I suggest you ...

Allow local accounts full use of desktop and modern apps

The desktop and modern apps on Windows 8.1 require you to log in to the computer with a Microsoft Account in order to access any functionality at all. This dramatically limits my ability to use OneDrive due to two distinct situations that affect me.

1) IT policy at my day-job company allows me to have personal content on my work machine within certain boundaries, but Group Policy prohibits logging into our machines with a Microsoft Account. This means that I can't access any consumer OneDrive content on such devices without going through the website.

2) I keep a separate Microsoft Account for (night-job) business-related activity, which includes shared OneDrive resources. I would like to be able to use the OneDrive modern app to browse and access these while still having my personal account synchronize files with my local file system. My current way of keeping the personal and professional aspects of my life organized sanely is to log in with a local account and log in to each app separately. This is totally incompatible with OneDrive and I don't see a satisfactory workaround.

Unlike another suggestion [1] I don't see any need to use multiple accounts for synchronization or even different accounts per app (considering modern and desktop to be two different apps). I just want to be able to access basic functionality without being forced to a specific authentication workflow on my main user profile.

[1] https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-general/suggestions/6327047-allow-multiple-onedrive-accounts-integrated-into-w

147 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dominic PeaseDominic Pease shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RoyiRoyi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jason Moore, do you mean we'll have OneDrive access and sync for Local Accounts?

Thank You.

• Corinne DuyvisCorinne Duyvis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From what I can tell, this is the case for OneDrive in Windows 10. I'm testing it in a virtual machine and can sign into OneDrive while on a local account. Hopefully they'll a) keep that feature in the final Windows 10 version, and b) extend it to previous Windows versions.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Added 3 of my votes to this one major showstopper for using 8.1.
        I'm struggling to understand the reasoning behind this. Having a consistent policy across all operating system makes sense, include local account support or not.

• Corinne DuyvisCorinne Duyvis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I want to keep my local account for numerous reasons, but also want to be able to use OneDrive to sync my files rather than needing a third-party workaround. Just allow us to sign into the application, the same way we can choose to sign in individually for other applications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just threw down 3 votes for this. Removing my local account on Windows 8.1 is the one reason i refuse to use OneDrive.

• OswaldOswald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They really hobbled the version in 8.1 by "integrating" it. It now is less useful for this very reason. In my local accounts on my computer (I have multiple accounts to segregate work), I cannot access my OneDrive because it will only work with a Microsoft Account. For those local accounts, I am forced to use the web page. This is much less convenient than in Windows 7 or 8. At work, using a local (domain) account under Windows 7, there is much better integration just using the add-on client.

• LukaLuka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, very much needed, mostly due to business vs personal, or multi-user scenarios. Also, some people will just want their PC user account to stay "local" (not connected), but they will want the ability to login inside OneDrive app/client.

• RoyiRoyi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really needed.
        We have a computer 3 different people use and we don't want to create different users.

Hence we use one local user.
        We want to the ability to access our OneDrive on Windows 8.1.

You can enforce "Logign" at start up and have multi predefined accounts.

OneDrive: Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base