I suggest you ...

Remove the limit (20,000) of files that can be stored in OneDrive for Business

There is a hard limit of 20,000 files on top of the file size limit. Please remove the # of file limit.

3,437 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

229 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MR - You don't need to use the OneDrive for Business client anymore. MS announced in December that you can now use the standard OneDrive client for shared libraries. If you are using Office 2013/2016 (I think, may want to verify this), you can do real-time document collaboration as well.

To use the standard OneDrive client, you'll have to import a registry key on each machine, and then restart the service. From then on, when you click "Sync" in Sharepoint, it will launch the new client.

Reg fix for OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Enable-users-to-sync-SharePoint-files-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-22e1f635-fb89-49e0-a176-edab26f69614

Document Collaboration: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-ee1509b4-1f6e-401e-b04a-782d26f564a4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• MRMR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I am in a nightmare. Have to be! 7 employee law office just switched over Office 365 Business, and they have 408 GB of data and 199,000 files, folders, etc. I spent weeks uploading this data, because OneDrive for Business (latest version of it as of 3/8/2017) still wont synchronise enough files and folders....really Microsoft? I spent another week trying to map peoples drives to Sharepoint Libraries, which in itself is a nightmare, because the users have to keep signing back into IE11 to keep the connection alive. I tried Network Locations, wihch work briefly but then timeout. WTF. PLEASE HELP US MAN!! ****

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Anthony D.
        I was ready to upload 250Gb files in order to switch from Dropbox.
        On hold.... again....

• Anthony D.Anthony D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the launch of the next gen sync client I tried to upload a company's files "394 Gigs" up to ODFB and it all synced up (after cleaning up the Special Characters #,* etc) So now I have the company's files uploaded and ready to roll. I have a dedicated account for this task let's call it "OneDrive@consto.com"

Next step was to start sharing out folders to specific groups of users. For example: "Finance" folder shared out to 10 users in finance so that their on prem storage shares are available when they sign into ODFB while offsite.

So.. now that the item limit was removed all is well right? nope! turns out they left the 20,000 "Share Limit" meaning I cannot right click the finance folder from the Office 365 portal and share to specific users because although the folder is say 165 gigs.. it contains 64,000 files and therefore cannot be shared.

• aiden carteraiden carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Long path tool is the very best program for error, unlock solution.
        Try it and solved your problem.
        I used the long path tool and I solved my error, unlocks problem solution.

• Vien LeVien Le commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 20K limit is gone. I confirm that. I've just tested through my whole company clients. Because now OD4B new sync client absolutely replaces Sharepoint sync, now you can sync "Shared resources" with the OD4B.

• Greg GeisenGreg Geisen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

has this been solved yet? two years ago I tired to use One Drive for Business. Ended up buying a Synology drive and creating a personal cloud. I run a small business. our client files are all small word and pdf documents that equal: 25GB total, 74,000 Files, 4,500 folders. We would love to use our "1TB" of cloud storage but a 20K limit is crazy.

• Nicki RNicki R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

20,000 items is not sufficient, even for a small business. We have been using the system for less than a year and have already hit the limit. Not very good!

In addition - we have experienced a number of issues relating to the character limit for files. This is also inadequate for any business that wishes to store files in a logical fashion using sub folders. The sharepoint system seems to be not fit for purpose for small businesses.

• ParmarParmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to move three clients back to dropbox or even worse they are pushing me to consider Google Apps. Can someone please do the following:

1. Create a proper automated tool to migrate to new version of the OD4B sync client.
        2. remove limits from sharepoint libraries and OD4B

It has been a ridiculous amount of time with no results and I am having to answer to my clients on why I chose to go with OneDrive for Business in the first place

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jason Moore,
        It seems like even Microsoft confuses OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. The 20,000 limit still exists on OD4B. The "next gen" client does not yet support syncing to Sharepoint.

I'd be really happy to be wrong, but I think you still have the 20,000 file sync limit on Sharepoint Libraries. Plus the 5,000 limit on individual libraries. Plus the inability to select folders that you want to sync in OD4B.

I am just trying to share files between myself and an employee and can't get above 5K files. He is a part of our organization with an office365 password our organization pays for. I have shared the folders with him, and when he goes into his online OneDrive he has to navigate to files shared with me. When he tries to sync it, it gives a too large error. This is driving me crazy, since we have converted our entire business to the cloud storage and chose, after careful consideration, OneDrive for Business as our resource, and Office365 subscriptions as our tool package.

Can somebody tell me why the heck he can't even sync the files? I have looked at every thread and tip, and he has installed OneDrive for Business and it is the most current version. Is it the way I am sharing the folder that is causing it? If so, then what is the best practice for enterprise sharing?

• Mario P.Mario P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you confirm that this 20K limitation has been lifted for (Trial Subscriptions ) ?

My Customer is testing syncing 5 computers from one Business Premium account 206Gigs worth of Data and so far not a single machine has been able to sync properly in the past 5days.

Can you please tell us if there is a bandwidth limitation when Synching 5 devices at once?

Shall we Sync one at a time? Also the Syncing only certain folder feature doesn't work.

It only wants us to sync the whole structure.

I have Windows 10 on a brand new machine. Everything I read tells me that I can't install a newer client for OneDrive, so I used it to try and upload my 'Documents' folder which has roughly 114,000 files. One drive told me that it was successful after about 5 hours, but when I looked in the directories, most of my files were missing. What's the current status of this 20,000 limit because it sure looks like I'm running into it.

• HarryHarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add subscription discount for those who have been plagued by problems in not fit for purpose office 365

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about OneDrive not for business? What's the limit there?

BOOM! IT'S DONE???!!!

Nah.. Sharepoint library still have this limitations and the freaking 5000 limit of items!!

Great... now get rid of the ridiculous 250 character path limit. New sync client still falls over with long file/folder names or deeply nested folder structures. STILL can't migrate my dropbox or sync my documents folders...

• Vien LeVien Le commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, I know that now OneDrive for Business has been removed this 20,000 sync files limitation, but how about SharePoint Document Library sync, it still have this limit. Now we can't sync the library (shared folders) with over 20,000 files and 2GB file size.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base