even at the "root" level of SharePoint folders could have the setting of "move folder". Piece of trash.

полная жопа, жизненно востребованный функционал не хотят (могут но не хотят) сделать. разочарован....

3 years later and we are still left wanting. Terrible service. It would literally take someone 30mins at best to allow selection of system wide folders.

No wonder you're, and always will be a second rate provider.

• Graham Beech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just incase anyone missed this brilliant solution from evw... this works a treat!

Problem solved

Wow! The second time it didn't even ask for my email ID. I now have an "Anonymous" ID that has a valid email ID linked to it on onedrive uservoice forum.

Wow! Way to go Microsoft.

I'm not ******* anonymous. Your stupid forum shows the "Name" field only after hitting "Post Comments"

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this post looking for a solution. I have 1TB on OneDrive. My C: drive is an SSD and is 240GB ( 2x 120 GB with RAID for speed). I also have a standard hard drive of 1TB. I want to sync some folders of my 1TB drive for offsite backup. If I move the OneDrive folder to the 1TB drive I lose speed of access for files I use every day.

Microsoft - please explain why you do not support this.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox or Box will win this war, this is stupid on Microsoft's part.....

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will be recommending a cloud service that does offer this feature to my company. Shame was really wanting to incorporate Office and Onedrive, but this feature is a must have. We don't store documents locally or use the documents directory on the server either. Ignorant decision by Microsoft.

• evw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem solved

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base