I suggest you ...

Enable differential sync (only sync parts of the files that changed)

Today OneDrive implements differential sync only for Office files (that is, syncing only the changes made to the file, instead of the entire file). It would be a significant improvement for this capability to work against any files in OneDrive - so smaller changes to a file would result in less data needing to be transmitted, meaning less time to sync changes back and forth, and more efficient use of network bandwidth.

5,264 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PJDPJD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SluiceSluice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've got 4 days left for this to come in Q2! Come on Microsoft, digital extraction time.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: This item created in 2014. And you're still just THINKING ABOUT IT.
        Why not just say "No, we don't care what you think, we're going to do other things."?

• Joseph VitaleJoseph Vitale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a priority. Because of this, i have had data overages on hotspot of $500 and up more than once.

• Tom TuckerTom Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish OneDrive sync was as fast as BitTorrent Sync (now Resilio)
        We switched to OneDrive when MS Teams came out and like it but miss the speed of BitTorrent Sync

• Jeremy CathJeremy Cath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for me this would be a big advantage... I use a couple of VMs that I want to be able to store in my OneDrive folder so it's easier to go between machines using the same image... but because it means syncing the VM every time there's a change rather than just delta's it's not practical

• Sven NiederbergerSven Niederberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should changing the tag of a video force it to reupload the whole 14GB file? This could save a lot of time and data traffic.

• PetePete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the one thing that's forcing us (a small company) to go with Dropbox. It makes a huge difference in syncing larger files. I really wish OneDrive had managed to add this feature.

• Philipp KursawePhilipp Kursawe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this still not even considered? What a shame for MS. Dropbox it is then. Differential sync since ages. Even streaming sync. Don't understand what MS is waiting for.

• JoJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive is an absolute joke. Awfully slow sync, and lacking the one technology that would put it on a level ground with top-tier providers like Dropbox. There's a reason why you're losing business Microsoft, - the lack of feedback and response is shameful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy that this has not been implemented....along with LAN peer-to-peer sync.

I was hoping that I can get by on OneDrive only with my MS365 sub, but it is pointless using if for anything but basic small office files.

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be solved if you used BranchCache, which would also allow for Lan-Lan transfers, a technology that is on every Windows box already.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base