I suggest you ...

Option to limit sync speed

I have a slower internet connection. If I don't rate limit my uploads, I can barely use my internet connection until it is fully uploaded. Dropbox gives an option to limit how fast I can upload and download files. I would love OneDrive to include this feature as well.

[Update by Angus Logan: merged PC and Mac suggestion on same topic]

1,906 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike Wills shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

189 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • J. C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two accounts, same onedrive agent. One personal and the other business. Why can't I set the bandwidth in the business account? It has no sense!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jason,

Are there any registry key entries to limit upload/download speed network settings for onedrive personal/business ?

• Nitish Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jason,
        Do we have Group Policy templates for this part to manage the upload/download settings domain wide?

• Graeme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running Win10 and suffering extremely slow internet. While my Internet provider was on the phone monitoring what he noted was high volume upload, I used Task Manager to Ënd" Onedrive. He noted an immediate change and I had Internet access back again. I am now trying to find how to disable/control Onedrive from hogging my bandwidth and no doubt chewing my data allocation. Insidious because I did not know I had activated it, or that it was operating in the background.

• Matthew H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Jason and the One Drive support team for implementing this feature. Great to finally have this resolved and not cripple the network bandwidth. Would be good to see this as a network admin feature to ensure specific speed settings can be easily pushed out across the domain.

• Alan Moody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank-you very much. I can now use my computer and internet as normal without having to shutdown any upload GREAT SERVICE

• Fred de Waard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only allow one-drive to operate whilst I have no other household computer in use as its uploading completely swamps my internet connection. A little silly really that This issue has been around so long and not resolved by Microsoft.

• Scott Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Roll on adding this capability to OneDrive when working to Office 365!

Testing from Win10 Aniv Update to OneDrive Personal: there's the network tab. Linked to O365 and the tab disappeared¿¿¿¿

• Matthew H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully down the track you'll provide ways for Network Admins to be able to set / roll out these settings as well.

• Lorenzo Viganò commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could consider to let us set peak hours and off-peak (so that OneDrive changes its bandwidth consumption accordingly... I'm thinking about some "advanced" option where I can add rules of peak / not peak, for instance during night OneDrive could absorbe all the BW while during weekend it must be limited at its minimum)

Limit bandwith is crucial for me. Having slow upload OneDrive is making entire internet connection useless even for others devices.
        So if there will be no such option, goole drive or dropbox is best choice!

My Onedrive still does not have the Network tab at all?? I'm running windows 10x64 and Onedrive personal, any advice?

Classic Microsoft: Convention is to express bandwidth in bits/sec, not bytes/sec. I just set the max bandwidth and it was using every bit of available upload bandwidth despite what I set. Silly me. Should have looked for MS math. There is a big "B" on the setting page instead of a little "b". Knuckleheads. Take the limit you want and divide by 8.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's only available on some of my, and my colleague's, computers though? What's the trick to getting this option?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

OneDrive: Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base