I suggest you ...

Allow any folder to be synced

Currently if you want to sync files they must be saved to \users\<username>\OneDrive. This is way too limiting!!! Need to be able to define any folder in any path to be a synced folder.

802 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brent PearceBrent Pearce shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    not right now  ·  Ryan.ZacherRyan.Zacher responded  · 

Understand the request, but there are no plans for this at this time.

156 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Graham BeechGraham Beech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just incase anyone missed this brilliant solution from evw... this works a treat!

Open cmd box in admin mod

1. cd /users/<username>/OneDrive
        2. make a link like this:
        mklink /J <name of folder> <name of folder to sync>

Problem solved

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! The second time it didn't even ask for my email ID. I now have an "Anonymous" ID that has a valid email ID linked to it on onedrive uservoice forum.

Wow! Way to go Microsoft.

I'm not ******* anonymous. Your stupid forum shows the "Name" field only after hitting "Post Comments"

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this post looking for a solution. I have 1TB on OneDrive. My C: drive is an SSD and is 240GB ( 2x 120 GB with RAID for speed). I also have a standard hard drive of 1TB. I want to sync some folders of my 1TB drive for offsite backup. If I move the OneDrive folder to the 1TB drive I lose speed of access for files I use every day.

Microsoft - please explain why you do not support this.

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox or Box will win this war, this is stupid on Microsoft's part.....

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will be recommending a cloud service that does offer this feature to my company. Shame was really wanting to incorporate Office and Onedrive, but this feature is a must have. We don't store documents locally or use the documents directory on the server either. Ignorant decision by Microsoft.

• evwevw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open cmd box in admin mod

1. cd /users/<username>/OneDrive
        2. make a link like this:
        mklink /J <name of folder> <name of folder to sync>

Problem solved

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has this been closed? This is the most basic of functions for any cloud sync provider! This really limits the usefulness of OneDrive!!

• Sam AshleySam Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this isn't something that's being worked on. I have moved from a Mac and you have been able to do this on OSX for ages!

• Mathew BroadyMathew Broady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Workaround easiest, although it would be a useful feature.
        Find the Address of the folder you want to be synced. (ie. C:\Games\). Copy it.

Find the OneDrive location you wish for it to sync to. Hold shift and right click. On the context menu, click open command window here. In it type "mklink /j "YourCustomFolderName" "Address of Location(i.e. C:\Games\)"", without the outer punctuation marks.

This is like a shortcut that tells any programs that look there to look at another directory.
        This will sync anything inside the address you tell it to the folder created in a onedrive directory.

• Dub DublinDub Dublin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want us to use OneDrive (and charge us for the extra storage), make it really useful! Step one is being able to have ANY local folder mirrored to OneDrive. Step two is giving us some way to move our OneNote Notebooks to someplace other than the root of OneDrive's Documents folder, which conflicts with non-OneNote folders of the same name. This really seems like it should be a basic Windows feature, to me. (Oh, and backups to OneDrive would be nice, too. Just Sayin'...)

I can't understand why OneDrive doesn't have this function. I ended up buying MegaSync instead.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base