OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow files of any size to be uploaded and synced

As much as I appreciate the hard work of the Onedrive team for removing the 2GB file size limit and pushing the limit to 10GB, I was really hoping for an unlimited file size when syncing from the desktop or other localized app. I might be an edge case, but I use a competitor to sync VHD's (Virtual Hard Drives) that I use for various purposes and those are far larger than 10GB.

1,542 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are dealing with large point clouds files which can be up to 100gb and more. Never had any problem upload them to dropbox except for the time it takes but now that we are forced to work with onedrive, it's a nightmare to share files with our customers, not only because of the file size thing but also because it's impossible to send a file request to our customers that don't have any tools at all to share their files with us. Those are two major issues that you guys should consider fixing real fast since i'm considering going back to DropBox and I know for sure I'm not the only one ;)

• Inventologist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you Put your VHDs inside of a split VMDK file it would work fine.

Using the following:

1) VirtualBox (to create the Split VMDK) - https://www.virtualbox.org/

2) ImDisk (to mount the Split VMDK) - https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/

Quick and Dirty instructions:

1) Download and install VirtualBox

2) Download and install ImDisk

3) Command Create Split VMDK: (change --filename and --size params as you see fit)

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" createmedium --filename D:\VirtualMachines\VMDK-SPLIT\VMs-VMDK-SPLIT.vmdk --format VMDK --size 123904 --variant fixed,Split2G

This will setup the disk in 2GB increments. Sorry, there is NO facility to change that to any other increment size. I checked.

4) Run the "Mount Image File" program on your desktop

Supply the:

Image File, Drive Letter

and then Check the box next to "Mount at Windows Startup"

5) When you go to mount this, IMDisk will ask you to to Format the drive. Do that. After ImDisk formats it, it WILL NOT APPEAR in the drive list. Then Windows will ask you to format the drive again. DO THAT ALSO. That's when it WILL appear in the drive list.

You're all done. Now it will be permanently mounted!

So, you want some more control over the mounting? OR maybe you want to change the drive letter or completely stop it from auto mounting? Go to the registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImDisk

There you will find the registry entries for the drive letter

Here is my .reg file that I use to control that:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImDisk]
        "MountPoint"=dword:00000000
        "MountDir"=""
        "ImMaxReg"=dword:00000000
        "Im0FileName"="D:\VirtualMachines\VMDK-SPLIT\VMs-VMDK-SPLIT.vmdk"
        "Im0MountPoint"="U:"
        "Im0Param"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00

To completely remove the mounting, just delete the registry entries in that IMDisk key.

NOTE: I chose U: as a drive letter because the Veracrypt container I have inside this I map as V:

I've done this already and found it to work pretty well.

Hope this works for everyone.
        Please comment on your success or your problems with this solution.

• A. Helms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to store some AVCHD video files (.mts format). Some of my largest files are nearly 25GB. How can I get this to OneDrive with the 15GB limit? Now that HD and UHD video have become commonplace, the 15GB limit is going to be insufficient for certain circumstances.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to store Visual Studio offline installation however ISO file is 41GB, not even close to this limit.

• Robert Fletcher-Dallas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have spent 3 weeks transferring files from Dropbox to One Drive and this has been a very difficult transfer.

The 15gb limit was only revealed to me during the transfer and even though I only have a few individual files which are over this limit I had to gradually upload my directory folder by folder or it crasehd and stopped transferring.

Moving 1.5TB folder by folder is a laborious and extremely time consuming process and I am very dissapointed there is not a better method for acheiving this. I am more dissapointed that the problems with transferring files are not clearly outlined with some strategies for managing them. This would have saved me about a week of crashes and botched attempts.

Now that everything is up (apart from the files over 15gb) the general usage is pretty good and speeds seem to be similar to Dropbox.

I would like an answer from Microsoft about the following things:

1) What am I actually supposed to do with files over 15gb?
        The service is supposed to be a complete cloud hard drive solution and this limit prevents it from being so.

2) Why are the individual file limits not clearly communicated before organisations begin the painful process of moving all company files?

• María Rosa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

perdón yo adquirí premium y no me genera ampliación de almacenamiento
        quisiera saber cuáles son los motivos

• Asanka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think 20GB not enough to the present,Minimum try to set as it 50GB
        Why do we need to pay for limitations?

• Miguel Tabera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
      • robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

considering the push of virtual technologies and the creation of vhd's/vhdx it seems very strange that the default size of most vhd's is larger than the single file limit allowed by onedrive. Perhaps you can intelligently allow certain file types to be uploaded for backup, or even offer a basic mirroring service ?

• Eb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10GB file size limit is ridiculous! OneDrive is stuck in 2008.

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this seems a bit silly given the options elsewhere... I have backed Onedrive for a long time, but more and more it seems like Google or Dropbox are better options due to oversights such as this

• Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're not an edge case. I want to fill up my 5 TB. It's a pain in the butt to migrate to ODFB from our local shares because I can't just drag and drop them in to the cloud.

• Chad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox has no file upload size limitations when using their app. Only a limit when using a web-browser to upload and even then that is 20GB. Should be able to match that Microsoft!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

OneDrive Archive: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base