I suggest you ...

Improve sync/upload/download speeds using the desktop client

I don't know what's the reason, but the integrated onedrive syncing in Windows 8.1 is terribly slow for me. For both uploading and downloading files, on multiples devices and on many different networks.

It feels like it's an issue with the desktop syncing, because through the web app I get way higher speeds.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lukas TavesLukas Taves shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    boom! it's done  ·  Angus LoganAngus Logan responded  · 

Yesterday we announced increased Sync client performance https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive-now-supports-10-gb-files/

“As part of our push to continue improving the OneDrive desktop experience, we’ve increased the number of files that can be downloaded or uploaded at a given time on PCs and Macs. In internal tests, this parallel syncing netted an approximately threefold increase in syncing speed. Our performance enhancements have begun rolling out and will be available worldwide in the coming weeks.”

I’ll flag this as completed but performance updates (similar to security are never really completed, they are always being worked on. Let me know if yo uwant this reopened.

160 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen B.Stephen B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That modification may have performed well in Microsoft's tests, but real-world numbers are what I have to go by. OneDrive woefully underperforms most every cloud-based storage solution I have tried. I was considering doing the 5TB deal for the entire family, but after taking 2 weeks to sync my files (and it's still not done) I would give up the eye candy for decent sync speed. And, before anyone states anything about my internet connection, I'm on fiber for 10 hours a day, four days a week.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Microsoft ever actually respond to all this? The general consensus seems to be that OneDrive really isn't fit for purpose yet Microsoft don't seem to care? I am yet to find a response that doesn't just seek to deflect me to reference sources to increase the sync speed (none of which make any appreciable difference). Shocked at such a poor service from Microsoft. To be fair I have had similar issues with Google Drive who removed, downgraded and destroyed years of work on my photos from my Picasa set up. What's going on with these computer giants? It seems to me that the best way to store things is on an external hard drive to maintain the filing and quality required for precious documents and photos?

• Bob SmailesBob Smailes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well in 2017 it is still extremely poor compared with DropBox - so that solution didn't work.

• Joel BlattJoel Blatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive performance has been unacceptably variable. Over 200 GB downloaded within 24 hours one day and then less than 300 MB (!) downloaded over the next 24 hours. This is not a useful service -- it's a toy -- and certainly doesn't deserve payment. This needs to be fixed or else I may have to abandon Microsoft completely even though I would love to continue working with Office 365.

• Loo Soo YongLoo Soo Yong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here - syncing 700GB+ files literally takes weeks/months, but syncing 2GB files are quick as lightning. This completely defeats the purpose of having an Office 365 subscription, and I'm seriously considering to move to Google Drive. OneDrive is painfully slow when it comes to very large files. Google Drive is much faster and is more reliable than this.

• Eric-Jan H te AEric-Jan H te A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to me that we are experiencing the wrath of MS's OneDrive success. All these new users experimenting with what OneDrive can do for them is obviously generating more bandwidth than MS can chew.

And another one. Don't try to sync just over 1GB with 25K files. The more memory you have the more you get into trouble. To the point of BSOD.

But I managed to run OneDrive as a service so that my nightly back-ups are nicely synced, even when I'm not logged on. It works even for multiple users having their own OneDrive service running for them

• Travis BTravis B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Issue is decidedly BOOM! NOT DONE.

Brand new Win 10 laptop (pre anniversary update), wired connection, and only getting 1 - 2 MB/s down. At this rate it will take 9+ more days to finish syncing, and that's when I've only selected to sync a portion of my content.

SpeedTest.net reports a 79.60 MB/s download speed ... and that's WHILE OneDrive is still using 1-2 MB/s to do syncing at the same time. If OneDrive would just make use of most of that bandwidth, I could be done in 15 minutes.

I've had this laptop for a week now and I still can't take it with me to work, because I don't have access to my files, so I'm still lugging around my ****** old laptop that overheats and shuts off after an hour of use.

C'mon M$. Get it together!

• TerryTerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disgusting - 550 meg upload - 36 hours still at 350 meg uploaded - I'm out of here to Dropbox

27MB (note that's MEGABYTES, not gigabytes), 24 hours uploading, still waiting. One Drive suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks...

Extremely slow using Windows 10 ... 24 hrs to do 1.07 GB file and not complete yet

• SergeLLSergeLL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all the negative comments and then multiply them more than "threefold" in frustration and disappointment.
        I have been trying to make OneDrive work for me since last year. I was really hoping to use what might seem like an integral service to the Windows environment and MS Office use, but it just blows beyond belief! My MS Office365 subscription comes with 1TB per user so it should just be a no brainer to use on all computers... Not so.
        The last big sync for ONE of the computers I started was ~150Gig sync after being out of the country for several months.
        That was close to the end of APRIL!
        I have been leaving the computer on almost every single day/night since then at least at 25KB/s in the OneDrive settings and whenever I can with no speed limit.
        It is now AUGUST and the job is still 90+ Gigs pending.
        This is BULL!!!
        And that's not even considering all the lost files since it can never quite catch up to daily activity and then it just ends up overwriting newer files.
        I really tried to like it or at least make it useful, but OneDrive just BLOWS all around!

• Jan-ErikJan-Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what is the reason that make One Drive so terribly slow using my Androide Samsung phone?

• daviddavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same guy. really! download crashed and had to start over 3.5 hours in. Not my system. Nothing recoverable from the download in a zip file. This is getting worse. They plan to delete my content if I don't upgrade.

• daviddavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still Pathetic speeds. why would I purchase more forced space. Downloading 30 gigs to save my stuff now. 35 minutes ongoing 766 MB only (255kb a second)=1.064 gig per hour? 1 day and 4hours and 30 minutes to download? really?

• AustinAustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate to burst your bubble Angus, but when you say an increase of threefold in upload speeds????
        When you start with virtually no speed, an increase of threefold is still pathetic.
        I have quit using Onedrive due to the still pathetically slow speed of this app.

Perhaps Microsoft needs to reevaluate their SaaS and any involvement with Cloud applications. Microsoft is simply light years behind! Total waste of time.

24 hours have passed since I began the upload of 20 songs...14 have uploaded. You call this an increase in speed?

• John UsherJohn Usher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have begun to question my sanity....OneDrive setup is taking way too long....two hours so far and I'm beginning to believe that it is not going to be the product of choice....there are other ways to do this and it seems ridiculous in this day and age to have this sort of problem. Microsoft where are you?

• SalimSalim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very poor user interface and **** speed. I cut and paste from my cam to onedrive, and I loose them in both.......Synchronisation is another pain in the A...s

• JeremyJeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive should be renamed to OneDrivvle

MS = Mediocre Service or Miserly Speed, I have completely moved to Google, 35.9 GB to sync to OneDrive and in 1 week (yes - 7 full days) of OneDrivvle Sync on Windows 10 on a 100MBIT cable service less than 10% (3.19 GB).

Pffft not worth the effort nor the time to try and fix this where other quality services are available and thousands of %'s faster.

Pull up your socks MS

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base